MANDATORY health insurance, part 2 - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #886
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji2112 View Post
Yet, if someones car makes a noise , they rush to the mechanic.
They do?

I just turn the cd player up a bit louder.

And given my health insurance (aka none) -- that's pretty much my approach to health care. Crank up the music and keep going until I drop.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #887
The Fly

Local Time: 01:32 PM
The government will continue to work with the old adage: "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is." Our nation is so divided on all of this stuff its incredible. It's going to be a fever pitch leading up to 2012 my God the debates will be intense!.
Some folks think all people have a right to health insurance. Others think that if you can't afford health insurance, but you own an iPhone and have a nice car - you deserve to suffer through your disease. The truth is neither. And answer is not simple....

Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #888
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
When people are frozen by something that scares them, which is usually something not so pleasant, sometimes it saves lives.

There was a time not long ago men could be bleeding out their rear, and would ignore it for years. If they lived that long . Lance Armstrong Rode in the 96 Atlanta games with a
buddy" the size of a grapefruit, and throwing up blood until he was forced to go to the Dr in Oct. In 2 months, he wouldn't have been here any more.

Yet, if someones car makes a noise , they rush to the mechanic.

So while I explained it could easily be a fatty tissue "lump" time is of the essence. Sooner is better. Especially when symptoms have been present for some time. Lymph nodes are like super highways. Cancer cells divide quickly. People tend to put things off, especially in regards to health.

Then there is the issue of time for the provider. Free mamograms are in high demand. Usually there is a big thank you at the happy ending. What matters is getting it checked... yesterday.
Agreed with you here.

I've been on sick leave from work for the last seven weeks. My GP actually thought I had cancer because I had six of the nine symptoms of a certain type of cancer but it seems to be some infection type thing fortunately. He operates on the assumption of always assume the worst which I personally think is the correct modus operandi for a physician.

Edit: and Lance Armstrong is a very lucky boy.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #889
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Maybe understand what I was saying to someone before choosing to be rude.
Your post was incomprehensible. If Sean understands, great for him, how the rest of us are supposed to make any sense out of it is beyond me.

I've been away for a while so I am not familiar with you. But when I came back and started reading various threads, you came off as incredibly rude all over this forum. Just an observation.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #890
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Maybe understand what I was saying to someone before choosing to be rude. The person I wrote to knows exactly what I am talking about, and the help was a phone call away. They were waiting on the call by request of a benefactor. People were trying to help . So please, you are right, they have better things to do with their time.
I'm sorry, Benji. I do NOT know exactly what you are talking about. I'm quite confused actually. I went back and reread your PM as well as your post and it was not at all clear that I should call anyone right away or that there was a benefactor. Trust me, if I'd understood that that to be the case I would have followed up immediately. I would not be so callous to as to ignore someone's generosity in that way. Your PM simply stated that I should contact the Susan G. Komen foundation and that I could get help there. There were no specific details, no specific phone number or individual to talk to, no indication that any arrangements had been made or any benefactor involved. From start to finish, I'm completely baffled as to what was expected of me or what exactly I failed to do. As I have said publicly and privately I am appreciative of your interest and concern and the efforts you have made. I'm sorry if you came away feeling as if those efforts went unnoticed. However, it is really unfair to paint me as an ingrate in this forum, while ignoring my posts that clearly indicate that I HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD what you were telling me. I thought you had simply pointed me to a foundation that could help, but apparently there was more to it than that. I'm still not sure what exactly that was.

If indeed you had made specific arrangements, you needed to make that clear. I understand you are busy, but when it's this important it is vital to take the time to be clear.

Incidentally, I did talk to the Susan G. Komen chapter here in Orlando today and they were very helpful.

I really feel badly about this whole thing and I'm frustrated because I don't like the idea that I might have trampled on someone's goodwill and generosity. I guess I just didn't understand you--which happens a lot--and while that might be fine for arguments about healthcare and it's not acceptable when it's real life.

If you'd like to explain further, please PM me.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #891
Refugee

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Agreed with you here.

I've been on sick leave from work for the last seven weeks. My GP actually thought I had cancer because I had six of the nine symptoms of a certain type of cancer but it seems to be some infection type thing fortunately. He operates on the assumption of always assume the worst which I personally think is the correct modus operandi for a physician.

Edit: and Lance Armstrong is a very lucky boy.
I am so glad that you don't have cancer.

Benj hit on a very important point. In regards to breast cancer. He said the lymph glands "are a super highway." He is absolutely correct.

