MANDATORY health insurance - Page 49 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #721
She's the One

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Do you support the Government telling people what they can and can't eat, drink or smoke?
Do you support them telling me when to have babies?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #722
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Gotta be very selective in which countries you choose for that comparison huh?
Is there a fatter nation than yours?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #723
She's the One

No.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #724
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Do you support the Government telling people what they can and can't eat, drink or smoke?
What are you even talking about? I've never heard of any government with universal health care ordering people not to eat certain things, drink, or smoke, it's all still an individual choice. But, they do help those who want to be helped.

I don't even know why I'm replying to this nonsense. I'm going back to my usual policy of mentally ignoring you.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #725
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Gotta be very selective in which countries you choose for that comparison huh?
Nice dodge...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #726
She's the One

It's always all about not answering the questions.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 AM   #727
War Child

We're fat because we want to be, it really shouldn't concern anyone except the fat fucks. Maybe being skinny is why Japan kills us in the suicide rate race.

If you ignore me this place is just one big Liberal dick suck, and what's the fun in that?

Why are the UK, Australia and NZ to name a few nearly as fat as us? Genetics?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #728
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
dick suck, and what's the fun in that?
Well...

Quote:
Why are the UK, Australia and NZ to name a few nearly as fat as us? Genetics?
Why are you so bad with numbers?

Obesity statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #729
War Child

You know what nearly meant right? They're closer to us than to France.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:53 AM   #730
ONE
love, blood, life

Drop the term 'Obamacare'. It makes you sound like you're fucking ten years old. The dream of universal healthcare has been around for decades. Don't use a serious moral issue to take childish stabs at a president you dislike. It cheapens the whole debate, destroys your credibility, and insults people everywhere who need healthcare and don't have it.

I really think people who oppose universal healthcare are totally oblivious to how unfathomably arrogant and selfish their position is. Arrogant because every other Western democracy has universal healthcare and yet the anti-universal-healthcare position says that all of those other Western democracies are wrong, that all of the politicians in all of those governments who enacted, ran, and continue to run those universal healthcare systems, are wrong, and that almighty America would be right to reject any and all such systems. Selfish because the anti-universal-healthcare position is in favor of each person paying for his/her own healthcare and looks down on the idea of everyone chipping in so that those who are less financially fortunate can enjoy the same quality of healthcare as those who are financially fortunate.

And then those who oppose universal healthcare use the most ridiculous arguments.

HEAR THE FOLLOWING ONCE AND FOR ALL:

"DEATH PANEL" IS A PHRASE CREATED BY THE RIGHT TO SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF GULLIBLE AND UNINFORMED CONSERVATIVES AND RIGHT-LEANING INDEPENDENTS. THE GOVERNMENT WON'T DECIDE WHO LIVES AND WHO DIES ANYMORE THAN PRIVATE INSURANCE COMPANIES DO - WHICH IS ALREADY TOO MUCH.

GOVERNMENT WILL NOT PAY FOR HEALTHCARE FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

GOVERNMENT WILL NOT TELL YOU WHAT TO EAT OR DRINK. NOBODY IS GOING TO STOP YOU FROM BUYING A BAG OF CHIPS OR A SIX PACK OF BEER, AND NOBODY IS GOING TO COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND SEARCH IT WITH THE INTENT OF CONFISCATING A BAG OF CHIPS OR A SIX PACK OF BEER SHOULD THEY FIND SUCH THINGS.

UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE WOULD NOT BE THE FIRST STEP DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOPE TO BECOMING THE U.A.S.R.

It would be enough if those who oppose universal healthcare were the only problem, but unfortunately there's also the problem of the Democrats in power who do support universal healthcare. They're too fucking terrified of not getting checks from the private insurance companies come 2010, 2012, and beyond, to really be aggressive and all-out about this. They're still sitting at the table with the private insurance companies. The private insurance companies still get to 'ok' every damn word of the bill. That's terrible. That's why all of this hysterical debate is only over the relatively conservative, very un-radical public option, and not real, true, universal healthcare. The Obama administration wants it that way; there are reports that the more progressive Democrats in congress were told in not so many words to sit down and shut up by the administration, because their input into the bill would have been unapproved-by-private-insurance-companies-single-payer-universal-healthcare. They would rather win with a middle-of-the-road bill then lose while trying to go all the way. And the tragedy is that they're having a hell of a time winning with the middle-of-the-road bill, for two reasons; They suck at framing the debate, explaining in simple but powerful terms why it's necessary, and promoting it, and people are stupid.

Those who don't support universal health care: Get over the arrogance, get over the selfishness, get over the idiotic arguments. Those in power who are spineless and are pushing an inadequate middle-of-the-road bill because you want to appease the private health insurance companies and cash their checks in your next election: Get over the arrogance, get over the selfishness. This is a moral issue that gets to the core of who we are as a nation and who we are as a people. To quote Bill Moyers from tonight's episode of Real Time With Bill Maher - Maher had Moyers on for a special nearly thirty minute one-on-one interview, and it should be required viewing for everyone in this country - in response to Maher asking what the appropriate metaphor for this debate is, "We're all in the same boat". He said that, "We're all in this together", and "I don't want to live in a country where I am on a hospital floor getting an operation that costs $25,000, and two floors above me someone is being denied that same surgery because he or she has no money. What kind of a civilization is that?"

What kind of a civilization is that? Can you answer that? What kind of civilization is it that employs a healthcare system that does more to financially benefit private insurance companies than it does to provide healthcare to every man, woman, and child?

What kind of a civilization is that?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #731
She's the One

Quote:

If you ignore me this place is just one big Liberal dick suck, and what's the fun in that?
Just highlighting this one more time, then I'll start ignoring you as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #732
Blue Crack Addict

Excellent post namkcur.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #733
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'd like to suggest we take a step back for a moment and consider a key underlying question. Like a lot of high octane issues, there's often an underlying issue that remains unaddressed while we argue past each other. I think that's the case here.

The question is simply this: Do you think everyone should have access to basic and necessary health care, regardless of ability to pay?

Because if you don't think so, then many of the arguments I've heard here make a lot more sense. After all, we would we spend so much money and risk complicating our current healthcare situation further if it's for something that's essentially unnecessary? I know what the the majority of the posters here think, but I'm especially interested in hearing from INDY, Hyper, Bluer White, and any other opponents of health care reform.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #734
War Child

I'm all for an affordable plan that won't degrade the quality of care.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #735
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:16 PM
YouTube - Man in Obama Mask Whips Elderly Outside Moran/Dean Town Hall

Don' hit me no mo, a'massah!