Marriage Equality Defended in Massachusetts - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

No, I do not believe you. I have read reports on the internet of scientists stating otherwise- that environment plays a role and that you cannot predict who will be gay. Those are some of the problems with your theory and insistance that being born gay is a fact. It might be, but it might not be. You all seem too eager to accept anything that science says.

I still fail to see how you think I am lying to myself.
Just because scientists are not certain what combinations of genes cause homosexuality does not mean that they are unsure whether homosexuality is something a person is born with. It is. Your only defense really is the passages written in the Bible, and they are passages you have misinterpreted. There IS a difference between homosexuality of Biblical times, and that of modern day.

If the Bible stated some other fact was wrong, would you believe it? If it denied that there is a continent of Africa, would you take its word for it?

Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Smallville
I admit to being extremely homophobic when I was younger, it was purely from not knowing and having everyone telling me it was wrong, growing up and actually knowing gay people has changed those views. I just wish more would grow up.

this is truly what it comes down to.

and this is where gay people bear some responsibility. gay people *must* be out and talk about their lives in the way that a straight person talks about thier life. if a straight person wants to tell you about his girlfriend, then feel free to talk about your boyfriend.

Memphis went to an "out and equal" conference where the brilliant B.D. Wong was the keynote speaker. and, addressing a largely gay audience, he simply said, "if you want to live in a world where you can put a picture of your partner on your desk, then put a picture of your partner on your desk."

Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is truly what it comes down to.

and this is where gay people bear some responsibility. gay people *must* be out and talk about their lives in the way that a straight person talks about thier life. if a straight person wants to tell you about his girlfriend, then feel free to talk about your boyfriend.

Memphis went to an "out and equal" conference where the brilliant B.D. Wong was the keynote speaker. and, addressing a largely gay audience, he simply said, "if you want to live in a world where you can put a picture of your partner on your desk, then put a picture of your partner on your desk."
this is true...but at the same time, isn't it also the responsibility for non-gay people (especially those who are so intolerant) to also play a role in creating a social climate where everyone can feel welcome to be themselves? people will continue to be discriminated against unless there is a collective change of heart. while that can be initiated by someone putting a picture of their partner on their desk, at the same time, many bigoted people are governed by this dualistic mindset, and the real change has to happen from within.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #184
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

this is true...but at the same time, isn't it also the responsibility for non-gay people (especially those who are so intolerant) to also play a role in creating a social climate where everyone can feel welcome to be themselves? people will continue to be discriminated against unless there is a collective change of heart. while that can be initiated by someone putting a picture of their partner on their desk, at the same time, many bigoted people are governed by this dualistic mindset, and the real change has to happen from within.

yes, gay people need straight allies, just like black people needed white allies, and women needed male allies. i suppose what i'm talking about is the very simple, very day-to-day stuff that gay people can do something about.

quick anecdote: one of Memphis's friends has a picture of the two of us (in Switzerland) on her desk (as another aside, it took a little bit of courage, but whenever we've been on vacation, we unapologetically ask people to take a picture of the two of us, though we tend to ask women more then men -- and think about it, is that something a straight couple ever has to worry about).

anyway, a picture of us on her desk. a coworker looks at it and says, "um, are they, you know ..." and she goes, "gay? yes." and the woman said, "really? what are they like?" and she replies, "um, like people?" and the woman grew more fascinated. she wanted to know if we'd been over to her house, and if we were "gay" when we came over.

so many people are simply ignorant of the reality of most gay people. is there crazysexytime going on in the lives of many gay men? sure. are gay men a little more promiscuous, or at least likely to have sex earlier in a relationship, than your average straight couple? sure. but that's due to being men as opposed to being gay.

ultimately, the reality of gay life -- particularly after one grows up, just like straight people grow up -- is less this ...

and much more this ...

Old 06-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

so many people are simply ignorant of the reality of most gay people. is there crazysexytime going on in the lives of many gay men? sure. are gay men a little more promiscuous, or at least likely to have sex earlier in a relationship, than your average straight couple? sure. but that's due to being men as opposed to being gay.

ultimately, the reality of gay life -- particularly after one grows up, just like straight people grow up -- is less this ...

and much more this ...

do you think that this is something that the media has exploited and embellished to be much larger than it really is? my homosexual college students were just as sexually active as my heterosexual college students. i almost feel like they were just looking for any sort of material so they can show how "sinful" the lifestyle is, and then they blew it up, creating this stereotype.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #186
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

as another aside, it took a little bit of courage, but whenever we've been on vacation, we unapologetically ask people to take a picture of the two of us, though we tend to ask women more then men -- and think about it, is that something a straight couple ever has to worry about
That's actually such a poignant thing that says so much if others stop to really think about it. It's a "little" thing that isn't little at all. Me, I don't ask people to take my picture because I just hate having my picture taken. But other than that it's not something that I would ever have to feel uncomfortable about.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #187
She's the One

