MANDATORY health insurance - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
My Mom and I both suffer from RLS and it's horrible and I have spent many nights completely unable to sleep because of it.
My sistah! My mom has it, too. Worse than I do, which only leads me to think I have something ever so wonderful to look forward to. Mine used to just occur when I was lying on the couch and would stop as soon as I got up and went to bed, but lately I've started getting it in bed if I couldn't sleep. ARGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I don't mean to offend.
Oh, if I were offended, I wouldn't have posted the mad wife smiley. I've seen several comments online in the past few months that made me realize that there were people who didn't think this was a real thing.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I've seen several comments online in the past few months that made me realize that there were people who didn't think this was a real thing.
That's the feeling I get about insomnia. I've suffered from it in some form or another probably most of or all of my life. I only recently discovered that both my Mom and maternal grandmother had insomnia their whole lives as well.

While I try to manage mine without meds, I do have a couple of prescriptions that I can go to as needed. I can't tell you how many times I've heard some form of "What do you mean you can't sleep...you're not tired enough" in combination with "sleeping pills are bad for you." Well no shit Sherlock, but you try functioning when you are getting 2-3 hrs of sleep a night every night for a week.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
That's the feeling I get about insomnia.
Really? Wow, that surprises me. I have an acquaintance who's suffered from insomnia - it sounds awful. I often have trouble sleeping well, but I'm grateful I usually can sleep.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
While I try to manage mine without meds, I do have a couple of prescriptions that I can go to as needed. I can't tell you how many times I've heard some form of "What do you mean you can't sleep...you're not tired enough" in combination with "sleeping pills are bad for you." Well no shit Sherlock, but you try functioning when you are getting 2-3 hrs of sleep a night every night for a week.

yes, totally. and, for me, the insomnia comes precisely when the pressure is on and i need to be at my best at work (or in life) and without sleep, it all snowballs into something worse. you can't sleep because there's so much to get done, and then you can't get it all done (well) because you haven't slept, and then when you go to sleep that night, you think about how you didn't get it all done (well) and then you can't sleep more. it's really awful.

for years as a child my parents would think that my inability to sleep was some sort of rebellion or petulance, but they didn't get that i couldn't sleep, and then the harder i would "try" the worse it would get, and it's the same today. i've been on the couch watching TV and falling asleep, i get up, walk to the bed, lie down, and i'm suddenly wide awake and my mind is racing and racing and racing ... and there's nothing i can do to stop it. i've done yoga, buddhist meditation, breathing techniques, various herbal teas, etc. the over-the-counter stuff is ghastly (like Advil PM) and i am very, very thankful for the small amount of prescription medication that i do have.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #50
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the over-the-counter stuff is ghastly (like Advil PM)

I was thinking about resorting to this. Is it that bad?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i've been on the couch watching TV and falling asleep, i get up, walk to the bed, lie down, and i'm suddenly wide awake and my mind is racing and racing and racing ... and there's nothing i can do to stop it. i've done yoga, buddhist meditation, breathing techniques, various herbal teas, etc. the over-the-counter stuff is ghastly (like Advil PM) and i am very, very thankful for the small amount of prescription medication that i do have.
From my unqualified POV, I'm imagining it is a combination of stress and adrenal issues, particularly when you mention falling asleep and being suddenly wide awake. The adrenal glands, in theory, get exhausted from all the stress hormones it must produce to keep up, thus allowing you to fall asleep in the first place, but once it "rests up" a bit, it goes back into overdrive, thus keeping you awake. I used to have many of these issues, but they have seemingly gone away. Omega-3, Magnesium, 5-HTP, and phosphatidylserine helped on a lot of this, personally.

Just in case you were interested...
Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I was thinking about resorting to this. Is it that bad?
Although I've never had what I'd call insomnia, I used to pop a couple of Tylenol PMs if I had trouble sleeping. I remember it working fairly well in the past, but when I bought a bottle a few months ago, I noticed they were gel caps instead of oblong tablets, and they don't seem to work as well, at least with me.

I've never tried Advil PM, although maybe I will now.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

As far as I know, "PM" formulations of OTC meds simply contain an antihistamine to make you drowsy. You'd get the same effect from taking Benadryl.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Really? How weird - antihistamines doesn't make me drowsy at all.

The only antihistamine I've ever taken that's made me drowsy was Dimetapp, which knocked me out in the middle of a piano master class in college. My professor took pity on me and let me leave class so I could go lie down.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Advil PM doesn't work at all on me when I have insomnia, the only thing that works is Ambien or alcohol
Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can expand on this, but maybe the drowsiness only occurs with specific types of antihistamines? I do know that Benadryl causes fatigue. It'd be best to check with a pharmacist, though.

I remember having to take them for pretty much the entire month of September throughout my childhood, and feeling like I was struggling to stay awake in school the entire month - that sucked. I'm pretty sure that was before non-drowsy types existed.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
I used to have many of these issues, but they have seemingly gone away. Omega-3, Magnesium, 5-HTP, and phosphatidylserine helped on a lot of this, personally.

Just in case you were interested...
My problems are different - once I'm asleep, I'm fine, but I can't fall asleep, which is the problem. I've also tried everything including 5-HTP, melatonin, special pillows, new mattress, not working out late at night, not using the bed for anything other than sleeping, not having a TV in the bedroom, etc. Nothing really works.

The over the counter stuff is useless for me. The only thing that has worked is Nyquil, but I either need a big dosage (3 pills minimum) or I need to wash it down with some alcohol (this works very well). I know that some people have tried the over-the-counter muscle relaxants, and in my experience they are ineffective. The Rx muscle relaxants on the other hand work great.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can expand on this, but maybe the drowsiness only occurs with specific types of antihistamines?
I know a lot of people who do, but I've never become drowsy on antihistamines...
Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

With insomnia, I go through phases. Sometimes it's falling asleep that's nearly impossible. Other times I fall asleep fine, but wake up after an hour and I'm wide awake for hours. Bleh. I seem sleep most soundly later in my sleep cycle, the last 3 or 4 hours before getting up. It's just getting there that's the problem. I haven't found a drug-free solution yet, either. I usually just go for days and days on 3 hrs a night till I crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I know a lot of people who do, but I've never become drowsy on antihistamines...
Yeah, I've heard of some people getting an opposite effect from them. I guess it just depends on your body chemistry.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #60
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
As far as I know, "PM" formulations of OTC meds simply contain an antihistamine to make you drowsy. You'd get the same effect from taking Benadryl.

Yup...you could take any form of diphenhydramine HCl (the active ingredient in Benedryl) and get the same effect. The only difference is the PM formulas adding in 500mg of Tylenol or Advil, which most people don't really need if they are just having trouble falling asleep.

I get prescription strength diphenhydramine for my allergies and my doctor specifically instructs me to take them at night because of the drowsiness factor.