maybe i'm just cynical ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
but doesn't this pattern feel familiar? consider:

1. Iraq going from bad to worse, the public grows disillusioned

2. Katrina is botched, americans recoil at the ineptitude of a government that allows people to drown when it rains

3. a somewhat embarassing SCOTUS pick that starts a civil war within the Republican party and exposes the massive chasm between emotional and intellectual conservatives

4. Tom DeLay, "the Hammer," is indicted and removed as Majority Leader

5. Sen. Frist under investigation for suspicious stock dumpings

6. Bush gives a speech about Iraq, strains to link it, again, with 9-11 and the GWOT, and we hear more tone-deaf catchphrases and simplistic dichotomies like cowardice vs. courage.

7. Rove is making his fourth command appearance before a grand jury and the special prosecutor has stipulated that he cannot guarantee that Rove will not be in for an indictment.

in short, it's been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad 2005 for the GOP in general, and the Bushies in particular.

so then what happens?

New York subway system on alert

Thursday, October 6, 2005; Posted: 6:01 p.m. EDT (22:01 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The FBI has shared a "specific threat" with New York officials against its subway system, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Thursday.

"If you see something, say something. Call ... 911 if it's an emergency," he said, urging vigilance.

Bloomberg added that he plans to travel on the subway Thursday and Friday.

There were indications that a terrorist attack on the subway system was possible "in coming days," said New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

The subway system carries up to 7 million commuters daily.

The heightened alert came 10 days after the arrest of nine people in France allegedly plotting attacks on the Paris subway, an airport and an intelligence agency's headquarters. (Full story)

"We can't be too careful, and the precautions that New York City has taken are appropriate and make a good deal of sense," said Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, a Democrat. "We cannot be in a situation where we don't turn over every stone. But the bottom line is that in the post-911 world, you can't be too careful."

In July, London's public transportation system was attacked twice. At least 52 people died, and 700 people were wounded when four men detonated their bombs aboard subway trains and a double-decker bus on July 7. The morning rush-hour attacks represented the city's bloodiest day since World War II.

Nobody was killed when simultaneous attacks were again carried out on three London subway trains and a bus two weeks later on July 21.

In a speech Thursday, President Bush said that since September 11, 2001, the United States and its allies have thwarted 10 al Qaeda attacks worldwide, three of them inside the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/06/newyork.subways/index.html

now, this might be entirely credible. i hope it's not. i take subways every single day. it's terrifying.

but it sure *feels* like we've seen this movie before.

these senators better toe the line
or pay some hack to open their mail

they make break out the anthrax again

bushdisaster9kr.jpg

Completely cynical but I had the same thought...

I wouldn't doubt that this is on the "to do" list of the terrorists though.

I hope nothing happens!

I see :wink:

As cynical as I am about Bush et al, I find it impossible to believe that they would resort to that. That would be truly evil. I think the terrorists just sense that we are vulnerable right now, or they are constantly up to things and we don't always find out. It's just a matter of time before they succeed.

be safe everyone in NYC

I don't think Irivine was implying that the administration is planning to 'do' a terrorist attack... I think the point was that when things look bad on the popularity front, it's not unheard of to raise some sort of terror warning. And it's not unheard of.

Kieran McConville said:
I don't think Irivine was implying that the administration is planning to 'do' a terrorist attack... I think the point was that when things look bad on the popularity front, it's not unheard of to raise some sort of terror warning. And it's not unheard of.

I know that's not what he was implying :) I think it would be evil to raise a warning as some sort of distraction, to f w/ people like that is obviously wrong.

Yeah, as a New Yorker, this kind of freaked me out, especially since I've got a friend visiting for "U2 Week" and we're going to be running around on the subways more often than I usually do. What can you do though? Absolutely nothing.

Part of me thinks it is just a diversion-type thing. They did the same thing my freshman year, the year after 9/11. There'd be these random warnings, and I got incredibly depressed and freaked out. Though really, how could I not. It's hard enough being a freshman, hundreds of miles away from home...throw on top of that being smack in the middle of all of their terrorist hot spots: surrounded by subways stops, near bridges, city hall, the financial district, a university, etc, etc, etc. They'd have all these ridiculous reports about buying your subway chemical safety gear...because it's such a good idea to have freaked out people wandering around the subway w/ their safety kits complete w/ little hammers/picks, etc.