Local Time: 11:30 AM
Quote:
she wanted to know if we'd been over to her house, and if we were "gay" when we came over.
And these people vote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #188
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
do you think that this is something that the media has exploited and embellished to be much larger than it really is? my homosexual college students were just as sexually active as my heterosexual college students. i almost feel like they were just looking for any sort of material so they can show how "sinful" the lifestyle is, and then they blew it up, creating this stereotype.

i think by the time a gay man hits 40, and by the time a straight man hits 40, chances are the gay man will have more sexual partners.

he'll also probably be unmarrired. which is a lot to do with things.

i would check back with your students in 10 years and see how things are. i think that most of the difference is due to gender, and i also think that the younger you go, the less acceptable rampant promescuity is among gay people. younger gay men worry about being a "slut" in a way that older gay men never would have, at least in my experience.

much of this is to do with gender, but also with societal expectations. as society starts to expect more out of gay relationships, gay people will rise to meet such expectations.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #189
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

And these people vote

and that's where the ignorance is.

gay isn't something you do.

it's something you are.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

I assume what she meant by that was do they makeout or something, I dunno. Maybe she has the stereotype that all gay men are having sex and making out all the time. Obviously you're gay all the time. She should have said yes, they are gay only when I come over-other than that they are straight Being gay=having sex according to that question I guess.

I give people leeway for things they haven't experienced and don't understand as long as they're not hateful and hurtful about it- yes stereotypes can be at play but sometimes even those aren't always rooted in hatred. And yes she is saying that being gay is doing and not who you are by that statement, I understand that. Maybe with a little more knowledge and experience she would think differently.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #191
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

And these people vote
Don't you wish there was an ignorance test, kinda like an IQ test? And if you had a high enough ignorance score you couldn't vote...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yikes, a lot to respond to.

Quote:

1. why do you choose to believe that gay people choose to be gay?
2. why are you willing to deny things like hospital visitation rights or sharing of medical benefits to gay domestic partners?
3. what is at threat if gay people were allowed to marry? how would this negatively impact you?
Fair questions.

1) Because, as was stated, we cannot predict who will be gay. I'm obviously not an expert on the homosexual experience, but I'm under the impression that people a) for whatever reason are attracted to the same sex or b) switch orientation due to bad experiences or relationships with the opposite sex. If I, right now, decided to be gay after 19 years of attraction and relationships with females, does that mean I was born gay or destined to be a homosexual? I'm not so sure.
2) I dont want to deny those things. The family in the story should have been able to visit the woman.
3) A gay couple getting married is not a direct threat to me. However, I dont follow the "do whatever you want as long as it doesnt effect me" mentality. I, because of my upbringing, believe that certain traditions need to be upheld and unchanged. Marriage being a man and a woman is one of my personal beliefs and values, just as "marriage is people who love each other" may be one of yours.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Do you know what year the word homosexuality was first used? Where does the word 'homosexuality' get used in the Bible? And what was original translation?

The truth is, you have no clue about any of these things, do you?

No, sir, I never present myself as a historian. Do you know the answers to some of your questions? If so, please enlighten me. However, I can recognize homosexuality and the condemnation of it in the Bible when I read it.

Quote:
You basically come off as a 19 year old that just repeats the rhetoric and hate that you were taught by your parents, Rush, or your minister; for your own knowledge of these subjects is horrible.

Again, not true. I have a firm grasp of many subjects, and others not so much. But like I said, I know what I believe. I think for myself. I value very much the wisdom of my pastors and my church and my family, and I draw conclusions from that. Your assessment of my ability to think is horribly misguided.

Unico, why is man/man relations as described in the Bible not considered homosexual in your eyes? As far as I know, there arent any "woman lusting after women" passages because it was already mentioned and condemned using the male pronoun.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #193
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
all gay men are having sex and making out all the time.
If that were true, I may have to switch teams...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

If that were true, I may have to switch teams...
I know you are just joking

but, this supports the concept that one might - can choose
Old 06-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
1) Because, as was stated, we cannot predict who will be gay. I'm obviously not an expert on the homosexual experience, but I'm under the impression that people a) for whatever reason are attracted to the same sex or b) switch orientation due to bad experiences or relationships with the opposite sex. If I, right now, decided to be gay after 19 years of attraction and relationships with females, does that mean I was born gay or destined to be a homosexual? I'm not so sure.
2) I dont want to deny those things. The family in the story should have been able to visit the woman.
3) A gay couple getting married is not a direct threat to me. However, I dont follow the "do whatever you want as long as it doesnt effect me" mentality. I, because of my upbringing, believe that certain traditions need to be upheld and unchanged. Marriage being a man and a woman is one of my personal beliefs and values, just as "marriage is people who love each other" may be one of yours.
1) We cannot predict which children will be born with autism or mental retardation. Does that mean they choose to be that way?

Also, you cannot choose to be gay. You, as a heterosexual, are attracted to women in a way you cannot be to men. If you claimed to be gay, you would be lying to yourself and others.

2) OK, I agree.

3) You claim it does not affect you directly. In what way does it affect you indirectly? Would it really hurt you at all? Why is marriage being man/woman specific something you value?