Man shoots himself at ground zero because Bush won

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Now I've heard the jokes about leaving the country, but the planet? This is an extreme way of dealing with things, huh?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...on_re_us/ground_zero_suicide&cid=519&ncid=716

Man Shoots, Kills Himself at Ground Zero

50 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

NEW YORK - A 25-year-old man from Georgia who was apparently distraught over President Bush's re-election shot and killed himself at ground zero. Andrew Veal's body was found Saturday morning inside the off-limits site, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found nearby, but no suicide note was found, Coleman said.

Veal's mother said her son was upset about the result of the presidential election and had driven to New York, Gus Danese, president of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The New York Times in Sunday's editions.

Friends said Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry.

"I'm absolutely sure it's a protest," Mary Anne Mauney, Veal's supervisor at the lab, told The Daily News. "I don't know what made him commit suicide, but where he did it was symbolic."

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

Last edited:
This is absolutely ridiculous. This is NOT the way to deal with things. Obviously, this guy had a lot more problems than just Bush winning.

thats sad
I agree with the above post, he probably had alot more probs than just the election results
luckily he did it BEFORE he got married
wonder what it was in his background that made him do it besides the obvious fact he was sorta mentle maybe...
that is mean to say but did he know something the rest of us didnt?

Last edited:
I agree, this person had some sort of suicidal predisposition. I'm depressed too, but killing myself? There's too much to look forward to in the future. It's just the end of one historical cycle and the beginning of another one. That being said one thing I don't like about this society is that I feel that emotional expressiveness isn't really socially acceptable, and it's causing some problems. If you really feel something you should say it, not bottle it up. I'm afraid too much "bottling up" is going on all over.

verte76 said:
one thing I don't like about this society is that I feel that emotional expressiveness isn't really socially acceptable, and it's causing some problems. If you really feel something you should say it, not bottle it up. I'm afraid too much "bottling up" is going on all over.

Too true. It seems like anyone expressing their feelings either gets called a weirdo or gets jumped on so hard by those with opposing views that most people won't say what they really think and feel and that's sad.

U2Kitten said:

Too true. It seems like anyone expressing their feelings either gets called a weirdo or gets jumped on so hard by those with opposing views that most people won't say what they really think and feel and that's sad.

I think it's important for people to say what they think. Don't be afraid of getting shouted down. I'm shy, so it's not always easy for me to stick out my neck and express myself. Usually when we have demonstrations here at least one counter-demonstrator shows up to yell at us or whatever. I'm sorry, I think counter-demonstrating is silly. I defend freedom of speech, but that's not to say all of it makes sense or is rational. This is a time of great emotional currents right now as we just got through a bitter and divisive election campaign. Don't kill yourself over the results, if you are a liberal like I am get your supply of poster board for demonstration signs and look forward to working for change in the future. We have a future to look forward to and to fight for.

carrieluvv said:

luckily he did it BEFORE he got married

I don't think you meant offense, but I think that is a horrible thing to say. It's sad that he did it at anytime, let alone if it was before or after he got married. :down:

carrieluvv said:

wonder what it was in his background that made him do it besides the obvious fact he was sorta mentle maybe...
that is mean to say but did he know something the rest of us didnt?

I think it is impossible to know why an individual ultimately chooses to commit suicide. I'd be willing to bet it is usually a culmination of a myriad of reasons though, reasons that make perfect sense in the individual's skewed vision of reality.

verte76 said:

I think it's important for people to say what they think. Don't be afraid of getting shouted down. I'm shy, so it's not always easy for me to stick out my neck and express myself. Usually when we have demonstrations here at least one counter-demonstrator shows up to yell at us or whatever. I'm sorry, I think counter-demonstrating is silly. I defend freedom of speech, but that's not to say all of it makes sense or is rational. This is a time of great emotional currents right now as we just got through a bitter and divisive election campaign. Don't kill yourself over the results, if you are a liberal like I am get your supply of poster board for demonstration signs and look forward to working for change in the future. We have a future to look forward to and to fight for.

:yes: I always express my opinions. People tell me to "just shut up" all the time, but that just makes me go off even more. I get things off my chest in a polite way, I don't bottle crap up, and I tend to be very much at peace with myself. The guy who did this probably had many probelms, and this just pushed him over the edge. It's too bad when anyone commits suicide, but at that place and for this reason in particular is depressing.

Mark Freedman said:
This is absolutely ridiculous. This is NOT the way to deal with things. Obviously, this guy had a lot more problems than just Bush winning.

Yes. It is too bad he did not get help before this tragic event.

nbcrusader said:

Yes. It is too bad he did not get help before this tragic event.

I think it's unfortunate that some people think asking for help is a sign of weakness. Actually it's a sign of strength. It takes guts to face your emotional demons and realize you can't deal with them by yourself.

This may be the reason he gave to other people, but nobody commits suicide without a myriad of accompanying reasons.

anitram said:
This may be the reason he gave to other people, but nobody commits suicide without a myriad of accompanying reasons.

That's right. Suicide is a very extreme thing. Most depressed people never do it.

Suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do, this individual was probably suffering from some severe problems - I also think that it shows that severe hatred of Bush can be a sign of mental instability.

