Man Convicted in Omagh Bombing Walks Free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
DUBLIN, Ireland - The only man convicted in connection with Northern Ireland's deadliest bombing walked free from prison Friday after winning an appeal and posting bail, an outcome that disgusted survivors of the 1998 blast.

Three years ago, Colm Murphy, 52, received a 14-year sentence for allegedly supplying two cell phones to Irish Republican Army (news - web sites) dissidents who detonated a car bomb in the town of Omagh, killing 29 people and wounding more than 300.

But last week, appellate judges threw out his conviction after finding that two detectives who interrogated Murphy in 1999 rewrote their interview notes and denied doing this under oath. The trial judges who convicted Murphy had accepted accounts from other detectives, who said Murphy had confessed to supplying the phones.

On Friday, Murphy, 52, posted bail of $65,000 in cash provided by his sister and daughter. His retrial, if it happens at all, isn't expected to begin until after the two accused detectives stand trial on perjury charges.

A widower of one woman killed in Omagh, Laurence Rush, denounced Murphy from the public gallery of the Court of Criminal Appeal and appealed to the judges not to let him go.

But the judges barred journalists from reporting Rush's detailed allegations of criminality against Murphy, saying this would violate his rights pending a retrial.

Outside court, Rush — whose wife, Libbi, was crushed when the blast leveled her furniture shop — said he would never forgive Murphy and would pray for his eventual return to prison.

Murphy refused to comment as he walked free and went into a pub with friends.

Outside the pub, his daughter Leonora read a statement expressing delight with his freedom — and disgust with what happened in Omagh.

"Our hearts go out to the people of Omagh who have lost their loved ones. It was a terrible atrocity which should never have happened, but also one that destroyed my father's life," she said.

Murphy's bail conditions require him to surrender his passport and to report daily to his local police station in Dundalk, a town bordering Northern Ireland — a British territory that IRA dissidents are still trying to attack with occasional bombs.

Murphy is a veteran anti-British militant. He was convicted twice for possessing arms in 1972 and 1976, the latter after being caught following a prison escape.

In 1983, he was caught in New York trying to buy heavy machine guns from undercover FBI (news - web sites) officers and served two years of a five-year sentence before being deported to Ireland.

But as part of their acquittal ruling last week, judges ruled that the original trial judges based their conviction in part on Murphy's previous criminal record, which undermined his right to be presumed innocent unless proven guilty.

Murphy is one of five men being sued by survivors of the Omagh blast for $19 million. The civil suit, unprecedented in the history of Northern Ireland, is expected to begin later this year. Three of the four others are behind bars in the Republic of Ireland, serving sentences for other dissident IRA activities.

I think this article needs to be scrutinized by anyone interested in the situation in Northern Ireland, because it speaks a sad truth.

Throughout the history of the British in Northern Ireland, those fighting for freedom for the native Irish have been systematically and brutally repressed and destroyed, only to find new seeds of resistance growing out of the fertile soil of the Irish sense of independence. :up:

Mr. Murphy was set free because of EVIDENCE THAT HE WAS SET UP BY TWO DETECTIVES INVESTIGATING THE BOMBING! This sort of false imprisonment and persecution of those sympathetic to the republican viewpoint in Northern Ireland is nothing new - it is part of an historic effort by the British (mainly English) powers that be to keep Northern Ireland part of the Britain instead of simply giving Ireland back to the Irish (thank you, Paul McCartney) . :tsk:

So when we look at the current investigation into the robbery at the Northern Bank back in December, it behooves us to keep our minds open on the culprits of this event.

The very people who are accused today of staging this robbery may find themselves vindicated down the road - just like Mr. Murphy and the victims of Bloody Sunday.

I'm not STARING AT THE SUN....:hug:

Their lives are bigger than any big idea.

