Marriage Equality Defended in Massachusetts - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Thus, you cannot cite the Bible as a source of information on modern homosexuality. It can't work. It doesn't work.

I was asked to defend my position on homosexuality and explain where my beliefs came from. I did that.

maycocksean, here is my response to that story. Yes, it is sad and upsetting that such thing occured. However, sorry, that doesnt change my stance.

Also, I'm not "afraid" of anything like you propose I am. Maybe you could elaborate on your statement.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:11 PM
I don't think people embrace anti-sexualism like that (and I think if you take a blowjob to being sin counts on that score) unless they fear the concequences.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #123
War Child

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
maycocksean, here is my response to that story. Yes, it is sad and upsetting that such thing occured. However, sorry, that doesnt change my stance.
An essentialist, after all, has no need for a heart.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

no one likes affairs
Tell that to the people that have them
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 AM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I was asked to defend my position on homosexuality and explain where my beliefs came from. I did that.

Also, I'm not "afraid" of anything like you propose I am. Maybe you could elaborate on your statement.
Now I am asking you to find something that proves they could see the future in which homosexuality became what it is today. (ETA: Because, based on citing those texts in the Bible, which referred to a completely different kind of homosexuality, you would have to prove that the writers of the Bible could SEE INTO THE FUTURE. And you wonder why we have such a hard time understanding your point of view.)

How easily you brushed that aside! Care to elaborate on why that doesn't bother you?

You're afraid to even allow the idea that you could be wrong. As in, when someone makes an argument, your first thought isn't to think about what they've said, but rather find something to defend against it, which is no way to educate yourself or grow intellectually. It's subconsciously living in fear by consciously holding tightly to ignorant opinions.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Now I am asking you to find something that proves they could see the future in which homosexuality became what it is today. (ETA: Because, based on citing those texts in the Bible, which referred to a completely different kind of homosexuality, you would have to prove that the writers of the Bible could SEE INTO THE FUTURE. And you wonder why we have such a hard time understanding your point of view.)

How easily you brushed that aside! Care to elaborate on why that doesn't bother you?

You're afraid to even allow the idea that you could be wrong. As in, when someone makes an argument, your first thought isn't to think about what they've said, but rather find something to defend against it, which is no way to educate yourself or grow intellectually. It's subconsciously living in fear by consciously holding tightly to ignorant opinions.
WHAT?! Homosexuality is homosexuality. Men lusting after other men 2000 years ago is not that different from men lusting after men today. It's the reason Sodom was destroyed. Check it out. A "different kind of homosexuality?" Sorry, I know you would love to have it this way to validate your argument, but there are not too many different definitions of homosexuality.

I said the story was sad. What else do you want? My position remains the same.

How do you know exactly what I am thinking when I read your posts? You dont, and so what you say is incorrect. Also, I havent read any of those holding your opinion acknowledge that they too might be wrong.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

WHAT?! Homosexuality is homosexuality. Men lusting after other men 2000 years ago is not that different from men lusting after men today. It's the reason Sodom was destroyed. Check it out. A "different kind of homosexuality?" Sorry, I know you would love to have it this way to validate your argument, but there are not too many different definitions of homosexuality.

How do you know exactly what I am thinking when I read your posts? You dont, and so what you say is incorrect. Also, I havent read any of those holding your opinion acknowledge that they too might be wrong.
I'm amazed. Have you read the posts by Ormus in the previous thread? Go back to them and you'll see what I'm referring to. It's not a matter of me loving it for my argument, it's a fact that those who refer to the Bible for discrimination love to skip over. It's called context.

And the fact that you knocked homosexuality back to "men lusting after men" is something in and of itself that is worthy of debate.

To the last part of your post I ask, do you agree that homosexuality is not a choice or a preference or a way of life, but something a person is born into just like race?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

No, I dont buy into the idea that people are born gay. I believe they choose to be.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No, I dont buy into the idea that people are born gay. I believe they choose to be.
Well, that's why we are certain we are not wrong. Because it's a fact that people are born gay. A fact. Science has proved it. It's not an "idea."

Thus, we can make our statements with complete confidence that you seem to take issue with.

I could name thousands of scientific facts. If you are debating an issue, and a person in the debate chooses to ignore facts, it's hard to debate reasonably with said person.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I've been plenty wrong in the past on plenty of things - but accepting or rejecting things based on the evidence and reappraising them as more evidence is gathered (I mean look at how easy it was to rebuild Iraq with all the oil money flowing into the country) is a good thing. With homosexuality I put it in the context of sexual liberties and while the argument of homosexuality being biologically based is perfectly reasonable (and useful if one wants to say that their intelligent designer made them that way) I don't think it would matter if it was choice or not as it is consensual activity that doens't harm other people. While your moral disgust at it is fine I think trying to legislate against it is very wrong indeed.

Don't like homosexuality then please don't commit that sin; but don't use force to stop others from doing it.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
So what? How does their choosing to be gay harm you? How does it justify using the tools of state to discriminate against them.

Would you like it if the government discriminated against you because you choose to be Christian?

I think that the evidence of sexuality being hard wired is pretty strong (I just don't get the same physiological response from seeing a naked woman when theres some blokes tackle ruining it - much as i'd imagine the gays don't have as great an appreciation of the female form); but it doens't make a difference when it comes to government.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #132
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Don't like homosexuality then please don't commit that sin; but don't use force to stop others from doing it.
Exactly. It's one thing to disagree with homosexuality, as ignorant as it may be. It's another thing to attempt to change law based on it.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Well, that's why we are certain we are not wrong. Because it's a fact that people are born gay. A fact. Science has proved it. It's not an "idea."
Show me.

Some scientists who say that also acknowledge that environmental factors play a role and that it is impossible to predict who will be gay.

Sorry. I'll trust science with many things, but hearing that people are born gay just doesnt make sense.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Quote:
You've never met a gay person have you?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

No, just straight people that are confused.