MANDATORY health insurance, part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory, I agree with this. Practically, I'm not so sure. Look, I grew up with out health insurance. We just didn't go to the doctor. I never had annual checkups, never went to the dentist even once as a child. We relied on God to care for us, and He did. My mom who is 63 years old, self-employed, and currently has a lump in her breast is uninsured. I think she should get it looked at, she doesn't want to because she can't afford it. I actually went online to find out what it would cost her to get a mammogram (thinking maybe my wife and I could pick up the tab)--$500. A biopsy will run between $1000 and $5000. She doesn't have that kind of money just lying around and neither do I. She says she's had "scares" before and it always turned out to be nothing, and she doesn't have the money any way, so it sounds like she's just going to ignore it and hope it goes away. I'll tell you, INDY, it sucks.

sorry, everybody. This is just all very real and personal to me right now. It's not just talking heads on TV anymore.

I'm sorry about your mom, Sean. That's really tough.

Thanks. I'm not sure who to be more worried about right now, my mom or my sister. My sister is "poor enough" to get Medicaid (my mom makes too much to qualify)--she's been out of work for awhile and her husband's hours have been cut repeatedly so they're really scraping by. So at least she doesn't have to worry about paying for her treatment. But she's also in the hospital right now and my mom's not. So I don't know. This all started coming down in the past few days.

Ironically, I've been on here a lot trying not to think about it. . .and here I am thinking about it.

I was referring to the ER docs, not to those volunteering at free clinics. I don't think there's an ER doctor in the country that would suggest that they only save the lives of those who can pay. Because after all, medicine is a "good" not a right.

And where will the ER docs practice their skill & compassion when the hospitals are forced to close the emergency room due to a financial drain that threatens the entire hospital?

Look at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. There is your anser... But they don't want that . Oh no. It works to good.

Well, Obama sure seems to be fan. I just checked their website and they had clips of him praising them.

But I'm confused since he is clearly the bad guy here and they are the good guys.

Could you explain more about how their system works and maybe elaborate on why Obama likes it so much? (Or is he just lying, and in truth he hates them?)

We do it gladly.

Really? You haven't sounded very glad. Resentful maybe, but glad. . .not so much.

what Sean's mother's issue proves -- perfectly -- is that contemporary medicine is vastly more expensive than it was in the 1940s. the idea that the magical free market -- which has done such wonders for our economy in recent days -- would somehow bring down the costs of a biopsy stretches credulity.

shocking, i know, but the average person doesn't necessarily have the out-of-pocket cash to cover somewhat unusual but hardly unheard of situations as Sean described.

when you need something, you'll pay anything for it.

Cleveland Clinic is the model of how to do this. Everyone gets treated, and it is one of the best hospitals in the World.

Little Marcel, who's Grandmother got her feet cut off when she had cancer, but no where to be treated.. other than the Cleveland Clinic . Where she was treated for free? Remember her? and little M sitting their when Obama signed this bill ?.

Look at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. There is your anser... But they don't want that . Oh no. It works to good.

So what is the Cleveland Clinic model? I hate to ask for a link, for we all know you don't know how to do that, but just tell us how do they provide free care and keep their doors open?
And where will the ER docs practice their skill & compassion when the hospitals are forced to close the emergency room due to a financial drain that threatens the entire hospital?

Is this not happening now in the free market? Please answer honestly.

for growing government and spending other people's money.

no one did this more than Bush, problem was he decreased revenue as well.

if government grows to address a real, quantifiable, measured need -- like 40m uninsured -- why is that automatically a bad thing? why do you hate other people?

If I knew where to find the oh noes thing, it would be here.

ICONATOR_0e023ecbb3dd79b026ef419abfe50af2.gif

no one did this more than Bush, problem was he decreased revenue as well.

if government grows to address a real, quantifiable, measured need -- like 40m uninsured -- why is that automatically a bad thing? why do you hate other people?

"]no one did this more than Bush, problem was he decreased revenue as well."

I think Bush has long been passed considering his 8 years and someone else's 18 months... and the world is telling him loud and clear to STOP !

When progressives from Europe are telling this Administration to stop, that says a lot. The world is telling him loud and clear to stop. Now.

"] no one did this more than Bush, problem was he decreased revenue as well."
Why do you quote, and then quote again?

