MANDATORY health insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people have the opposite effect to anti-histamines and it actually makes them very alert and jumpy...sort of like caffeine.

Interestingly or not, that is the effect I have with alcohol. Whereas everyone else passes out, I am so wired when I'm drunk that I frequently don't sleep that night at all. It's an uncommon reaction, but it happens.

Regarding prescription sleep aids, I actually prefer using an anti-anxiety medication like Ativan (at high doses it's used for insomnia, at low doses, for anxiety) than an outright sleeping pill (although Lunesta has worked very well for me). They feel more natural in the sense that they really relax you and so you feel tired and groggy and fall asleep. The sleeping pills knock you out cold in no time and it's a bit artificial for my liking.

I was thinking about resorting to this. Is it that bad?

for me, i feel like i'm awake and asleep at the same time and i wake up and i'm exhausted and irritable.

but i'm a bit more advanced in my sleep issues -- for some, it probably works. i guess it's worth a try.

From my unqualified POV, I'm imagining it is a combination of stress and adrenal issues, particularly when you mention falling asleep and being suddenly wide awake. The adrenal glands, in theory, get exhausted from all the stress hormones it must produce to keep up, thus allowing you to fall asleep in the first place, but once it "rests up" a bit, it goes back into overdrive, thus keeping you awake. I used to have many of these issues, but they have seemingly gone away. Omega-3, Magnesium, 5-HTP, and phosphatidylserine helped on a lot of this, personally.

Just in case you were interested...

i am. i take fish oil, but none of the rest of this. when do you take them? where do you get them?

i get huge surges of adrenaline when it's dark and quiet and i'm in my bed, would love to combat this with something other than ambien.

I don't know enough about politics OR the health care sector to know the solution, but I do find it depressing that I can get better, faster, and more affordable care for my dogs than for myself. Yeah, I know the standards are different but still.....

From my unqualified POV, I'm imagining it is a combination of stress and adrenal issues, particularly when you mention falling asleep and being suddenly wide awake. The adrenal glands, in theory, get exhausted from all the stress hormones it must produce to keep up, thus allowing you to fall asleep in the first place, but once it "rests up" a bit, it goes back into overdrive, thus keeping you awake. I used to have many of these issues, but they have seemingly gone away. Omega-3, Magnesium, 5-HTP, and phosphatidylserine helped on a lot of this, personally.

Just in case you were interested...

:up:

I averaged about 3-4 hours a sleep a night for most of my life until I started seeing a clinical nutritionist a few years ago. My problem was that I couldn't fall asleep and then around 4AM I would finally have poor quality sleep until I had to get up for work or school. In addition to exactly the supplements you just mentioned, I was told I had an amino acid deficiency from what was then 15 years of vegetarianism so I added aminos. B6 in the form of P5P was also recommended. The very first night I added these supplements to my diet, I slept 10 hours. No kidding. And I have slept extremely well, consistently, ever since. The results for me were astonishing - immediate and lasting with continued supplementation. I go on and off them now.

P5P works pretty damn well. I use it on the nights I don't want the melatonin drugged feeling.

Although I love the melatonin drugged feeling. :drool:

I love P5P so much I kind of almost OD'd on it, popping it like a sleeping pill even when I didn't need it. I like it because it enhances my dreams (you remember those lucid Radiohead dreams I was having? P5P, baby :drool: ). One day I started getting some tingling in my feet. I started to panic because I know so many people with MS and this was how it started. I did a little research and figured out it was too much B6. I stopped taking it every day and the tingling went away. Too much of a good thing.

Here's the answer:

Mr Burd Goes to Washington

Business will pay for government health care.By KIMBERLEY A. STRASSEL

LinkedIn
Digg
del.icio.us

It's Steve Burd's eighth or ninth trip to Capitol Hill this year -- he can't quite remember. Sitting in a hotel lobby late last week, what the busy Safeway CEO does know is that by the end of this trip, he'll have told all 100 U.S. senators his company's health-care story. That alone might deserve applause.

As most of corporate America sits on the health-care sidelines -- issuing vague statements, trying not to offend a new U.S. president -- Mr. Burd has charged into the political debate. "I'm here because health-care simply isn't a partisan issue," he says. There is what works, and what doesn't. "I'm genuinely concerned someone might try to solve this by nationalizing health care, at the moment we at Safeway have proven that it is the market that reins in costs."

Prove it, he can. As recently as 2004, Safeway was suffocating under health-care costs growing at 10% a year. Mr. Burd, who had long been intellectually and politically drawn to the health-care issue, decided it was time to hit the restart button. He blew up the company's existing health-care structure and replaced it with one that embodied market principles -- choice, responsibility, competition and price.

Getty Images

Steve Burd (R), president and CEO of Safeway, testifies before Congress.
Today, Safeway has accomplished what Washington claims is the goal: The company's per-capita health-care expenses have remained flat, compared to the near 40% increase experienced by the rest of corporate America over the past four years. This has not been done by cutting care or shifting costs to employees. Nearly 80% of the 30,000 nonunion Safeway workers who take part in the program rate it good, very good, or excellent.

Magic? Not even. Mr. Burd explains that the "cure for today's ills is simply removing the obstacles to a free health-care market."

