Man Convicted in Omagh Bombing Walks Free - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,344
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Man Convicted in Omagh Bombing Walks Free

DUBLIN, Ireland - The only man convicted in connection with Northern Ireland's deadliest bombing walked free from prison Friday after winning an appeal and posting bail, an outcome that disgusted survivors of the 1998 blast.

Three years ago, Colm Murphy, 52, received a 14-year sentence for allegedly supplying two cell phones to Irish Republican Army (news - web sites) dissidents who detonated a car bomb in the town of Omagh, killing 29 people and wounding more than 300.

But last week, appellate judges threw out his conviction after finding that two detectives who interrogated Murphy in 1999 rewrote their interview notes and denied doing this under oath. The trial judges who convicted Murphy had accepted accounts from other detectives, who said Murphy had confessed to supplying the phones.

On Friday, Murphy, 52, posted bail of $65,000 in cash provided by his sister and daughter. His retrial, if it happens at all, isn't expected to begin until after the two accused detectives stand trial on perjury charges.

A widower of one woman killed in Omagh, Laurence Rush, denounced Murphy from the public gallery of the Court of Criminal Appeal and appealed to the judges not to let him go.

But the judges barred journalists from reporting Rush's detailed allegations of criminality against Murphy, saying this would violate his rights pending a retrial.

Outside court, Rush — whose wife, Libbi, was crushed when the blast leveled her furniture shop — said he would never forgive Murphy and would pray for his eventual return to prison.

Murphy refused to comment as he walked free and went into a pub with friends.

Outside the pub, his daughter Leonora read a statement expressing delight with his freedom — and disgust with what happened in Omagh.

"Our hearts go out to the people of Omagh who have lost their loved ones. It was a terrible atrocity which should never have happened, but also one that destroyed my father's life," she said.

Murphy's bail conditions require him to surrender his passport and to report daily to his local police station in Dundalk, a town bordering Northern Ireland — a British territory that IRA dissidents are still trying to attack with occasional bombs.

Murphy is a veteran anti-British militant. He was convicted twice for possessing arms in 1972 and 1976, the latter after being caught following a prison escape.

In 1983, he was caught in New York trying to buy heavy machine guns from undercover FBI (news - web sites) officers and served two years of a five-year sentence before being deported to Ireland.

But as part of their acquittal ruling last week, judges ruled that the original trial judges based their conviction in part on Murphy's previous criminal record, which undermined his right to be presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

Murphy is one of five men being sued by survivors of the Omagh blast for $19 million. The civil suit, unprecedented in the history of Northern Ireland, is expected to begin later this year. Three of the four others are behind bars in the Republic of Ireland, serving sentences for other dissident IRA activities.
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 01-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Jamila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,454
Local Time: 01:15 PM
I think this article needs to be scrutinized by anyone interested in the situation in Northern Ireland, because it speaks a sad truth.

Throughout the history of the British in Northern Ireland, those fighting for freedom for the native Irish have been systematically and brutally repressed and destroyed, only to find new seeds of resistance growing out of the fertile soil of the Irish sense of independence.

Mr. Murphy was set free because of EVIDENCE THAT HE WAS SET UP BY TWO DETECTIVES INVESTIGATING THE BOMBING! This sort of false imprisonment and persecution of those sympathetic to the republican viewpoint in Northern Ireland is nothing new - it is part of an historic effort by the British (mainly English) powers that be to keep Northern Ireland part of the Britain instead of simply giving Ireland back to the Irish (thank you, Paul McCartney) .

So when we look at the current investigation into the robbery at the Northern Bank back in December, it behooves us to keep our minds open on the culprits of this event.

The very people who are accused today of staging this robbery may find themselves vindicated down the road - just like Mr. Murphy and the victims of Bloody Sunday.

I'm not STARING AT THE SUN....
__________________

__________________
Jamila is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,388
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Their lives are bigger than any big idea.

Rocio Abad Ramos (age 23)
Mary Grimes (66)
Avril Monaghan (30)
James Barker (12)
Olive Hawkes (60)
Maura Monaghan (1)
Fernando Blasco Baselga (12)
Julia Hughes (21)
Alan Radford (16)
Geraldine Breslin (43)
Brenda Logue (17)
Elizabeth Rush (57)
Deborah-Anne Cartwright (20)
Jolene Marlow (17)
Veda Short (56)
Gareth Conway (18)
Ann McCombe (48)
Philomena Skelton (49)
Breda Devine (1)
Brian McCrory (54)
Bryan White (27)
Oran Doherty (8)
Samantha McFarland (17)
Frederick White (60)
Adrian Gallagher (21)
Sean McGrath (61)
Lorraine Wilson (15)
Esther Gibson (36)
Sean McLaughlin (12)

29 people too many.
__________________
DaveC is online now  
Old 02-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Jamila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,454
Local Time: 01:15 PM
agreed, DaveC


Here is another example of a fiasco by the British "justice" system as it pertains to Northern Ireland and those who may be identified as sympathetic to the republican struggle:



PM 'to apologise to bomb accused'

Gerry Conlon is campaigning for a public apology
Tony Blair is expected to issue a public apology for the wrongful imprisonment of Gerry Conlon - one of the Guildford Four - and his father.
Five people were killed when the IRA planted a bomb in the Horse and Groom pub in Guildford in October 1974.

Mr Conlon and his late father Guiseppe were both jailed over the bombing, but their sentences were quashed in 1989.

Speaking on BBC's The Politics Show NI Secretary Paul Murphy said he thought Mr Blair would offer a public apology.

"He has already written, of course, to the family expressing his view that there was a very serious miscarriage of justice, he very much regrets that, and that he is very sorry for the hurt and suffering of the family," he said.

"I have no doubt that if asked the same in public he would make a similar public apology.


Mr Murphy said that if asked, Mr Blair would make a public apology

"There are all sorts of ways in which that can happen but I am sure he will talk to the taoiseach on Tuesday, the taoiseach will raise it and they can work it out from there."

Mr Conlon was one of four people initially detained after the Guildford attack, which claimed the lives of four soldiers and a civilian.

The four jailed had their sentences quashed after doubts over evidence. The Conlon family has received a private acknowledgement that there was a miscarriage of justice but are campaigning for it to go further.

Mr Conlon welcomed Mr Murphy's comments saying the family had been living with a "stain on its character for 30 years".

Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster on Monday he said that even after their release there had been a "whispering campaign" that they had been let out on technicalities.

"My father always thought we had been sacrificial lambs to the judiciary to take pressure off the British police who at that time, for whatever reason, were ignoring all the evidence that pointed to other people who had bombed Guildford and were attacking parts of London and my father needed his name cleared.

"I think Tony Blair should stand at the despatch box and issue a public apology hopefully til the family who will be in the Houses of Parliament when he does issue that apology," he said.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern met the family last week and has said he will raise the issue of a public apology when he meets Mr Blair on Tuesday.

The Guildford Four and the Maguire Seven were later jailed in connection with the Guildford bomb and other bombings in Woolwich, south-east London.

Mr Conlon's father Guiseppe, who had a history of bronchial problems, died in prison in 1980 while serving his sentence.

A number of MPs, church leaders, journalists and legal figures raised concerns about the convictions.

In October 1989 the Court of Appeal quashed the sentences of the Guildford Four, and in June 1991 it overturned the sentences on the Maguire Seven.

Mr Conlon's case was highlighted in the Oscar-nominated film In The Name Of The Father, starring Daniel Day-Lewis.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4220901.stm


One more example how you can't trust the British legal system for the truth when it comes to the "Troubles" in NI.
__________________
Jamila is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
agreed, DaveC

One more example how you can't trust the British legal system for the truth when it comes to the "Troubles" in NI.
I hope you're not relying upon Sinn Fein or any of the Terrorist organizations they support for truth either.
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Jamila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,454
Local Time: 01:15 PM
No - I'm relying on God to reveal the truth.

I'm definitely relying on the British NI authorities.

I've just given you at least 3 examples (Mr. Colm Murphy, Gerry Conlon, the victims of Bloddy Sunday) in this thread where they (British authorities) have had to retract themselves and their policies toward individuals sympathetic to the republican struggle!

