Masculinism/Feminism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Everyone has heard of the Feminism movement, but why is there no masculinism? Modern day feminists argue that they should have the same rights as men, but what I am concerned the most with is their demand that they are accepted into the same establishments as men.

The most recent example I can think of is the feminist movements actions to allow women golfers to play in a Masters tournament. As Augusta is a male only club - women cannot play there, thus there could be now women's masters. I do not know how I feel about this, but I would like to put forth the idea of masculinism. I think men should fight for their rights to be allowed in the areas that women are only allowed in. Here are some of the places I think we *should* be allowed to go:

1. Women's locker rooms
2. Ladies only bathrooms
3. Women's dressing rooms in ALL clothing stores
4. Women's bathhouses

Now I am not trying to make light of the feminist movemnet, I do not really even care about it, I just want access to the aforementioned places.

And you thought this was going to be some kind of serious post...

:wave:
:sexywink:

deep said:
You can get all your needs? met at a strip club.

I think the operative word(implied in original post) is "free"
access.

This is such a tricky issue. On one hand, I strongly believe in the right of free assocation. On the other hand, the Augusta "tradition" does, I must confess, seem outdated and chauvinistic.

I don't know anything about golf, so I'm perhaps not qualified to comment on this. But there are a few issues at work here. The course/club, as a private organization, *does* have the right to exclude women, just, for example, as the Supreme Court ruled that the Boy Scouts has the right to exclude gays. But just because someone has the *right*--does that make it, in fact, **right**?

Maybe not **right** in the way we're accustomed to thinking about it. I'm not sure. I honestly have no clue why women aren't allowed to play at Augusta, and while it sounds like a good-old-boys club that you couldn't pay me to belong to, I guess maybe some women would like to be admitted to it. ::shrugs:: Whatever. I could get fired up over the women who wanted to go to the Citadel and VMI; as public institutions, they *were* practicing discrimination. Augusta is just practicing free association--or chauvinism, whichever you prefer. It's probably somewhere in the middle of the two.

The larger issue, of course, is whether we are at the point as a society in which everyone should have admission to everything. And I tend to believe, much to the chagrin of some of my liberal brothers and sisters, that maybe it's not such a bad thing for the boys and the girls to go off on their own sometimes. I understand that Augusta is a much more high-profile thing than, for example, the "Iron John" movements of the late '80s and early '90s (wherein men would go off into the woods to form drum circles and discuss the state of masculinity) or "Oprah"-style women's book clubs. But I ask you as men and women: aren't there certain activities that you feel more comfortable performing single-sex?

(I'm NOT defending Augusta here; it's run by rich powerful white men and doesn't need me to defend it. I just wanted to raise the issue of what might be called voluntary sexual segregation.)

Last edited:
ouizy said:
Everyone has heard of the Feminism movement, but why is there no masculinism? Modern day feminists argue that they should have the same rights as men, but what I am concerned the most with is their demand that they are accepted into the same establishments as men.

The most recent example I can think of is the feminist movements actions to allow women golfers to play in a Masters tournament. As Augusta is a male only club - women cannot play there, thus there could be now women's masters. I do not know how I feel about this, but I would like to put forth the idea of masculinism. I think men should fight for their rights to be allowed in the areas that women are only allowed in. Here are some of the places I think we *should* be allowed to go:

1. Women's locker rooms
2. Ladies only bathrooms
4. Women's bathhouses

Hehe. Though they don't want to be in the Masters, they want to be able to join the club it is being held at. Sorry to be serious.

Now I am not trying to make light of the feminist movemnet, I do not really even care about it, I just want access to the aforementioned places.

:wave:
:sexywink:
:shrug: :crazy: :shrug: :crazy:

I want to be part of spa lady but i cant because i have a penis. Hmmmm i wonder if i had a all male gym would women be up in arms about it. The same sort of thing with firefighters. My brother is trying to get into the city force but its very very hard to be a white male aged 23-26. Some in the force say its the most diffucult postion to be in to enter the force. Woman are subject to less intensive physical tests. I'm sorry but if i'm in a burning building i want the most prepared and strongest person to be savings me. I'm not a small man, i'm 6'1 220 and i want someone who can handle me. I do not want a person of any age race or sex that cannot handle me trying too.

Equality is great but using common sense sometimes is much more vauleable!!!

I'm no fan of feminism. Infact...meh, I'll shut up. I'll only offend!
I dont see men and women as equal, and therefore fighting to be recognised as such, to me is...I cant find the right word...

With things like Augusta and the crap going on there, I dont believe there is any wrong doing being committed. Its only golf. It is a Man's Club. if the women are so pissed, let the rich wives fund their own womens only club.

Its all a bit different to discrimination though. In the workplace for eg, there shouldn't be a difference. Women who can do the same job as a man, should be allowed and at the same rate of pay etc.

Ouzy, if you want to use womens toilets etc...dont bother me. We pee behind closed doors. Unlike you blokes who flop it out for the world to see. Hell, you got the advantage anyway as you know equality in public restrooms will still mean you guys get your privacy as most women couldn't cope with the stench that permeates yours, and stick to ours still anyway.

ouizy said:
Here are some of the places I think we *should* be allowed to go:

1. Women's locker rooms
2. Ladies only bathrooms
4. Women's bathhouses

:tsk: :rolleyes: :tsk:

Angela Harlem said:
I dont see men and women as equal, and therefore fighting to be recognised as such, to me is...I cant find the right word...

Do you mean that men and women are not *equal*, or that men and women are not *the same*?

I do not think men and women are the same, but damn straight they're equal. :)

Caught me! Gotta be so careful with words around here! Yeah I meant 'the same'. I guess my only beef really applies to employment. And even then there are concessions I think that need to be made. Some jobs are better suited for men, and some for women. Overall I dont believe there should be much of a difference in that regard. But this wasn't intended as a serious debate, so I'll leave it.

:)

mad1 said:
so basically, from what ur tellin me, and what Ive learnt through this thread, for the first time:

Ouizy is actually a male and not female?
:ohmy:

:lmao: :laugh: :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom