Mandatory Insurance? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #16
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 02:13 PM
Originally posted by anitram
I'm not saying we should be running to the ER any time we have a sinus infection, but if you catch something like bacterial bronchitis, you need to get that antibiotic and make sure it doesn't turn into pneumonia. If you have a twisted ankle, you need to check that it's not broken, etc.

...These are sorts of things I can see going on ignored by people and then leading to disaster.
Exactly. I'm all for alternative treatments and integrative medicine; I wish more insurance companies would cover them, and that better licensing and regulation of naturopaths, acupuncturists etc. existed. We chose our family physician partly because he's very supportive and knowledgeable about that kind of thing, and always takes a last-resort approach to potent medicines, invasive procedures, etc. But some conditions just can't be dealt with that way unfortunately, and plenty of potentially serious illnesses do start out with such minor discomforts that it's easy to ignore them--which, as you say, can lead to disaster and the need for far more intensive treatments than might have been required otherwise. It's a shame that the inability to comfortably afford insurance keeps so many people from finding a doctor whose approach they like and not hesitating to see him or her if something just doesn't seem right.

yolland [at]

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #17
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
Local Time: 06:13 AM

Old 04-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #18
love, blood, life
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Romney is pushing for it......

The Legislature is for it....

And from what I have read, the plan seems to be very fair.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 08:13 AM
Originally posted by verte76
It's really hard for me to see how anyone would choose to be uninsured.

It's quite expensive if your company doesn't offer it, and if it's just you it can be difficult to part with so much cash every month for something you know you won't be needing all the time, especially since it seems as if every other necessity seems to be going up.

God forbid something comes up, I know, but I guess I still have that, "Hey, I'm only 27, I'm good for awhile yet" mentality. Not good, but what else can you do?