MANDATORY health insurance, part 2 - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #226
Refugee

Local Time: 05:22 AM
Obama: Bipartisan health deal may not be possible - Yahoo! News

Quote:
WASHINGTON – After a day of debate and disagreement, President Barack Obama concluded Thursday's unprecedented live talkfest on health care with the bleak assessment that accord between Democrats and Republicans may not be possible. He rejected Republican preferences for seeking a step-by-step solution or simply starting over.

Obama strongly suggested that Democrats will try to pass a sweeping overhaul without GOP support, by using controversial Senate budget rules that would disallow filibusters. And then, he said, this fall's elections would write the verdict on who was right.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Meanwhile so many Americans are still without health insurance.

There doesn't appear to be any love lost between the two candidates who faced off for the presidency in 2008.

Taking his turn to speak at this morning's historic bipartisan summit on health care reform, Sen. John McCain launched into a spirited attack on President Obama and the Democrats in Congress. He cited "unsavory" deals made by Democratic leadership in the Senate, argued that Obama had broken his promise to have previous health care negotiations live on C-Span and called on President Obama to "start over."

President Obama didn't take kindly to McCain's attack, saying bluntly to McCain "We're not campaigning anymore. The election is over."

Chuckling, McCain responded "I'm reminded of that every day."

Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #228
War Child

Actually, what you've done [...] is bring the right together with the far right. And I don't think Americans are tired of partisan politics; I think they're tired of hearing career politicians diss partisan politics to get a gig. I've tried it before. They ain't buying it. That's okay, though; that's okay, though, 'cause partisan politics is good. Partisan politics is what the Founders had in mind. It guarantees that the minority opinion is heard, and as a lifelong possessor of minority opinions, I appreciate it.

~Pres. Bartlett
Old 02-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier

apparently, you care about the 30-40m people who don't have health insurance, or you don't.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #230
Refugee

Quote:
apparently, you care about the 30-40m people who don't have health insurance, or you don't.
Yes, because the Republicans don't want ANY health care reform of any kind.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #231
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Do they? I haven't found one that does... Can you show me?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #232
Refugee

Im pretty sure were all aware the Republicans have shown the Democrats proposals of their own, all of which Obama has pretty much rejected...

Personally, I believe the biggest issue to health care reform is barring health care providers from being able to raise costs or deny someone health insurance because of preexisting conditions. I do not know if the Republicans proposals address this, but thats how I feel.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #233
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

And did you read their proposals? They were weak attempts that didn't reform anything, they suggested across state insurance but that doesn't work without federal mandates which they don't want, they talk about tort reform which doesn't need to be part of healthcare it needs to be a seperate issue, etc... Their "reforms" were nothing but... They were jokes. Political grandstanding just so they don't look like the party of no.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #234
Refugee

Quote:
so they don't look like the party of no.
Haha I just read that on some article. That actually may be true, but a lot of the current bill goes against Conservative Republican values which Obama doesn't want to take out, so of course they're not going to vote for the bill if they don't want to sound like hypocrites...most of the bill could work with Republicans, was it Eric Cantor that said Republicans agree on about 80% of the democrats bill?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #235
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Haha I just read that on some article. That actually may be true, but a lot of the current bill goes against Conservative Republican values which Obama doesn't want to take out, so of course they're not going to vote for the bill if they don't want to sound like hypocrites...most of the bill could work with Republicans, was it Eric Cantor that said Republicans agree on about 80% of the democrats bill?
"Conservative Republican Values"? What does that even mean, and what part of providing health care for all does that clash with?

If it's true that they agree with 80% then something should be happening soon, but I somehow doubt it.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #236
Refugee

Quote:
"Conservative Republican Values"? What does that even mean, and what part of providing health care for all does that clash with?
Basically the government stays out of the private sector as much as it can. I won't go so far to say that this bill is a government takeover of health care like all the conservative pundits do, but it is more government intrusion than I feel comfortable with. HOWEVER, if the democrats would be more willing to compromise with the Republicans on the key issues the two sides have with each other, I would be willing to compromise some of my values for the greater good. Unfortunately, I'm not a senator
Old 02-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #237
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Do you believe life and health should be left up to the "private sector"? In otherwords do you believe your mother's future should be determined by profits?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #238
Refugee

Quote:
Do you believe life and health should be left up to the "private sector"? In otherwords do you believe your mother's future should be determined by profits?
Thats generally how capitalism works.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #239
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Thats generally how capitalism works.
So you believe capitalism should rule every aspect of your life? I want you to really think about that...
Old 02-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #240
Refugee

Quote:
So you believe capitalism should rule every aspect of your life? I want you to really think about that...
Thats a pretty sweeping observation you made..I already said that I am open to some of the ideas of the Democrats that the Republicans are opposing. Although I don't really know much about the health bill at all, nor does pretty much anyone here. All anyone hears about are the 30 second sound bites on the news.