Suicide isn't about killing yourself. It's about getting people to see that you killed yourself. People who commit suicide aren't just depressed. That's part of it, but not the whole of it. People who commit suicide feel like they aren't being heard, so-to-speak, in life. They feel like no one is listening to them. This can either be because they're right and no one is listening to them, or it can be a psychological thing, whereby it doesn't matter how much people listen, it doesn't feel like they are. In either case, the person in question feels utterly and indescribably unheard. That's what leads to suicide, not just depression. This is not an excuse, mind you, merely an explanation.

I am not kidding, people who display totally paranoid loathing and hatred of the President beyond all logical bounds may be suffering from deeper problems, I am not saying that if you criticize the administration then you should be dragged off to a mental institution for reeducation like in the Soviet Union under Stalin but there are a few totally paranoid individuals out there who probably need help, just check out indymedia and you can find them.

P.S.: This is coming from a guy who spent the last 2 years of high school dealing with a little sister who sliced her arm up numerous times, swallowed whole bunch of pills and wound up doped up in hospital recovering for 18 months - that was severe depression and psycosis, she was hearing voices it had absolutely nothing to do with attention or wanting people to know that she died it was debilitating mental illness. She is much better now but this shit is serious and if the signs are there I would hope that somebody can help these poor souls. We have all probably had some experience on this front, but when I look at it I automatically bring what I have experienced to the table and I think that this person was sick.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
Suicide isn't about killing yourself. It's about getting people to see that you killed yourself.

Was it Durkheim who argued that suicide is a supremely social act?

Ok I misunderstood you. I thought you meant severe loathing of Bush specifically meant you had mental problems. I now see you meant to say that severe loathing of any president means one has the mental issues.

Sorry to hear that about your sister, that's terrible. Certainly hope she's well now.

She's much better, nothing is better for that than strong and dedicated parents, lets hear it for parents :applaud:

A_Wanderer said:
She's much better, nothing is better for that than strong and dedicated parents, lets hear it for parents :applaud:

I'm sure she and you are honoured to be their children. :)

I have an aunt who is a paranoid schizophrenic, attempted suicide many times and it's a terribly debilitating illness. Very, very sad.

A_Wanderer said:
I also think that it shows that severe hatred of Bush can be a sign of mental instability.

What's your point? Severe hatred of ANYTHING can be a sign of mental instability.

A_Wanderer said:
Suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do, this individual was probably suffering from some severe problems - I also think that it shows that severe hatred of Bush can be a sign of mental instability.

People always say that suicide is selfish or cowardly. Lemme tell ya, it's neither one. People that do it are in incredible pain and they dont see any other way out. Most of the time the people who do it or attempt it think that the ones they love will be better off without them, without having them as a burden.

People who feel suicidal should not have blamed put on them, they should not be told not to do it because it is selfish or cowardly. They should be asked not to do it because they are loved, important and needed.

Suicide is committed only by people in intense personal pain that they don't feel like is going to end. It's tragic. When I was in a therapy group years ago one of the members committed suicide. It was a really traumatic experience for all of us. The guy was a schizophrenic who didn't respond to therapy and some really crummy things were going on in his life. We knew he had problems, but the suicide was a complete shock. I too believe intense hatred, any intense hatred, is rooted in some factors that cause the person to be in some way disturbed. I'm disappointed at what happened last week, too, but heavens, it's certainly not worth taking your life over. It's not worth compromising the quality of your life over. Political events happen, presidents come and go, and life goes on. I feel badly for this guy's family, there's nothing worse than going through this sort of loss. Two years ago a library co-worker committed suicide and that was stressful big time. It's the saddest thing in the world that some people are in this kind of pain. :sad: :sad:

LoveTown said:

People always say that suicide is selfish or cowardly. Lemme tell ya, it's neither one. People that do it are in incredible pain and they dont see any other way out. Most of the time the people who do it or attempt it think that the ones they love will be better off without them, without having them as a burden.

People who feel suicidal should not have blamed put on them, they should not be told not to do it because it is selfish or cowardly. They should be asked not to do it because they are loved, important and needed.

VERY nice post. Thank you.

I also have a problem with this story because they said ground zero is well protected and they don't know how he got in there. Most of the site has a fence at least 10 feet around it and most of it is not scalable. It makes you wonder how safe we are. No matter how many barriers you put up, there is always a weak link. If someone is determined enough, they can commit suicide at Ground Zero or far worse by harming others in the process.

A_Wanderer said:
P.S.: This is coming from a guy who spent the last 2 years of high school dealing with a little sister who sliced her arm up numerous times, swallowed whole bunch of pills and wound up doped up in hospital recovering for 18 months - that was severe depression and psycosis, she was hearing voices it had absolutely nothing to do with attention or wanting people to know that she died it was debilitating mental illness. She is much better now but this shit is serious

Do me a favour, next time you see her give her a hug and tell her the angels love her. I hope she´s ok. All the best.

As to the guy on ground zero: I´m sorry for him.

Bonochick said:

VERY nice post. Thank you.

You are very welcome. I think most of us have been at that point at one time or another and some of us have lost loved ones to suicide.

Thankyou HipHop, I think that everybody can agree that people can get pretty screwed up on their own - lets hope that that man is at peace one way or another.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Thankyou HipHop, I think that everybody can agree that people can get pretty screwed up on their own

Sometimes I ask myself if the individual is to "blame", so to say, or evil influences outside of the individual´s brain and reach. What do you think?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom