MANDATORY health insurance, part 2 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Quote:
So you don't think those people in the photo are racists? Are you serious?
Quote:
Yes.
No no, not in the photo, those people are all obviously racist. I meant the people at the teaparties today. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Quote:
then again, these people were/are irrational about the Clintons.
So we can sort of agree on something

Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
No no, not in the photo, those people are all obviously racist. I meant the people at the teaparties today. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Ok. Well many at the tea parties are racist, there is no way around that, the signs and the words coming out of their mouths speak for themselves. The fact that no one on the right is calling these people out, also speaks volumes, to me and the rest of the country.

Yes, 'communism' has often been a term used by racists, so this isn't something without context.

When you have so many that don't even know what they are protesting, you have to ask then why all the hate? Why are you talking about czars when Reagan had them? Why are you talking about bail outs when Bush started them? Why are these things all of a sudden communists and worthy of protests? After you ask yourself that, just take a look around, and take a real hard look at who are surrounding you.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Michael Steele.

Quote:
In remarks aired by the CNN program D.L. Hughley Breaks the News on March 1, 2009, Steele said he, rather than Limbaugh, is "the de facto leader of the Republican Party. Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh's whole thing is entertainment. Yes, it is incendiary. Yes, it is ugly." On March 2, 2009 Limbaugh said on his radio show that Steele is not fit to lead the Republican Party, asking of him "Why do you claim to lead the Republican Party when you seem obsessed with seeing to it President Obama succeeds?"[57] After the show Steele called Limbaugh to apologize, saying "I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh. I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership. I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren't what I was thinking. It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently. What I was trying to say was a lot of people want to make Rush the scapegoat, the bogeyman, and he's not."[58] Steele later issued another statement to say that Limbaugh "is a national conservative leader, and in no way do I want to diminish his voice. I truly apologize."[59]
Sorry Massa Limbaugh.

Some people might call Michael Steel a derogatory phrase that starts with a 'h' and ends with an 'r'. Two words eleven letters. Not saying they're right.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:44 PM
I think that quotes like that are interesting, financeguy.

Is Limbaugh a political officebearer, or an entertainer? What would be the implications if the latter figleaf were stripped from him once and for all?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I think that quotes like that are interesting, financeguy.

Is Limbaugh a political officebearer, or an entertainer? What would be the implications if the latter figleaf were stripped from him once and for all?
Exactly. He isn't even elected. As for Glen Beck, my take on that character is that he is just stealing Alex Jones's shtick (as in, the 'ordinary Joe Six Pack against the cynical forces of political manipulation and Washington elitism' shtick) and repackaging it for Fox and, ultimately, subverting it.

Now, granted, Jones is a bit 'far out' but no-one has ever accused him of being a racist.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Michael Steele.

Sorry Massa Limbaugh.

Some people might call Michael Steel a derogatory phrase that starts with a 'h' and ends with an 'r'. Two words eleven letters. Not saying they're right.
How 'bout we go just go with the less-offensive and equally accurate term, "Uncle Tom."

I was all set to admire Steele for having the guts to call Limbaugh out for what he is and then he goes and debases himself like that. . .
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

after paying $230 for an inhaler today, i really want my public fucking option.

and, yes, i am totally insured -- that's more than my premium.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #68
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

and, yes, i am totally insured -- that's more than my premium.
holy shit.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #69
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

How about extra taxes on medical device companies?

In favor?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
How about extra taxes on medical device companies?

In favor?
Well in the current structure this wouldn't change the price one bit. All they'll do is lobby with the insurance companies and change their R&D prices and everything will remain the same.

This has been tried.

Some of you don't understand, this is not a free market.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's not a free market because of third party payers.

No drug company would survive selling $230 inhalers if their only purchasers were cash customers. Proof. Prescription drugs that go over-the-counter, and are no longer covered by insurance, routinely sell for 1/4 to 1/3 of their prescription price. Why? Because they now have to compete for the dollar of a consumer looking for the best value. When you have a $10 copay you don't care how much a drug actually costs.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #72
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
It's not a free market because of third party payers.

No drug company would survive selling $230 inhalers if their only purchasers were cash customers. Proof. Prescription drugs that go over-the-counter, and are no longer covered by insurance, routinely sell for 1/4 to 1/3 of their prescription price. Why? Because they now have to compete for the dollar of a consumer looking for the best value. When you have a $10 copay you don't care how much a drug actually costs.

Exactly, this is why I find it so absolutely ridiculous that conservatives are defending this system. It's downright laughable.

I'm glad you are finally seeing this. I've only been saying this for months.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Exactly, this is why I find it so absolutely ridiculous that conservatives are defending this system. It's downright laughable.

I'm glad you are finally seeing this. I've only been saying this for months.
Finally seeing this?
Who has argued from the beginning that we need to put purchasing power back in the hands of the individual and family? That would be me.
And who has said the answer is MORE THIRD PARTY PAYMENTS in the form of the government, already the largest third party payer. That would be just about everyone else here including you.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Last night on the House floor, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) spoke to Congress about "school based health clinics" (SBHC), labeling the clinics discussed in current House health care legislation as "sex clinics."

The conservative congresswoman suggested that if health care reform passes, the nation's schools might begin offering abortions to students. Bachman's interpretation of the health care reform bill holds that the legislation is designed to bring Planned Parenthood into educational facilities. According to Bachmann,

The bill goes on to say what's going to go on -- comprehensive primary health services, physicals, treatment of minor acute medical conditions, referrals to follow-up for specialty care -- is that abortion? Does that mean that someone's 13 year-old daughter could walk into a sex clinic, have a pregnancy test done, be taken away to the local Planned Parenthood abortion clinic, have their abortion, be back and go home on the school bus that night? Mom and dad are never the wiser.

Section 2511 of the health care bill referred to by Bachmann, makes no mention of abortion and stipulates,

(i) "SBHC services will be provides in accordance with Federal, State, and local laws governing-- (I) obtaining parental or guardian consent; and (II) patient privacy and student records, including section 264 of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and section 444 of the General Education Provision Act;

The concept of "school based health care clinics" was introduced under the notion that students achieve higher academic performance when they are healthy and receive adequate medical attention. According to the National Assembly on School-Based Health Care, if implemented SBHCs would give schools access to physicians "so students avoid health-related absense and get support to succeed in the classroom."

YouTube - Rep. Bachmann Warns of Abortion Field Trips
Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #75
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Finally seeing this?
Who has argued from the beginning that we need to put purchasing power back in the hands of the individual and family?
And how would you go about doing this?