When progressives from Europe are telling this Administration to stop, that says a lot. The world is telling him loud and clear to stop. Now.

Is this from the same source where Emanuel made his announcement?

What site was that again?

This is to Sean.

There are places in every city where she can get a free mamogram, and needle biopsy as long as she is over 50 . if she needs treated for something, she can get that too.

She needs to get it checked, regardless, but lumps are sometimes fatty tissue.

She stlll needs to get it checked. You can call the local United Way, or a county health department. They can direct you to the clinics.

a very good resource also, is Livestrong.org. They have telephone numbers on the site, staffed 24 hours a day, who can direct her to a place near her she can get this done for free.

Follow through with this. They will be glad to help.

If you need help PM me.

Since I don't see the United States as an inherently racist, homophobic, selfish, greedy, stupid nation I'm afraid I'll always miss the "context" of your posts Martha.

But try to forgive me.
There's a difference between not seeing the US that way and being totally blind to the situations where it is.

You're just playing the rhetorical card of "my opponents blame America first".

Why do you quote, and then quote again?

Is this from the same source where Emanuel made his announcement?

What site was that again?

There is this wild party going on in Toronto . it's called the g20 ECONOMIC summit. They are telling him to stop.

The markets are telling him to stop . The world is telling him to stop

Let your fingers do the walking, and you can read 1,000's of different ways he is being told to stop.

Even front page NYT. God, if they are saying t too...

Financial reform bill, they are telling him NO, because of he bank taxes.

Open your eyes, and type a magical journey.

You havent found the Rahm statement yet? Should take you 6 seconds.

"when your 6-year old gets cancer "

Every state, has Federal Money to insure every kid. If the kid doesn't have it, it's because the parent hasn't gone to get them signed up.

Is this what you're talking about?

Obama signs children's health initiative into law - CNN.com

Because your precious GOP opposed it and that Kenyan proposed it.

Oh, I don't think anyone here ever called into question "that Kenyan's" enthusiasm for growing government and spending other people's money.

You totally missed the context of my post, probably on purpose. :rolleyes:

Since I don't see the United States as an inherently racist, homophobic, selfish, greedy, stupid nation I'm afraid I'll always miss the "context" of your posts Martha.

But try to forgive me.

There ya go.

There is this wild party going on in Toronto . it's called the g20 ECONOMIC summit. They are telling him to stop. .
Ohhhhh, so those violent protestors are against health care?

I'm glad you made this so clear.

You havent found the Rahm statement yet? Should take you 6 seconds.

You need a new computer.

You're not even bothering trying to be taken seriously are you?

I think you might be a pathological liar...:huh:

The problem is that people will keep showing up at the ER with same ability to pay (or lack thereof) regardless of whether there is health reform or not.

What do you see as the solution to that? (I mean I know you said earlier that people who can't afford to pay shouldn't expect treatment, but I'm assuming you don't really mean that the bleeder shouldn't have come into the ER if they couldn't pony up the cash).

One line in Angela's post, and the idea behind this, which I hear often is what really gets me.

"When an insurance company refuses to cover a BABY because it's "too overweight" or whatever BS reason that one company gave, a baby who has absolutely no control over its eating habits,..... "

If a baby is too Overweight, and it's a baby, which means I would imagine that it is not getting up at 4:00 am to make Hostess cupcakes and eating them by the 100's right.

The PARENTS have the responsbility for the baby's eating habits !
Is the Government going to do that for the mother and father too? No personal responsibility involved?????

And what if that's not the reason for the baby's weight problem? What if it's some sort of genetic thing, or some out of whack hormonal imbalance that nobody can control, or whatever?

Even if if was because of the parents' feeding habits...so, the kid should be denied care because their parents made some stupid choices? That's fair. It's a BABY, for god's sake.

I'd love to say more, but honestly, your guys' posts confuse the hell out of me. And I'm still waiting to hear why everyone's yelling at Obama when this healthcare bill had a lot of REPUBLICAN suggestions (you know, when he was trying to be all nice and bipartisan and everything?).

Sean, I'm really sorry to hear about your mom and sister :hug:. I seriously hope they both can get their issues sorted out and taken care of, and that nothing serious is wrong with your mom. Your family history sounds an awful lot like my family's. And I fully understand taking this personally, after what my family's been through for the last few years, this issue's hit really close to home for me, too.

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom