Man vs. Animal - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
It is the reality of the situation, animals of no or low sentience cannot comprehend the responsibilities that rights and liberties cine with - they should be treated humanely but not as equal beings or as deserving the same legal protections as humans.

Animal rights is fundamentally flawed, im all for humane treatment of animals but not rights.

We use animals for meat, sport and entertainment - if we yielded to the animal rights crowd then all of these would be wrong.
Man, I am generally conservative in my views but this is a tough stance.

Just because an animal can't ask for rights - it doesn't mean they are not entitled to rights. (you do claim their "right" to be treated humanely - which is good)

Should they be treated with all the rights of a human? No. But they are entitled to some I believe. I just don't know where the line is.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I would bet that Christian relief organizations are doing far more than the cynical secularism that is offered as an alternative.
Amen!

Old 06-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I would bet that Christian relief organizations are doing far more than the cynical secularism that is offered as an alternative.
I would too.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

We thought the same thing about Captain Kirk's communicator. Would you agree that it is at least a worthy goal? If it was possible - would you prefer computer simulations over live animal testing?
Would you get on a plane which has never been test flown, only run on computer simulations ?

I have to believe from your post that you're not actually in the Science or Technology fields, and i certainly hope you never have kids who never get seriously sick, after all, what's the point in just having them live a few more years ? Save the rats instead eh ?.........
Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

Would you get on a plane which has never been test flown, only run on computer simulations ?

I have to believe from your post that you're not actually in the Science or Technology fields, and i certainly hope you never have kids who never get seriously sick, after all, what's the point in just having them live a few more years ? Save the rats instead eh ?.........
Funny enough, I actually work for a BioTech company here in California - designing, building and maintaining the very systems that run tests.

I actually do not believe at this time we can do 100% computerized testing for disease treatments. I just think that this should be the goal. If, in theory, we could do valid research without animals - why not?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:

If, in theory, we could do valid research without animals - why not?
So, you WOULD get on a plane which has never been tested, only computer simulated. I wouldn't.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

So, you WOULD get on a plane which has never been tested, only computer simulated. I wouldn't.
I don't know...that would really be putting me theory to the test would it not?

I definitely wouldn't do it today. I think it is worth hoping that I would sometime in the future.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:10 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:

Funny enough, I actually work for a BioTech company here in California - designing, building and maintaining the very systems that run tests.

I actually do not believe at this time we can do 100% computerized testing for disease treatments. I just think that this should be the goal. If, in theory, we could do valid research without animals - why not?
And you're in the seminary? Is the seminary different from the priesthood? Back when I was well, younger, it meant full time study for 6-odd years.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Back when I was well, younger, it meant full time study for 6-odd years.
That probably still is true for a priest. I am not Catholic and I go part time. Full time would take three years for Master in Divinity...for me it will take 5 or 6