Man was arranging mass suicide over Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mullen4Prez

Banned
Man was arranging mass suicide over Internet

PORTLAND (Reuters) - An unemployed Oregon man who police said used an Internet chat room to arrange a mass suicide pact with dozens of people on Valentine's Day has been charged with trying to solicit aggravated murder.

Authorities seized the man's computer and are scouring it to identify and contact potential participants in the mass suicide to make sure they are safe, Klamath County Sheriff Captain Chris Montenaro said.

"They are doing welfare checks on all of them," Montenaro said on Friday. "There is a very extensive investigation involving a lot of jurisdictions."

Gerald Krien, 26, was charged with solicitation to commit attempted aggravated murder. He could face 10 to 30 years in prison if convicted.

Participants in the planned group suicide appeared to be people "not happy with that date (Valentine's Day, February 14) and not happy with their own personal lives," Montenaro said.

The police were tipped off by a Canadian woman who learned that one mother was allegedly planning to kill her two children and take her own life.

The chat room was designed for people interested in suicide, Montenaro said.

Krien lives with his parents in the southern Oregon town of Klamath Falls. He has had no prior contact with local law enforcement and is being held on $100,000 (51,000 pounds) bail.

"There is no evidence of a religious or cult following with this group," Montenaro said.

I'll never understand these people at all

Plus Mullen your're posting everywhere now

I've read several articles on this, and I still don't get why they're charging HIM with 'solicitation to commit attempted aggravated murder.' Nothing I've read suggests it was his idea that this mother kill her children first. I suppose it was perhaps (?) legally incumbent on everyone involved to intervene once she stated that intention (though I'm unsure if that principle applies to multinational participants in an internet chatroom?)--but at any rate, that doesn't explain the particular charge they've slapped him with.

deep said:
Should we merge this with

What are your Valentine's Day plans?
in LS?

:lmao:

I agree with the dispute of the supposed charge. I cannot see anything other than 'assisted suicide' and that, I feel, would be harsh.

Back
Top Bottom