Mary Kay Letourneau/Vili Fualaau - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Mary Kay Letourneau/Vili Fualaau

Any thoughts about this story? For those that don't know, the short version is that Letouneau was an elementary schoolteacher in the early-mid 90s who got involved with a 12 year old student, Vili Fualaau. They got to the point of having intercourse, and she got pregnant with his child. It couldn't be hidden anymore after that and a close friend of hers turned her in. Cops busted a school staff meeting and arrested her. She got sentenced to 7 years for second-degree child rape but only served 3 months because of good behavior. While she was in prison, her husband, with whom she had four children, filed for divorce. She also had the child with Vili while in prison. When she got out, she had contact with Vili, which was a violation of the terms of her early release, and so she was sent back to jail to serve the full 7 and a half years. In the short time period between jail sentences, she got pregnant again with Vili's second child. She had the child while in prison. Both children were in the custody of Vili's mother. Letourneau served her full sentence and was released late last year. She and Vili, now in his early 20s, are still together and raising their two children. They will be married soon.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:10 PM
If the roles were reversed, the man would still be in prison.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:10 PM
I think Mary Kay is a mentally unstable woman who is living in a dream world. She truly doesn't believe she has done anything wrong and I feel really sorry for the 6 kids she has brought into the world.

OT but might shed some insight into her psychological makeup: Her father was John Schmitz, a super ultra conservative Republican Congressman from California. He portrayed himself as a staunchly Catholic family man with 7 children but his poltical career ended when it was revealed that he had a pregnant mistress and a 15 month old child. This was huge news here in Orange County because the mistress was arrested for child abuse after one of the kids almost lost his penis after a hair had been wrapped around it, cutting off circulation and she didn't notice.

As for Vili, I think he is a scheming opportunist who is going to milk this for all its worth. He wrote a book detailing their sex life, he freely admits he didn't exactly wait for her while she was in prison and now he's sitting back watching the wedding gifts roll in. I give it 5 years at the most.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

She's finished her prison sentence and he's 21 years old. Honestly, there's nothing that can be done. And if they get a divorce in 5 years? Well, it will have lasted longer than most celebrity marriages.

As for "role reversals"? I don't know. Part of me agrees with you, but, at the same time, part of me wonders if Vili's constant insistence that this was "consentual" didn't have something to do with the lenience of the sentence. Sure, it was statutory rape and prosecuted accordingly, but it is certainly difficult to throw a book at someone for being a "child molester" when the "child" is claiming he wanted it. Overall, this is probably one of the strangest cases ever brought to court.

But, like I said, they're not doing anything illegal anymore.

Melon
Old 05-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
They really do seem to be in love. I think maybe it's time to overcome this prejudice of society too, and realize that all young people involved with older people aren't 'victims' and the older ones aren't always 'sexual predators.' Of course in most cases it's improper and not consensual, but this proves that there really was something to their relationship and she did not belong in jail. I wish them happiness.

Damn I'm jealous of her face and hair and bod, she's my age but I don't look that hot!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
BAW
The Flower

Its true they aren't doing anything illegal right now and maybe they really are in love but look at all the people that were hurt along the way. There are 6 kids involved that for the most part have lost their mother. I think she has pretty limited visitation with her 4 kids from her first marriage and Vili's mother is raising the other 2. True love or not, it seems like a pretty high price to pay to be together.

I don't wish them any ill will but its kind of hard to forget that he was 12 when this started and she was in a position of responsibility as his teacher.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Refugee

a teacher going after her 6th grade student is lewd.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:10 PM
I think they're both using each other, Mary Kay lost sanity years ago, along with her husband and teaching job. Vili and his mommy became greedy schemists who were after the big bucks. Sounds like child prostitution via lawsuit if you ask me.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #9
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by Seabird
They really do seem to be in love. I think maybe it's time to overcome this prejudice of society too, and realize that all young people involved with older people aren't 'victims' and the older ones aren't always 'sexual predators.' Of course in most cases it's improper and not consensual, but this proves that there really was something to their relationship and she did not belong in jail. I wish them happiness.

Damn I'm jealous of her face and hair and bod, she's my age but I don't look that hot!
yeah... young people can involve with older people... but think about a 13 old kid who has a child... he was still a kid and he had to raise two little girls. If we were in a country with a life expectance of 40 years that would be an everyday thing... but it is supossed that now kids have plenty of time to mature and become integral persons... Maybe some will say "but there are grown people who are inmature" yes, that's true, but what i'm saying is that here we have the chance of living plenty lives and we are able to decide what to do in each stage.

and he is a boy.. so he didn't suffer the consequences of a early pregnancy... if he were a girl maybe she couldn't have the baby for health reasons.

I think that we live in a contradiction... this society doesn't let the kids be kids and it forces them to grow quickly but it punishes them if they do something wrong because of that. Just look all that crappy teen magazines... they encourage girls to look and act sexy and provocative but the grown people who writes them are the same who discriminate the girls who get pregnant or have an early sex live.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:32 AM   #10
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:10 PM
How a middle aged woman can become sexually attracted to a 12 year old, is beyond me. He might be mature for his age (or was back then) but Jesus. Something is wrong there.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:57 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
How a middle aged woman can become sexually attracted to a 12 year old, is beyond me. He might be mature for his age (or was back then) but Jesus. Something is wrong there.
Yes indeed. They both seem mentally unstable to me, so I guess that's why their relationship works- I don't know. I understand two people of widely differing ages being attracted to each other, but not this case. Not a 12 year old, and not a teacher who is in a position of authority.

I saw them last week on some show, and they were sitting in front of a pile of gifts that strangers had sent them through their online registry. I guess some people just have money to burn
Old 05-04-2005, 05:10 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 03:10 AM
That young man did well for himself. May Kay = hot.

That's the long and short of it for me.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:42 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:10 AM
I've heard bits and pieces of this story. It's sick, a teacher becoming involved with a twelve-year old student.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:56 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I saw them last week on some show, and they were sitting in front of a pile of gifts that strangers had sent them through their online registry. I guess some people just have money to burn

"excuse me, do you have any cards that tastefully express the sentiment 'glad your relationship is now legal'?"

BVS is right, if the genders were reversed in this case, the man would still be in jail. i find it interesting that we're more inclined to call a woman offender "mentally unstable", as opposed to a man who would just be a sick pervert. equally interesting is how if this had been a girl and a man, the girl would be dressed up as an innocent victim, where as vili was just a horny teenage boy looking to score with his hot teacher.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
It was the peach fuzz mustache.