You can't deny the truth of the articles I just posted.

I just ask for skepticism for the "intelligence" collected by British NI authorities as so much of it turns out to be ultimately FALSE!

Is that too hard to do?
__________________
Jamila is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
No - I'm relying on God to reveal the truth.

I'm definitely relying on the British NI authorities.

I've just given you at least 3 examples (Mr. Colm Murphy, Gerry Conlon, the victims of Bloddy Sunday) in this thread where they (British authorities) have had to retract themselves and their policies toward individuals sympathetic to the republican struggle!

You can't deny the truth of the articles I just posted.

I just ask for skepticism for the "intelligence" collected by British NI authorities as so much of it turns out to be ultimately FALSE!

Is that too hard to do?
No one is denying the truth of anything of you posted.

I just hope you aren't relying on the murdering thugs (I believe you called them "freedom fighters") known as the IRA, or their equally complicit "political wing" for anything resembling the truth either.
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Jamila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,454
Local Time: 01:15 PM
cardiosino - didn't I just answer this same question in the post of mine that you just quoted?

We need to get beyond rhetoric on all sides.
__________________
Jamila is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
Refugee
 
bonoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Edmonton, Canada- Charlestown, Ireland
Posts: 1,398
Local Time: 12:15 PM
So Cardisino, who do you trust in NI then?

The DUP is the loyalist answer to Sinn Fein. The UUP and SDLP are near extiction!

You call the IRA muderous thugs, well i'd assume that you'd agree that the UVF, LVF, UDA and UFF are much the same but less known about. Their represenitives are the DUP, even though the DUP wont admit it.

What Sinn Fein does, in telling people that they actually represent and can discuss things with the IRA is what NI needs. The Loyalist terrorists go about burning taxi cars, drive by shootings and punnishment beating (3 times more then the IRA since the talks broke down) but yet you dont here about the criminality of the Loyalists or DUP. Paisley has set himself up in a good position, that he cant be blamed for the criminality of the loyalist terror groups but yet rep. them in NI.

At least Sinn Fein try to keep the IRA on a lease, which is more then can be said for Paisley and Robinson.

With regards to the Northern Bank raid, i'll be honest with you, the IRA or a dissident group carried out the job. Thats my opinion, but my feelings are not a court of law, and Paul Murphy, Bertie, or Blair should'nt come out and pubblicy accuse the IRA of commiting the act if they are unable to give any facts. Its slander in the eyes of Republicans. If they showed the evidence then let us make up our minds the IRA would then be shown to have done it. Or if they cant give the evidence yet because of the investigation then bite your bleedin tounges and wait till you can.

Just to make clear, the Provisonal IRA was not resonisble for the Omagh bomdings, though they have commited their sins. People involved in the dissident IRA's are not rep. of Sinn Fein. Many people, not you specifically, think that anytime they hear IRA it means the IRA that SF rep. There is the RIRA, CIRA, INLA, so please anyone reading this make sure you have the right group when reading these stories.
__________________
bonoman is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
So Cardisino, who do you trust in NI then?

I know who I DON'T trust, the IRA, Sinn Fein, Ian Paisley.......


Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
You call the IRA muderous thugs,
[/B]
You don't ?

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
well i'd assume that you'd agree that the UVF, LVF, UDA and UFF are much the same but less known about. Their represenitives are the DUP, even though the DUP wont admit it.
[/B]
No doubt.

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
What Sinn Fein does, in telling people that they actually represent and can discuss things with the IRA is what NI needs.
[/B]

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
At least Sinn Fein try to keep the IRA on a lease, which is more then can be said for Paisley and Robinson.
[/B]
If Sinn Fein (or Ian Paisley) were to come clean and have the terrorists (on both sides) rounded up, maybe there might be more of a chance for a true peace. As it is, they harbor them, and are therefore complicit in whatever actions they carry out.

