Man shoots himself at ground zero because Bush won - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Suicide isn't about killing yourself. It's about getting people to see that you killed yourself. People who commit suicide aren't just depressed. That's part of it, but not the whole of it. People who commit suicide feel like they aren't being heard, so-to-speak, in life. They feel like no one is listening to them. This can either be because they're right and no one is listening to them, or it can be a psychological thing, whereby it doesn't matter how much people listen, it doesn't feel like they are. In either case, the person in question feels utterly and indescribably unheard. That's what leads to suicide, not just depression. This is not an excuse, mind you, merely an explanation.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:51 AM
I am not kidding, people who display totally paranoid loathing and hatred of the President beyond all logical bounds may be suffering from deeper problems, I am not saying that if you criticize the administration then you should be dragged off to a mental institution for reeducation like in the Soviet Union under Stalin but there are a few totally paranoid individuals out there who probably need help, just check out indymedia and you can find them.

P.S.: This is coming from a guy who spent the last 2 years of high school dealing with a little sister who sliced her arm up numerous times, swallowed whole bunch of pills and wound up doped up in hospital recovering for 18 months - that was severe depression and psycosis, she was hearing voices it had absolutely nothing to do with attention or wanting people to know that she died it was debilitating mental illness. She is much better now but this shit is serious and if the signs are there I would hope that somebody can help these poor souls. We have all probably had some experience on this front, but when I look at it I automatically bring what I have experienced to the table and I think that this person was sick.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Suicide isn't about killing yourself. It's about getting people to see that you killed yourself.
Was it Durkheim who argued that suicide is a supremely social act?
Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Ok I misunderstood you. I thought you meant severe loathing of Bush specifically meant you had mental problems. I now see you meant to say that severe loathing of any president means one has the mental issues.

Sorry to hear that about your sister, that's terrible. Certainly hope she's well now.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

She's much better, nothing is better for that than strong and dedicated parents, lets hear it for parents
Old 11-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
She's much better, nothing is better for that than strong and dedicated parents, lets hear it for parents
I'm sure she and you are honoured to be their children.

I have an aunt who is a paranoid schizophrenic, attempted suicide many times and it's a terribly debilitating illness. Very, very sad.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I also think that it shows that severe hatred of Bush can be a sign of mental instability.
What's your point? Severe hatred of ANYTHING can be a sign of mental instability.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:17 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do, this individual was probably suffering from some severe problems - I also think that it shows that severe hatred of Bush can be a sign of mental instability.
People always say that suicide is selfish or cowardly. Lemme tell ya, it's neither one. People that do it are in incredible pain and they dont see any other way out. Most of the time the people who do it or attempt it think that the ones they love will be better off without them, without having them as a burden.

People who feel suicidal should not have blamed put on them, they should not be told not to do it because it is selfish or cowardly. They should be asked not to do it because they are loved, important and needed.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Suicide is committed only by people in intense personal pain that they don't feel like is going to end. It's tragic. When I was in a therapy group years ago one of the members committed suicide. It was a really traumatic experience for all of us. The guy was a schizophrenic who didn't respond to therapy and some really crummy things were going on in his life. We knew he had problems, but the suicide was a complete shock. I too believe intense hatred, any intense hatred, is rooted in some factors that cause the person to be in some way disturbed. I'm disappointed at what happened last week, too, but heavens, it's certainly not worth taking your life over. It's not worth compromising the quality of your life over. Political events happen, presidents come and go, and life goes on. I feel badly for this guy's family, there's nothing worse than going through this sort of loss. Two years ago a library co-worker committed suicide and that was stressful big time. It's the saddest thing in the world that some people are in this kind of pain.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:28 PM   #25
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown

People always say that suicide is selfish or cowardly. Lemme tell ya, it's neither one. People that do it are in incredible pain and they dont see any other way out. Most of the time the people who do it or attempt it think that the ones they love will be better off without them, without having them as a burden.

People who feel suicidal should not have blamed put on them, they should not be told not to do it because it is selfish or cowardly. They should be asked not to do it because they are loved, important and needed.
VERY nice post. Thank you.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 11-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #26
New Yorker

I also have a problem with this story because they said ground zero is well protected and they don't know how he got in there. Most of the site has a fence at least 10 feet around it and most of it is not scalable. It makes you wonder how safe we are. No matter how many barriers you put up, there is always a weak link. If someone is determined enough, they can commit suicide at Ground Zero or far worse by harming others in the process.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:36 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Quote:
P.S.: This is coming from a guy who spent the last 2 years of high school dealing with a little sister who sliced her arm up numerous times, swallowed whole bunch of pills and wound up doped up in hospital recovering for 18 months - that was severe depression and psycosis, she was hearing voices it had absolutely nothing to do with attention or wanting people to know that she died it was debilitating mental illness. She is much better now but this shit is serious
Do me a favour, next time you see her give her a hug and tell her the angels love her. I hope she´s ok. All the best.

As to the guy on ground zero: I´m sorry for him.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

VERY nice post. Thank you.
You are very welcome. I think most of us have been at that point at one time or another and some of us have lost loved ones to suicide.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:22 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Thankyou HipHop, I think that everybody can agree that people can get pretty screwed up on their own - lets hope that that man is at peace one way or another.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:37 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Quote:
Thankyou HipHop, I think that everybody can agree that people can get pretty screwed up on their own
Sometimes I ask myself if the individual is to "blame", so to say, or evil influences outside of the individual´s brain and reach. What do you think?