I don't know. I'm just going to tell myself that it's a bogus claim, if for no other reason than it'll make it easier for me to get out the door and swipe my MetroCard. Frankly, it can't be that serious if CNN is spotlighting TomKat's baby and Scientology's belief in "silent birth," right?!?!?

Irvine511 said:

6. Bush gives a speech about Iraq, strains to link it, again, with 9-11 and the GWOT, and we hear more tone-deaf catchphrases and simplistic dichotomies like cowardice vs. courage.

You know, I read your post and then the pay-off, and thought 'haha pretty damn clever". Not really surprised by the list.
Nothing that removed from any left/right political bullshit issue in the sense that the blame always goes to those in power, the issue gets magnified for those in power etc.

the only thing that really bothered me, yet again is the quote above. It's a disgrace, a shame and whatever other adjective desrcibes it adequately.

Why some conservatives, and not all of course, but a lot of conservatives don't call the admin out on this horseshit is disgusting. They will link 9/11 and Iraq until Jan 30th 2009.
And even further depending on circumstances. But right now, count on 3 more years of this bullshit.

Does this bother your average Bushie? I don't think so.
I don't think your average Bushie or your average Kerry/Clinton/Gore-ie knows the god damn difference.

What I mean is, they are too busy playing politics to see the offensive nature of the claim. It's a political issue that trumps an issue of aboslute morality. Who are the morality champions? We all know. And they are the ones playign this card.

That is truly what bothers me.

Last edited:
From a foreigner's POV, the more Bush milks 9/11 in political rhetoric, the more he diminishes the event. It seems that he is invoking the memory of that horrifying day to justify his administrations' actions which has nothing to do with Iraq, IMO.

Since bush's rating (approval) is now a whopping 37% (CBS news)..... :shrug:

I don't know, I think that time is beginning to tell the truth.

Personally, I don't like the leadership of this country, at the momet.... I don't "approve" of it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/06/AR2005100600455_pf.html

"The United States and its allies have thwarted at least 10 serious al Qaeda terrorist plots since Sept. 11, 2001, including never-before-disclosed plans to use hijacked commercial airliners to attack the East and West coasts in 2002 and 2003, President Bush and his aides said yesterday.

The reported plots aimed to strike a wide variety of targets, including the Library Tower in Los Angeles, ships in international waters and a tourist site overseas, the White House said last night. Three of the 10 were directed at U.S. soil, officials said. The government, they added, also stopped five al Qaeda efforts to case possible targets or infiltrate operatives into the country.

Most of the plots were previously reported in some form; a few were revealed yesterday. The White House had never before placed a number or compiled a public list of the foiled attempts to follow up the Sept. 11 attacks, but it offered scant information beyond the location and general date of each reported plot -- making it difficult to assess last night how serious or advanced they were or what role the government played in preventing them."

nbcrusader said:
Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

A relatively new syndrome - I think the medical community will recognize it in a few years. :wink:

So is there an equivalent for those of the opinion that Clinton authorised military intervention to distract attention from the Lewinsky scandal?

the greatest trick the VRWC ever pulled was making you believe it didn't exist ...

come on, it's so freakin' real, it's all coordinated -- no, there's not some brain in a jar calling all the shots (the closest thing is Rove), but it is all highly coordinated.

again, i point to the Swift Boat lies. perfect example.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Police shut down parts of New York's busy Penn Station Friday morning after an unknown substance was found in a soda can near Amtrak's ticket counter, authorities said.

The incident came a day after authorities warned of a specific terror threat against the city's subway system.

A police source told CNN's Jeanne Meserve that initial tests on the green bubbly substance found in the can indicate it is a green dye mixed with sodium hydroxide -- also known as caustic soda or lye. It appears to be a hoax, the source said.

Sodium hydroxide is used in many cleaners. It can be poisonous if ingested and can cause severe burns if it gets on someone's skin or in their eyes.

None of the station was evacuated, and police requested the closures so they could carry out an investigation, Amtrak's assistant superintendent Mike Gallagher said.

"There was no danger at any time to anyone, " Gallagher said.

Back
Top Bottom