This is exactly why, women die from breast cancer. It starts there and without early intervention, treatment, it won't stay in the breast. It will spread through out the entire body, like wildfire. Several friends of mine have had it. Thank God they are survivors, not statistics.

One of my friends was a young woman (late twenties) at the time of her disease. She had an aggressive type and if she didn't have a double mascetomy. She would have been dead within twelve months. Leaving behind an infant child. Thankfully, she is now a grand mom.

All woman, regardless of age. Should be screened for breast lumps. ASAP! Ladies please don't be afraid. 80% are just lumps nothing more. But, isn't better that we know? The sooner breast cancer is diagnosed, treated, the better our chances are at living to be grand moms.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #892
Blue Crack Supplier

this thread has succeeded in making me uncomfortable.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #893
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
this thread has succeeded in making me uncomfortable.
Tell me about it.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #894
Refugee

Local Time: 06:32 PM
I have one question. Will the new law cover the homeless?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #895
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Associated Press, Dec. 13
Quote:
President Barack Obama's historic health care overhaul was thrown into uncertainty Monday by a federal judge's decision to declare its central provision unconstitutional. Almost certainly headed to the Supreme Court, the issue hands ammunition to Republican opponents as they try to repeal the far-reaching law in the new Congress. The ruling by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson marked the first time that portions of the new law have been struck down. The decision follows earlier rulings by Democratic appointees in favor of the law.

Hudson declared that the law's central requirement for nearly all Americans to carry insurance is unconstitutional, well beyond Congress' power under the Constitution's Commerce Clause or other provisions. He denied requests to strike down the law in its entirety or block it from being implemented while his ruling is appealed by the administration. "An individual's personal decision to purchase—or decline to purchase—health insurance from a private provider is beyond the historical reach of the Commerce Clause," said Hudson, a 2002 appointee of President George W. Bush.

Nevertheless, the White House predicted it would prevail in the Supreme Court, although it may be a year or two before the health care law gets there. The next step for the Virginia lawsuit is the 4th U. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, VA, where Democratic-appointed judges hold a majority. But in the short term, the latest court ruling hands potent ammunition to GOP opponents as they prepare to assert control in the new Congress in January with promises to repeal the law. Obama has promised to veto any repeal legislation and appears likely to be able to prevail since Democrats retain control of the Senate. Republicans also have discussed trying to starve the law of funding.

Hudson's ruling may create uncertainty around the administration's efforts to implement the landmark legislation extending health coverage to 32 million uninsured Americans. And it can only increase the public's skepticism, which has not significantly receded in the months since the law's enactment—defying Obama's prediction that it would become more popular as the public got to know it. Obama aides said implementation would not be affected, noting that the individual insurance requirement and other major portions of the legislation don't take effect until 2014.

Underscoring the potential for Hudson's ruling to become a political cudgel for the new Republican House majority, incoming House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, quickly cautioned states against "investing time and resources in Obamacare's implementation now that its central mandate has been ruled unconstitutional....Republicans have made a pledge to America to repeal this job-killing health care law, and that's what we're going to do," said Boehner. Calls to repeal the law were a staple of Tea Party campaign rallies this year.

...Hudson limited his ruling to striking down the so-called individual mandate, leaving intact other portions of the law—something supporters cast as a victory. But administration officials and outside analysts agree that important provisions of the legislation could not go forward without the requirement for everyone to be insured. That's because insurers need to have large pools of healthy people, who are cheap to insure, or it is not financially tenable for them to extend coverage to anyone with a pre-existing condition or guarantee certain policies to nearly all comers.

Hudson recognized that his would not be the last word on the subject. "The final word will undoubtedly reside with a higher court," he wrote.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #896
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 PM
You know, I've gone from fairly firm supporter of U.S. healthcare reform back to bemused spectator watching the S.S. America sink.

I think that there was and is too much lobbying influence in Washington currently to expect the legislature to successfully ever come up with something with only the interest of the citizens at heart.

Good luck, guys!

I'm sure "Jesus will provide" when your family goes bankrupt from paying for care from unexpected illness
Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #897
Refugee

Is it weird to think being forced to buy something is unconstitutional?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #898
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Is it weird to think being forced to buy something is unconstitutional?
it's funny how it didn't really start out as that until the freedom loving republicans got involved.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #899
Blue Crack Addict

I expect <> will be here ANY MINUTE NOW to complain loudly and repeatedly about those activist judges.

Any minute...
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #900
Refugee

Quote:
it's funny how it didn't really start out as that until the freedom loving republicans got involved.
What did it start out as then?