Man tries to blow up Paris-to-Miami flight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoctorGonzo

War Child
CNN link

At least the passengers and crew realized what was happening and took him down.

I think this will actually serve as a deterrant to future hijackers or anyone trying to pull terrorist shit on a plane, they will know that passengers will fuck them up if they try anything. The passengers know the score, they know they have nothing to lose by trying to take on any fucktards who try to cause shit.

I guess this is better than the terrorists finding out during a much larger and more planned out attempt where the danger to innocents (especially those on the plane) would be much greater. One guy with a bomb is easier to take on than 6 guys with knives.

This looks like a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. Doesn't fit the usual Al-Queda style of lots of participants and a hell of a lot of planning and failsafes.

The guy was probably part of a broken-up cell who decided to take things into his own hands.

We should be very grateful the flight attendant and other passengers were so alert to this little shithead. It seems he tried to bite the flight attendant when she intervened; what a freaking baby.

Sweet. (The part about the passengers and crew beating him down, that is.)

As long as hijackers are as stupid as that guy, vigilante justice will be quite sufficient.

How awful it must of been for those poor passengers. Thanks God that person was stopped. I have flown twice since the terrible tragedy, and I was not scared, but maybe next time I might think twice, cause you never know.

Lets not jump to all these conclusions

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Now they are saying it is not a terrorist attack.

Just an asshole.

What do you mean by "not a terrorist"? From the BBC's report, a passenger is quoted as saying "we weren't afraid. He looked like a junkie. I don't think he was a terrorist." Are you quoting some official?

I would think that anybody who can put C-4 in his shoes would be investigated for links to the major terrorist groups, but I could be wrong.

Does anybody know the nationality of this guy? Just curious. I thought he was French, but I assumed that because the flight was from France.

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

What do you mean by "not a terrorist"? From the BBC's report, a passenger is quoted as saying "we weren't afraid. He looked like a junkie. I don't think he was a terrorist." Are you quoting some official?

Channel 5 Boston.

They said he told them he was from Sri Lanka. There is a good interview with a young passenger whose father is a reporter for the Orange County Register, and she says she was scared of him when he walked past her, she thought why did they let him on...because she thought he was on drugs or something. And sure enough, they said on CNN he was told he could not board, and then got back in line and was allowed to board by another "screener." What is doubly scary about flying, besides who might get on the plane, is the fact that who is it exactly gives the order for the F15s to shoot it down?

What is doubly scary about flying, besides who might get on the plane, is the fact that who is it exactly gives the order for the F15s to shoot it down?

If I recall correctly, The chain of command is:

The President

Vice President

Regional Commander

If a regional commander can't get in touch with either the President or Vice President, they have the authority to issue such an order on their own.

Just to comment on this development in our effort to try and heal from what was taken from all of us 3 months ago.

I work for an airline and am really disturbed at the actual lack of real security that exists in the American airline system. I would like to refrain from specifics just for my own peace of mind that I might be aiding anyone trying to take advantage of these gaps. In my humble opinion what you hear these talking heads on televions talking about when they refer to security gaps is really only the tip of the iceberg. If someone is intent on taking control of an aircraft or destroying it, there is little anyone can do to prevent it. There are ways around every thing that the FAA and the NTSB devises to foil that threat. I personally do not feel at ease flying these days and have chosen to drive these last few months.
This is in no way intended to scare anyone, but realize that security ANYWHERE in the world now is a state of mind rather than a reality.

God Bless us ALL

------------------
Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash..Mister!

Originally posted by cmb737:
If someone is intent on taking control of an aircraft or destroying it, there is little anyone can do to prevent it.

Just to play devil's advocate...
Wouldn't you say this guy was intent on destroying this aircraft?

Let me rephrase...be intent (willing to die) AND financially equipped. I did not mean to say that every single person that tries will succeed but rather those with enough motivation, money, time and resources can indeed find a way to accomplish what ever they would like to do.

The only true way to make air travel secure is to follow the example set by El Al...check every passenger's backround, luggage, papers, person, travel intentions, credit history, and be vigilant with military presence.

------------------
Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash..Mister!

Back
Top Bottom