Rocio Abad Ramos (age 23)
Mary Grimes (66)
Avril Monaghan (30)
James Barker (12)
Olive Hawkes (60)
Maura Monaghan (1)
Fernando Blasco Baselga (12)
Julia Hughes (21)
Alan Radford (16)
Geraldine Breslin (43)
Brenda Logue (17)
Elizabeth Rush (57)
Deborah-Anne Cartwright (20)
Jolene Marlow (17)
Veda Short (56)
Gareth Conway (18)
Ann McCombe (48)
Philomena Skelton (49)
Breda Devine (1)
Brian McCrory (54)
Bryan White (27)
Oran Doherty (8)
Samantha McFarland (17)
Frederick White (60)
Adrian Gallagher (21)
Sean McGrath (61)
Lorraine Wilson (15)
Esther Gibson (36)
Sean McLaughlin (12)

29 people too many.

agreed, DaveC

Here is another example of a fiasco by the British "justice" system as it pertains to Northern Ireland and those who may be identified as sympathetic to the republican struggle:

PM 'to apologise to bomb accused'

Gerry Conlon is campaigning for a public apology
Tony Blair is expected to issue a public apology for the wrongful imprisonment of Gerry Conlon - one of the Guildford Four - and his father.
Five people were killed when the IRA planted a bomb in the Horse and Groom pub in Guildford in October 1974.

Mr Conlon and his late father Guiseppe were both jailed over the bombing, but their sentences were quashed in 1989.

Speaking on BBC's The Politics Show NI Secretary Paul Murphy said he thought Mr Blair would offer a public apology.

"He has already written, of course, to the family expressing his view that there was a very serious miscarriage of justice, he very much regrets that, and that he is very sorry for the hurt and suffering of the family," he said.

"I have no doubt that if asked the same in public he would make a similar public apology.

Mr Murphy said that if asked, Mr Blair would make a public apology

"There are all sorts of ways in which that can happen but I am sure he will talk to the taoiseach on Tuesday, the taoiseach will raise it and they can work it out from there."

Mr Conlon was one of four people initially detained after the Guildford attack, which claimed the lives of four soldiers and a civilian.

The four jailed had their sentences quashed after doubts over evidence. The Conlon family has received a private acknowledgement that there was a miscarriage of justice but are campaigning for it to go further.

Mr Conlon welcomed Mr Murphy's comments saying the family had been living with a "stain on its character for 30 years".

Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster on Monday he said that even after their release there had been a "whispering campaign" that they had been let out on technicalities.

"My father always thought we had been sacrificial lambs to the judiciary to take pressure off the British police who at that time, for whatever reason, were ignoring all the evidence that pointed to other people who had bombed Guildford and were attacking parts of London and my father needed his name cleared.

"I think Tony Blair should stand at the despatch box and issue a public apology hopefully til the family who will be in the Houses of Parliament when he does issue that apology," he said.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern met the family last week and has said he will raise the issue of a public apology when he meets Mr Blair on Tuesday.

The Guildford Four and the Maguire Seven were later jailed in connection with the Guildford bomb and other bombings in Woolwich, south-east London.

Mr Conlon's father Guiseppe, who had a history of bronchial problems, died in prison in 1980 while serving his sentence.

A number of MPs, church leaders, journalists and legal figures raised concerns about the convictions.

In October 1989 the Court of Appeal quashed the sentences of the Guildford Four, and in June 1991 it overturned the sentences on the Maguire Seven.

Mr Conlon's case was highlighted in the Oscar-nominated film In The Name Of The Father, starring Daniel Day-Lewis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4220901.stm

One more example how you can't trust the British legal system for the truth when it comes to the "Troubles" in NI.:ohmy:

Jamila said:
agreed, DaveC

One more example how you can't trust the British legal system for the truth when it comes to the "Troubles" in NI.:ohmy:

I hope you're not relying upon Sinn Fein or any of the Terrorist organizations they support for truth either.

No - I'm relying on God to reveal the truth.

I'm definitely relying on the British NI authorities.

I've just given you at least 3 examples (Mr. Colm Murphy, Gerry Conlon, the victims of Bloddy Sunday) in this thread where they (British authorities) have had to retract themselves and their policies toward individuals sympathetic to the republican struggle!

You can't deny the truth of the articles I just posted.

I just ask for skepticism for the "intelligence" collected by British NI authorities as so much of it turns out to be ultimately FALSE!

Is that too hard to do?

Jamila said:
No - I'm relying on God to reveal the truth.

I'm definitely relying on the British NI authorities.

I've just given you at least 3 examples (Mr. Colm Murphy, Gerry Conlon, the victims of Bloddy Sunday) in this thread where they (British authorities) have had to retract themselves and their policies toward individuals sympathetic to the republican struggle!

You can't deny the truth of the articles I just posted.

I just ask for skepticism for the "intelligence" collected by British NI authorities as so much of it turns out to be ultimately FALSE!

Is that too hard to do?

No one is denying the truth of anything of you posted.

I just hope you aren't relying on the murdering thugs (I believe you called them "freedom fighters") known as the IRA, or their equally complicit "political wing" for anything resembling the truth either.

cardiosino - didn't I just answer this same question in the post of mine that you just quoted? :scratch:

We need to get beyond rhetoric on all sides.

So Cardisino, who do you trust in NI then?

The DUP is the loyalist answer to Sinn Fein. The UUP and SDLP are near extiction!

You call the IRA muderous thugs, well i'd assume that you'd agree that the UVF, LVF, UDA and UFF are much the same but less known about. Their represenitives are the DUP, even though the DUP wont admit it.

What Sinn Fein does, in telling people that they actually represent and can discuss things with the IRA is what NI needs. The Loyalist terrorists go about burning taxi cars, drive by shootings and punnishment beating (3 times more then the IRA since the talks broke down) but yet you dont here about the criminality of the Loyalists or DUP. Paisley has set himself up in a good position, that he cant be blamed for the criminality of the loyalist terror groups but yet rep. them in NI.

At least Sinn Fein try to keep the IRA on a lease, which is more then can be said for Paisley and Robinson.

With regards to the Northern Bank raid, i'll be honest with you, the IRA or a dissident group carried out the job. Thats my opinion, but my feelings are not a court of law, and Paul Murphy, Bertie, or Blair should'nt come out and pubblicy accuse the IRA of commiting the act if they are unable to give any facts. Its slander in the eyes of Republicans. If they showed the evidence then let us make up our minds the IRA would then be shown to have done it. Or if they cant give the evidence yet because of the investigation then bite your bleedin tounges and wait till you can.

Just to make clear, the Provisonal IRA was not resonisble for the Omagh bomdings, though they have commited their sins. People involved in the dissident IRA's are not rep. of Sinn Fein. Many people, not you specifically, think that anytime they hear IRA it means the IRA that SF rep. There is the RIRA, CIRA, INLA, so please anyone reading this make sure you have the right group when reading these stories.

Last edited:
bonoman said:

I know who I DON'T trust, the IRA, Sinn Fein, Ian Paisley.......

bonoman said:
You call the IRA muderous thugs,
[/B]

You don't ?

bonoman said:
well i'd assume that you'd agree that the UVF, LVF, UDA and UFF are much the same but less known about. Their represenitives are the DUP, even though the DUP wont admit it.
[/B]

No doubt.

bonoman said:
What Sinn Fein does, in telling people that they actually represent and can discuss things with the IRA is what NI needs.
[/B]

bonoman said:
At least Sinn Fein try to keep the IRA on a lease, which is more then can be said for Paisley and Robinson.
[/B]

If Sinn Fein (or Ian Paisley) were to come clean and have the terrorists (on both sides) rounded up, maybe there might be more of a chance for a true peace. As it is, they harbor them, and are therefore complicit in whatever actions they carry out.

bonoman said:
Just to make clear, the Provisonal IRA was not resonisble for the Omagh bomdings, though they have commited their sins. People involved in the dissident IRA's are not rep. of Sinn Fein. Many people, not you specifically, think that anytime they hear IRA it means the IRA that SF rep. There is the RIRA, CIRA, INLA, so please anyone reading this make sure you have the right group when reading these stories. [/B]

To be honest, I've been in this country so long that when I hear IRA I think "retirement plan"

A friend of mine in the same industry as I am is from NI (I'm from the mildly sectarian West of Scotland where songs about the virtues of the Pope and the Queen and King Billy are learned from a very young age), when I ask him about how he came to the US, his answer was along the lines of "when you're a Catholic Chemistry techer your knowledge is in demand from the wrong people.

Once the IRA and the unionist equivalents disarm, I think real progress can be made.

Until then, let's recognize them for what they are, not "freedom fighters", but just a bunch of murderous thugs.

bonoman said:

The DUP is the loyalist answer to Sinn Fein. The UUP and SDLP are near extiction!

You call the IRA muderous thugs, well i'd assume that you'd agree that the UVF, LVF, UDA and UFF are much the same but less known about. Their represenitives are the DUP, even though the DUP wont admit it.

What Sinn Fein does, in telling people that they actually represent and can discuss things with the IRA is what NI needs. The Loyalist terrorists go about burning taxi cars, drive by shootings and punnishment beating (3 times more then the IRA since the talks broke down) but yet you dont here about the criminality of the Loyalists or DUP. Paisley has set himself up in a good position, that he cant be blamed for the criminality of the loyalist terror groups but yet rep. them in NI.

With regards to the Northern Bank raid, i'll be honest with you, the IRA or a dissident group carried out the job. Thats my opinion, but my feelings are not a court of law, and Paul Murphy, Bertie, or Blair should'nt come out and pubblicy accuse the IRA of commiting the act if they are unable to give any facts. Its slander in the eyes of Republicans. If they showed the evidence then let us make up our minds the IRA would then be shown to have done it. Or if they cant give the evidence yet because of the investigation then bite your bleedin tounges and wait till you can.

Just to make clear, the Provisonal IRA was not resonisble for the Omagh bomdings, though they have commited their sins. People involved in the dissident IRA's are not rep. of Sinn Fein. Many people, not you specifically, think that anytime they hear IRA it means the IRA that SF rep. There is the RIRA, CIRA, INLA, so please anyone reading this make sure you have the right group when reading these stories.

Fuck all of them. Every god damned one of them. I support Irish reunification in principle, but not at the cost of innocent lives. NOTHING can justify this bullshit!

Fuck the revolution!

DaveC said:

Fuck all of them. Every god damned one of them. I support Irish reunification in principle, but not at the cost of innocent lives. NOTHING can justify this bullshit!

Fuck the revolution!

:up:

What's all this nonsense about the IRA returning to violence?

I don't know much about it (just saw it in Google News, and figured a U2 fansite would be good for info!)...but they couldn't do that, could they? I mean, there's no way they'd have the popular support to return to any sort of full-scale or even low-scale violence, is there?

It just seems very fishy to me, mudslinging BS, but I figured I'd ask the people at interference, since you've probably got a disproportionate amount of Irish here, lol. ;)

Actually, VertigoGal, if you follow the "Troubles" in NI, it has been elements of those who support the Loyalist position (or continued allegiance to the British system) like the UDF (Ulster Defense Force) and others who have been terrorizing citizens in NI for the last few years.

Plus, there have also been a string of racist attacks on foreigners living in NI over the last year done by elements of these same forces.

So while no one is claiming that in the past the IRA hasn't done things which are abhorent, to overlook the same type of violence which is occuring today from the other side is just plain hypocritical.

Again, all sides must get beyond rhetoric. :yes:

agreed, DaveC - ALL sides.

There is not just one violent side.

For real peace to come to NI, ALL sides must put down their guns and remove the violence from their minds.

I'm still hoping that can be done. :up:

Jamila said:
agreed, DaveC - ALL sides.

There is not just one violent side.

For real peace to come to NI, ALL sides must put down their guns and remove the violence from their minds.

I'm still hoping that can be done. :up:

Well, they may not be blowing places up anymore, but it looks like they won't be "putting down their guns" for the meantime. Why exactly do they need weapons if they aren't going to return to violence? Is it just bartering, or what? (*stupid politicians*)

I have a question for you guys: What type of government exactly do they have in NI? Have they actually held elections recently? It just seems to me that they've been having "talks" for years now, and *somebody* has to be running the place!