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

Just to make clear, the Provisonal IRA was not resonisble for the Omagh bomdings, though they have commited their sins. People involved in the dissident IRA's are not rep. of Sinn Fein. Many people, not you specifically, think that anytime they hear IRA it means the IRA that SF rep. There is the RIRA, CIRA, INLA, so please anyone reading this make sure you have the right group when reading these stories. [/B]
To be honest, I've been in this country so long that when I hear IRA I think "retirement plan"

A friend of mine in the same industry as I am is from NI (I'm from the mildly sectarian West of Scotland where songs about the virtues of the Pope and the Queen and King Billy are learned from a very young age), when I ask him about how he came to the US, his answer was along the lines of "when you're a Catholic Chemistry techer your knowledge is in demand from the wrong people.

Once the IRA and the unionist equivalents disarm, I think real progress can be made.

Until then, let's recognize them for what they are, not "freedom fighters", but just a bunch of murderous thugs.
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,388
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
So Cardisino, who do you trust in NI then?

The DUP is the loyalist answer to Sinn Fein. The UUP and SDLP are near extiction!

You call the IRA muderous thugs, well i'd assume that you'd agree that the UVF, LVF, UDA and UFF are much the same but less known about. Their represenitives are the DUP, even though the DUP wont admit it.

What Sinn Fein does, in telling people that they actually represent and can discuss things with the IRA is what NI needs. The Loyalist terrorists go about burning taxi cars, drive by shootings and punnishment beating (3 times more then the IRA since the talks broke down) but yet you dont here about the criminality of the Loyalists or DUP. Paisley has set himself up in a good position, that he cant be blamed for the criminality of the loyalist terror groups but yet rep. them in NI.

At least Sinn Fein try to keep the IRA on a lease, which is more then can be said for Paisley and Robinson.

With regards to the Northern Bank raid, i'll be honest with you, the IRA or a dissident group carried out the job. Thats my opinion, but my feelings are not a court of law, and Paul Murphy, Bertie, or Blair should'nt come out and pubblicy accuse the IRA of commiting the act if they are unable to give any facts. Its slander in the eyes of Republicans. If they showed the evidence then let us make up our minds the IRA would then be shown to have done it. Or if they cant give the evidence yet because of the investigation then bite your bleedin tounges and wait till you can.

Just to make clear, the Provisonal IRA was not resonisble for the Omagh bomdings, though they have commited their sins. People involved in the dissident IRA's are not rep. of Sinn Fein. Many people, not you specifically, think that anytime they hear IRA it means the IRA that SF rep. There is the RIRA, CIRA, INLA, so please anyone reading this make sure you have the right group when reading these stories.
Fuck all of them. Every god damned one of them. I support Irish reunification in principle, but not at the cost of innocent lives. NOTHING can justify this bullshit!

Fuck the revolution!
__________________
DaveC is online now  
Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 PM   #12
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


Fuck all of them. Every god damned one of them. I support Irish reunification in principle, but not at the cost of innocent lives. NOTHING can justify this bullshit!

Fuck the revolution!
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 02-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 02:15 PM
What's all this nonsense about the IRA returning to violence?

I don't know much about it (just saw it in Google News, and figured a U2 fansite would be good for info!)...but they couldn't do that, could they? I mean, there's no way they'd have the popular support to return to any sort of full-scale or even low-scale violence, is there?

It just seems very fishy to me, mudslinging BS, but I figured I'd ask the people at interference, since you've probably got a disproportionate amount of Irish here, lol.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Jamila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,454
Local Time: 01:15 PM
Actually, VertigoGal, if you follow the "Troubles" in NI, it has been elements of those who support the Loyalist position (or continued allegiance to the British system) like the UDF (Ulster Defense Force) and others who have been terrorizing citizens in NI for the last few years.

Plus, there have also been a string of racist attacks on foreigners living in NI over the last year done by elements of these same forces.

So while no one is claiming that in the past the IRA hasn't done things which are abhorent, to overlook the same type of violence which is occuring today from the other side is just plain hypocritical.

Again, all sides must get beyond rhetoric.
__________________
Jamila is offline  
Old 02-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,388
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Again, all sides must get beyond rhetoric.
All sides must get beyond violence.
__________________

__________________
DaveC is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com