MANDATORY health insurance, part 2 - Page 64 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #946
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
I'd love for black / hispanic dads to hang around, too, Indy. But as that is not going to change in the short term and requires a monumental shift in each culture, maybe we can keep a couple million kids off the scoreboard from eatin' up your scarce resources, eh?

Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA's first African-American President.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #947
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA's first African-American President.

Haha, yeah. Not funny but yeah.

I pledge allegiance to fewer abortions. But no free birth control. I feel a migraine coming on...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #948
has a

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Could it be that health insurance companies recognize that it is cheaper to provide birth control pills than to pay for child-birth costs?

This strikes me as a business decision rather than an ideologically-driven decision.

I think it's good regardless.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #949
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah I really have to question the foresight of those that would oppose this. Preventive measures always save $ and lives.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #950
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Preventive measures always save $ and lives.
***with the notable exception of "preventive" wars.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #951
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh yes, how could I forget?

I should have said "true" preventative measures.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #952
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Classic sidestep of a good point from antiram. Are you admitting a wholly conservative view of the world is only possible when one fails to acknowledge reality?
??? I was only commenting on the preposterous notion that something of value could be made "free" merely at the snap of a bureaucrat's fingers. The sidestep was from that I'm afraid.

Quote:
I'd love for black / hispanic dads to hang around, too, Indy. But as that is not going to change in the short term and requires a monumental shift in each culture, maybe we can keep a couple million kids off the scoreboard from eatin' up your scarce resources, eh?
Let it be noted that it was not the conservative poster expressing a worry about "black / Hispanic" females not getting birth control pills leading to the proliferation of "black / Hispanic" children eatin' up scarce resources.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #953
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Let it be noted that it was not the conservative poster expressing a worry about "black / Hispanic" females not getting birth control pills leading to the proliferation of "black / Hispanic" children eatin' up scarce resources.
I know, I figured we'd just get right to it
Old 07-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #954
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #955
Blue Crack Addict

AP

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration says health insurance plans must cover birth control for women with no copays.

The requirement, affecting most insurance plans, is part of a broad expansion of women's preventive coverage. Breast pumps for nursing mothers, an annual "well woman" physical, counseling on how to avoid sexually transmitted diseases and other services will also be covered at no cost to the patient.

The new benefits won't take effect for at least another year, Jan. 1, 2013, in most cases. Insurers are expected to pass the cost on to their customers through slightly higher premiums.

The rules issued Monday by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius include a provision that would allow religious institutions to opt out of offering birth control coverage.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #956
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
AP

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration says health insurance plans must cover birth control for women with no copays.

The requirement, affecting most insurance plans, is part of a broad expansion of women's preventive coverage. Breast pumps for nursing mothers, an annual "well woman" physical, counseling on how to avoid sexually transmitted diseases and other services will also be covered at no cost to the patient.
So... the government can now tell insurers and providers WHO they must cover, WHAT they must cover or provide and HOW MUCH they may charge for it.

Explain to me again how Obamacare is not a takeover of our health care system.

Quote:
Insurers are expected to pass the cost on to their customers through slightly higher premiums.
Aaaah yes, beyond the headlines, the fine print. Obama claims he secured "women's preventive coverage" -- we pay for it and have no choice.

Explain to me again how this isn't exactly like a tax with the insurance companies the proxy I.R.S. agents.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #957
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
So... the government can now tell insurers and providers WHO they must cover, WHAT they must cover or provide and HOW MUCH they may charge for it.
Regulated private markets for beginners:

Governments oversee and set the rules for market operations.

Quote:
What do you mean by 'our' health system, surely the US system currently is largely private?

Quote:
Aaaah yes, beyond the headlines, the fine print. Obama claims he secured "women's preventive coverage" -- we pay for it and have no choice.
No, the policyholders collectively pay for it, is my understanding.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #958
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You seriously view a couple regulations as a takeover? Chill out, man.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #959
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Regulated private markets for beginners:

Governments oversee and set the rules for market operations.
Oversight of markets is one thing, this is more in tune with running a public utility.

Quote:
What do you mean by 'our' health system, surely the US system currently is largely private?
For now.
Quote:
No, the policyholders collectively pay for it, is my understanding.
If you're a single male is there a way to opt out of this coverage? There used to be. A free market would provide such a policy.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #960
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Oversight of markets is one thing, this is more in tune with running a public utility.
I completely disagree, it seems to me roughly in line with regulations that are placed on many industries.

But, actually, when it comes down to it, what exactly is wrong with running a health system as a public utility? Seems to work pretty well in France. You know France, that country in Europe with a world class health system. The one that is consistently placed among the leaders for health care services worldwide.

Quote:
If you're a single male is there a way to opt out of this coverage? There used to be. A free market would provide such a policy.
Can you give me one example, just one, from the world, from history, from anywhere, of an entirely free market healthcare market that delivers optimal results?