The apology that I've been waiting for. My only question is: will the British government have to swallow its false pride and offer an apology to Sinn Fein one day for falsely accusing it for involvement in the robbery of the Northern Bank in December 2004?

If past British government actions toward the Republican Movement in NI are to be taken into consideration, I have a feeling that we will one day witness a retraction.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday February 9, 03:20 PM

Blair sorry for bomb jailings
By Andrew Cawthorne

LONDON (Reuters) - The government has apologised for the suffering caused to 11 people, three decades after they were wrongly jailed for detonating IRA bombs that killed seven people.

Four of them -- the so-called "Guildford Four" -- achieved international fame when their wrongful 15-year jailing was dramatised in the 1993 film "In The Name Of The Father."

"I am very sorry that they were subject to such an ordeal and such an injustice," Prime Minister Tony Blair said in a brief television statement on Wednesday.

"That's why I'm making this apology today. They deserve to be completely and publicly exonerated," he added.

Blair was speaking as some of the former prisoners, their relatives and campaigners, came to London to pressure the government for a first, high-profile apology.

The Guildford Four and Maguire Seven were blamed for the 1974 pub bombs in Guildford and Woolwich that killed a total of seven people.

Appeal courts overturned the convictions of the four in 1989, and the seven in 1991, amid allegations of falsified evidence and confessions obtained under coercion.

The bombs came at the height of the IRA's attacks on Britain. On ceasefire since the 1990s, the Catholic IRA fought a vicious, three-decade war with security forces in a conflict that cost some 3,600 lives.

"STILL SUFFERING"

Gerry Conlon, the best-known of the Guildford Four, told reporters outside parliament that the lack of a top-level apology until Wednesday had perpetuated their suffering.

"We just feel as if we have still been suffering as if we were in prison," said Conlon.

"I am hoping for some sort of closure on this," he added. "This has dominated two-thirds of my life. This happened when I was 20. I am now coming up to 51. I have had no peace from it."

Blair said he understood their suffering.

"Their loss, the loss suffered by their families, will never go away ... It serves no one for the wrong people to be convicted for such an awful crime," he said.

"I recognise the trauma the conviction caused the Conlon and Maguire families and the stigma which wrongly attaches to them to this day."

Blair, who has made a peace agreement in Northern Ireland one of the priorities of his premiership since 1997, campaigned as a young MP for the release of the Guildford Four.

A deal to seal a final political settlement has stalled after charges the IRA was behind a 26 million pounds bank robbery in the province in December and its withdrawal of a conditional offer to put its weapons beyond use.

Can you please produce the evidence that the PIRA was not involved, I am sure that there are many who would be interested in seeing it.

cardosino said:

I know who I DON'T trust, the IRA, Sinn Fein, Ian Paisley.......

You don't ?

No doubt.

If Sinn Fein (or Ian Paisley) were to come clean and have the terrorists (on both sides) rounded up, maybe there might be more of a chance for a true peace. As it is, they harbor them, and are therefore complicit in whatever actions they carry out.

To be honest, I've been in this country so long that when I hear IRA I think "retirement plan"

A friend of mine in the same industry as I am is from NI (I'm from the mildly sectarian West of Scotland where songs about the virtues of the Pope and the Queen and King Billy are learned from a very young age), when I ask him about how he came to the US, his answer was along the lines of "when you're a Catholic Chemistry techer your knowledge is in demand from the wrong people.

Once the IRA and the unionist equivalents disarm, I think real progress can be made.

Until then, let's recognize them for what they are, not "freedom fighters", but just a bunch of murderous thugs.

Hear hear. I agree with this post.

Can anyone produce ANY evidence of anyone's involvement in the Northern Bank robbery at this point?

Given the British authorities' track record of dishonesty in NI and in prosecuting the wrong people in NI - I think the question is: where is the PROOF that the PIRA was involved?

Wishing doesn't make it so, as Tony Blair had to finally admit yesterday. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom