Mandela's Son Dies Of AIDS - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Mandela's Son Dies Of AIDS

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa...eut/index.html

"Let us give publicity to HIV/AIDS and not hide it, because the only way to make it appear like a normal illness like TB, like cancer, is always to come out and to say somebody has died because of HIV/AIDS. And people will stop regarding it as something extraordinary," said a frail-looking Mandela, surrounded by his grandchildren and other family members.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Normal Nelson Mandela's Son Dies of AIDS

Breaking Taboo, Mandela Says Son Died of AIDS

Quote:
By John Chiahemen
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa's Nelson Mandela, one of Africa's most committed campaigners in the battle against AIDS, announced that his only surviving son had succumbed to the disease on Thursday.

Makgatho Mandela, 54, died in a Johannesburg clinic where he had been receiving treatment for more than a month. His wife Zondi died in 2003 from pneumonia.

"I announce that my son has died of AIDS," the 86-year-old Nobel Peace laureate told a news conference, urging a redoubled fight against the disease.

"Let us give publicity to HIV/AIDS and not hide it, because the only way to make it appear like a normal illness like TB, like cancer, is always to come out and to say somebody has died because of HIV/AIDS. And people will stop regarding it as something extraordinary," said a frail-looking Mandela, surrounded by his grandchildren and other family members.

Mandela's announcement of his personal AIDS tragedy challenged the widespread taboo which keeps many Africans from discussing an epidemic which now infects more than 25 million people across the continent.

In South Africa, which with some five million HIV/AIDS infections has the highest AIDS caseload in the world, the disease kills more than 600 people each day, activists say.

Despite the mounting death toll, few public figures in South Africa or other African countries have personally come forward to say that AIDS has effected them or their families.

rest of story on the AP
One of the few world leaders left that I truly admire. May he and his family find comfort.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

oops, we both posted this at the same time
Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:53 AM

this is so sad, but hopefully this will attract some attention to the cause at the very least.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

it is very, very important to demystify the disease.

speaking only for myself, but i would imagine those who are close to my age might well remember Pedro Zamora from Real World Season 3 in San Francisco (this was back when it was a genuine social experiment, not about drinking and hooking up). it was tremendously encouraging to see not only an out gay man on TV, but one who was smart, funny, charming, and dated another man (who happened to be African American) all while living with HIV. he then died, but i think his influence on normalizing both homosexuality and HIV/AIDS in this country, especially among those who were teenagers in the early 90s, is tremendous.

let's hope Mandela's son can have a similar affect on South Africa, and all of Africa. ignorance kills.

(also don't mean to imply that Mandela's son was gay ... no idea if he is and it isn't important, and outside Europe/North American, AIDS is primarily a heterosexual disease)
Old 01-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Old 01-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

This is heartbreaking. I have friends who live in South Africa, I can't imagine how they must feel right now.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 05:53 AM
How is it that a lot of people don't think that the AIDS virus is an emergency? I mean, I don't understand how people can think that.
Quote:
In South Africa, which with some five million HIV/AIDS infections has the highest AIDS caseload in the world, the disease kills more than 600 people each day, activists say.
5 million with the disease in South Africa, and 600 people are dying everyday from this disease, AIDS is definately an emergency! One can only hope that people will wake up and realize that we can do something to help the ones who are suffering from this disease, and try to find a cure. My thoughts and prayers are with the Nelson Mandela and his family.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

This makes me very sad indeed, and it also hits close to home for me. It was 12 years ago yesterday January 5, 1993 that my cousin died of this horrible disease.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:37 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 07:53 AM
I was watching the 46664 concert last night and - so Mandela and also AIDS are very much on my mind today. This is very sad news, and very cool that Mandela is educating as he grieves.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer
This makes me very sad indeed, and it also hits close to home for me. It was 12 years ago yesterday January 5, 1993 that my cousin died of this horrible disease.

i'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sorry too tiny dancer