The Safeway plan has two main parts that work in tandem. The first involves giving employees a financial stake in the system. Safeway demolished the traditional PPOs and HMOs that encourage consumers to be cavalier about costs. The company today fully pays for an array of primary and preventive visits and tests. But beyond that, employees have skin in the game. The company deposits $1,000 each year into a "health reimbursement account," which workers can use to pay for care. The next $1,000 in expenses is the employee's responsibility. After that, employees pay 20% of costs up to a $4,000 maximum.

Safeway workers these days treat that first $1,000 carefully, since anything beyond it comes out of their pockets. The company is alive with stories of people who no longer visit the emergency room for routine care but instead call around to doctors to ask prices, and swap information with colleagues. Safeway is doing its part to improve price transparency, by having its care administrator, Cigna, analyze claims information. One discovery was that within 30 minutes of its California headquarters routine colonoscopy prices ranged from $700 to $7,000. By the end of the year, employees will be able to go on a Web site, punch in a zip code, and get a list of providers and costs.

The second part of Safeway's plan was an embrace of the obvious: Healthy people cost less. Mr. Burd notes that 75% of health-care costs are the result of four conditions -- cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity. The majority of these are preventable. "Obesity in this country went from 18% to 40% in 20 years -- this is not genetics, this is behavior," he explains. He says that an obese employee can require 10 times the number of doctor visits in a year than someone of healthy weight.

The result was Safeway's "Healthy Measures" program, which is voluntary. Employees are tested for smoking, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol. Every area they "pass" results in a reduction in their premium, of as much as $1,560 for a family, a year. Those who fail but prove progress can get refunds. Safeway complements this with an intense culture of health: weight-loss tips, fitness competitions and smoking cessation programs.

Critics of price incentives argue that they pressure consumers to forego necessary care. Mr. Burd counters that Healthy Measures and the company's free preventive care -- designed to catch problems before they become expensive -- have in fact resulted in a healthier work force. Safeway's smoking and obesity rates are roughly 70% the national average. The program has even been cautiously greeted by Safeway's union leaders, who understand that soaring health costs are eating into union wages.

When I ask Mr. Burd what he hopes to accomplish here, he is blunt that one goal is to prevent a "public option" that would only "piggyback on the experience of Medicare." It's a "Trojan Horse" that will steer people to government and ultimately squeeze out innovative programs like his.

He's also working to ensure that any health-care bill contains provisions that would replicate or encourage Safeway's success. That includes changing current law so that he can offer even steeper premium discounts for good behavior. It also includes his idea to make available Medicare's vast database of providers and costs so Americans can shop around. An optimist, Mr. Burd says he's had "extraordinary receptivity" from both sides of the aisle.

As for his fellow CEOs, Mr. Burd is eager to debate anyone who thinks he will escape costs by dumping health care on the government. Business will still be taxed to pay for the program, making the U.S. less competitive. Far better, says Mr. Burd, for companies to control their destiny, and prove markets can also work for health care. We're about to find out if Washington will let them.

that still doesn't help those who are unemployed though.

however, i will say the company who laid me off has a pretty much identical insurance plan and it was very nice to have. if you just go to the doctor once a year for your physical then you pretty much never pay a dime aside from what comes out of your paycheck. even when i had to get two foot surgeries last year the costs were pretty minimal. but then again, if you're not working, then it's of no use to you.

Sorry for the late reply, but yes in Holland it's mandatory too, so it seems like the US is starting to chose more European ways. Although the costs that are covered through health insurance get less and less by the day. Except when you can afford a high insurance, with extras and more benefits, you're safe. But otherwise, you're still pretty much screwed.

The benefit is though indeed that monthly costs can be brought back if everyone has health insurance.

I think all governments should be doing their best more to make sure everyone can afford health insurance. Which is, of course, an impossible task. But support plans and such should be extended.

It's idiotic.

If people could actually afford insurance, they'd have it. It's another dodge so the Democrats can avoid the real issue, nationalized health care, and so the Republicans can fell like they're doing something, but not supporting nationalized health care. Neither party has the guts to make any real changes.

:up:

i was uninsured for about 2 months last year before i got my job. nice to stick it to the man, if only for 2 months.

I just want to report that I have just been sent away from the Dr. office without having my appt. honored. I have a copay of $15 and I only have a dollar and some change in the bank, so I asked them if they could please not put the check into the bank until this afternoon or tommorrow as I get paid tommorrow. They told me the check would go in at 1 and if I didn't have the money it would bounce. I begged them to just hold off ONE day, but they did not care. I have a hideous ear infection, the entire side of my face is swollen, I can hardly walk or talk, it's blocked up and ringing and the pains are shooting way down my neck. But no one cares, because in this country if you don't have money you are trash that needs to be taken out and forgotten. Nobody cares if you die. I hate to sound cynical but this has been my experience. It's all about money. I am against anything that will lead to any increase in for-profit insurance companies taking advantage of people. At this point I am ready to settle for socialized health care. I never liked it, but really the greed has become ridiculous. The Dr. considers himself a 'business' but it's not something optional like say buying jewelry or getting a tatoo where if you can't afford it you don't get it. You have to go to the Dr. The whole system is fucked and wrong.

:hug:

yeah, compassion replaced by greed and corruption. and overcharging on shit that costs less to nothing, just to make big profit.

and the fact that they want to make these rip-off insurance plans mandatory, with penalties for non-compliance, says something about our system.

we'll spend TRILLIONS of dollars on useless adventures in the middle east, yet we cant keep our people healthy?

we are all slaves and we dont even realize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom