Marketing the new $20 bill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
The Money Pitch
Why spend $32 million to promote the new $20 bill?
By Rob Walker
Posted Monday, October 27, 2003, at 8:06 AM PT

Plus ?a change: an ad for the new twenties

Earlier this month the U.S. Treasury Department's Bureau of Engraving and Printing brought out a new $20 bill. Curiously, the debut of this redesigned piece of currency was accompanied by a marketing campaign?at a reported cost of $32 million. That's a decent budget and includes events, print ads, some Web goodies, and even TV spots. (You can see the commercials here. You can also play games designed to teach kids about the new twenties; there's even an "interactive bill.") The ads have been in heavy rotation, and they raise an obvious question: Why bother to advertise money itself?

http://slate.msn.com/id/2090262/

Why 32 million to market money? Now I understand informing them of the change, but hell do you really think it will take 32 mill. Does anyone else not see that as a complete waste, especially during these times?

It is not ridiculous. Our economy runs smoothly when we all recognize a common currency. Imagine a small store owner rejecting your cash payment because you tried to use a new colorful $20 bill. Even a small scale rejection of the new $20 would cost the economy more that $32 million.

I haven't seen one of these marketing efforts. My knowing of this change was the local news and newspapers. I'm not questioning the reasoning, I'm questioning the pricetag. I have a hard time believing people would reject the new 20's at the tune of 32million. Even the smallest of shop owners I would after seeing one maybe two, I think they would catch on, and usually in this day and age there's usually a backup mode of currency.

You can burn $32 million pretty quickly preparing a television marketing campaign.

I've noticed a number of government run ad campaigns as of late, including careful driving in construction zones.

Maybe this is an example of the high price of advertising. I'm always hearing about huge sums spent for all of the various forms of advertisements.

The thing is I asked around here in the office today and no one's seen these ads, yet they all know about the new 20. It just seems like a waste.

ive seen it waaay too many times, its a terrible commerical. for 32 million they could have hired a good marketing team

ive also seen the banner ads, and a while ago a lot of sporting events and things were "brought to you by the color of money"

i was glad that the color of maoney could bring me such good entertainment

Back
Top Bottom