Massive Angels' Action Alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
CALLING ALL ANGELS!

The Jubilee Debt Cancellation Bill was just re-introduced into Congress. PLEASE contact your Reps today! :yes: :hyper:

See the Action Alert below for details.

JUBILEE USA NETWORK

Action Alert – March 8, 2005

TAKE ACTION: Ask your Representative to co-sponsor the JUBILEE Act!

We recently celebrated a small step forward during the early February G-7 Finance Ministers meeting -- for the first time, the G-7 as a group officially indicated the need for "as much as 100% multilateral debt relief." Unfortunately, the G-7 has not indicated any specifics and they have pushed discussion on eligible countries, financing, conditions, etc. to the April spring meetings of the IMF/World Bank.

The JUBILEE Act (HR 1130) expresses a much broader Jubilee vision for debt cancellation. The Act calls for debt cancellation for 50 impoverished nations -- not just the HIPC countries -- and it insists that such cancellation comes without devastating economic conditions and is paid for from the IMF/World Bank’s own resources. As the G-7 debate debt cancellation, let us build strong support for the JUBILEE Act and point to it as a real plan worth supporting!

This month, please call, write or meet your Member of Congress and ask him/her to co-sponsor the Act. To call your Representative, you may reach the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 or go to www.house.gov to find your member's Web site. We need Jubilee supporters to act now more than ever.

For more information on the JUBILEE Act, including a copy of the bill itself, talking points, and background information visit www.jubileeusa.org.

As always, let me or our webgoddess Queen Bee know once you've called or written to be added to the Angels' list! :angel:

SD

I e-mailed my Rep, Spencer Bachus, who is a long-time supporter of debt relief. He has met with and worked with Bono. There was a cute little piece about their meeting in the local press, it seems like he'd never heard of U2, but his kids sure had, it turned out that they are U2 fans and he was able to get autographs for his kids.

Back
Top Bottom