March 20, 2004 The World Still Says No To War - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:18 PM
March 20, 2004 The World Still Says No To War

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/

Momentum is building around the world for the Global Day of Action against War and Occupation on March 20, the one-year anniversary of the U.S. bombing and invasion of Iraq.

On that day, people on every continent will take to the streets to say YES to peace and NO to pre-emptive war and occupation. Joining with growing numbers of military families and soldiers, we will call for an end to the occupation of Iraq and Bush’s militaristic foreign policies, and highlight the linkages between the occupations of Iraq and Palestine. March 20 will be the first time the world's "other superpower," as The New York Times described us, will take center stage since February 15, when more than 15 million people across the globe expressed their opposition to Bush's looming war on Iraq.

The March 20 Global Day of Action has been endorsed by the Global Assembly of the Anti-War Movement, the World Social Forum, and the 3rd Hemispheric Forum Against the FTAA. A vast and diverse array of organizations worldwide are hard at work mobilizing for the day.

In the United States, there will be a massive protest in New York City plus dozens of local and regional demonstrations across the country, including a major protest in Fayetteville, NC, the home of Fort Bragg.

Politically, the U.S. protests will also take on the domestic impact of Bush's foreign policies—what some people call "the war at home." We will express the growing opposition to the USA PATRIOT Act, which has authorized political arrests, indefinite detentions, domestic spying, and religious and racial profiling. We will call for an end to the mass detentions and deportations of innocent immigrants in the name of fighting terrorism. We will say no to massive military spending amidst vast cuts in vital domestic social and economic programs.

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/img/or...te_English.jpg

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/img/or...te_Spanish.jpg

Old 03-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Hi ponkine,

You will want to post this type of information in the Free Your Mind forum - EYKIW is for U2 discussion only.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2004, 06:08 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Yes somebody send it over to FYM, also adress the real problem of the occupation, remnants and terrorists (If they attack innocent civilians on purpose they are terrorists not freedom fighters or heroic resistance to US colonialism etc.) rather than just simplify it to US is in Iraq, Iraq is unstable. If I remove a strong millitary presence from the country every ethnic group will happily engage in a productive and open democratic process to choose a government.

You may not have agreed with the war or how it was fought (I loathed the rapid inevitability of it, we should have constructed a proper casus belli on humanitarian grounds) but we should all agree that to leave such a situation unfinished would be to condemn millions to their deaths (There are much worse things than thousands killed in a war that can *if done properly* save and improve the lives of millions in the long term, just look at the deaths caused by innefective sanctions or those executed and tortured by a barbaric regime and add another 20 years or so of victims, then come back and tell me how you can let a people and country bleed slowly just to uphold the status quo of "peace").
Old 03-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 02:18 AM
Please lets not try and pretend that this war was about the liberation of the Iraqi people......Black Gold was the purpose of the whole campaign.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #5
Refugee

People like this really fuck me off! A march against the war? do me a favour!
Where were the marches AGAINST Bin Laden?
Where were the marches AGAINST Al Queida?
Where were the marches AGAINST Saddam's regime?

Yes there has been innocent loss of life during the 2nd gulf war, but not as many as the innocent loss of life under the regimes in Afgahistan and Iraq in the past! And don't give me that bullshit about how to make sanctions work ect, that was tried for years and didn't work! Its a sad fact of life that some of these regimes don't recognise anything else but force to remove them...love to see how a pissing march would of removed Saddam!

Since 9/11 even Bono has admitted he is no longer a atheist, he could not turn the other cheek if someone harmed his family too bloody right!

So all you liberals and bleeding hearts, why don't you march AGAINST the REAL terrorists instead of your own side for a change???
Old 03-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by what a bomb!

Yes there has been innocent loss of life during the 2nd gulf war, but not as many as the innocent loss of life under the regimes in Afgahistan and Iraq in the past! And don't give me that bullshit about how to make sanctions work ect, that was tried for years and didn't work! Its a sad fact of life that some of these regimes don't recognise anything else but force to remove them...love to see how a pissing march would of removed Saddam!

Since 9/11 even Bono has admitted he is no longer a atheist, he could not turn the other cheek if someone harmed his family too bloody right!

So all you liberals and bleeding hearts, why don't you march AGAINST the REAL terrorists instead of your own side for a change???
Well said!

ps-What are they protesting? The war is over, isn't it? Should the US just go home now?
Old 03-20-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jinn77
Please lets not try and pretend that this war was about the liberation of the Iraqi people......Black Gold was the purpose of the whole campaign.
Expand on this if you will.....
Old 03-20-2004, 10:41 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:

First of all what do Bin Laden or Al Queida have to do with the war in Iraq? Nothing. I'm tired of people trying to lump them all up. This war had nothing to do with terrorists.

Secondly Bono was never an athiest I think the word you're looking for is pacifist, and he made clear that he didn't support this war, so don't bring him into this.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:45 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
First of all what do Bin Laden or Al Queida have to do with the war in Iraq? Nothing. I'm tired of people trying to lump them all up. This war had nothing to do with terrorists.
Still, the question is valid. Where are the protests against these groups?
Old 03-20-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I think the missiles fired, the people dead and those locked up without being charged speak loud enough...

What would a protest in the US against these groups do? So now we're back to if you protest the war you support these groups?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think the missiles fired, the people dead and those locked up without being charged speak loud enough

What would a protest in the US against these groups do? So now we're back to if you protest the war you support these groups?
The implication of support is not there. People "around the world" apparently have enough of a problem with the US action in Iraq to protest openly. The question is "why the silence"?
Old 03-21-2004, 02:00 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Secondly Bono was never an athiest I think the word you're looking for is pacifist, and he made clear that he didn't support this war, so don't bring him into this.
Saddam killed 1.7 million people, far more than Bin Ladin. Wouldn't you say that qualifies Saddam as a "terrorist"?
Old 03-21-2004, 04:28 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
When did he ever say he was an athiest? And where did he say 9/11 stopped him from being an athiest? (I'm not disputing your claims, just wondering what your source is.)

Quote:
I don't consider myself to be on the same side as murderers like Bush and Blair. Nor am I on the side of tyrants like Saddam or terrorists like al-Qaeda. Right-wingers like to paint the world as being black and white, divided in two, 'you're with us or against us,' but some of us choose a third option: rejecting violence perpetrated both by terrorists and by nation states and embracing instead the ideas of human rights, peace and dignity for all people.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:24 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I don't consider myself to be on the same side as murderers like Bush and Blair. Nor am I on the side of tyrants like Saddam or terrorists like al-Qaeda. Right-wingers like to paint the world as being black and white, divided in two, 'you're with us or against us,' but some of us choose a third option: rejecting violence perpetrated both by terrorists and by nation states and embracing instead the ideas of human rights, peace and dignity for all people.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:46 AM   #15
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If this is good enough as a counter argument, then it is valid to ask why the war only hapopened a year ago. Why not over 20, when he (Saddam) began his reign.

Lets not get all pious (if this is the point of asking rhetoric questions like this) when the silence has been all around for a long long time and is not restricted to protestors of the war.