Man Charged in Alleged Plot to Kill Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Man Charged in Alleged Plot to Kill Bush
By MATTHEW BARAKAT, AP

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (Feb. 22) - A former Virginia high school valedictorian who had been detained in Saudi Arabia as a suspected terrorist was charged Tuesday with conspiring to assassinate President Bush and with supporting the al-Qaida terrorist network.

Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, 23, a U.S. citizen, made an initial appearance Tuesday in U.S. District Court but did not enter a plea. He claimed that he was tortured while detained in Saudi Arabia since June of 2003 and offered through his lawyer to show the judge his scars.

The federal indictment said that in 2002 and 2003 Abu Ali and an unidentified co-conspirator discussed plans for Abu Ali to assassinate Bush. They discussed two scenarios, the indictment said, one in which Abu Ali "would get close enough to the president to shoot him on the street" and, alternatively, "an operation in which Abu Ali would detonate a car bomb."

According to the indictment, Abu Ali obtained a religious blessing from another unidentified co-conspirator to assassinate the president.

More than 100 supporters of Abu Ali crowded the courtroom and laughed when the charge was read aloud alleging that he conspired to assassinate Bush.

When Abu Ali asked to speak, U.S. Magistrate Liam O'Grady suggested he consult with his attorney, Ashraf Nubani.

"He was tortured," Nubani told the court. "He has the evidence on his back. He was whipped. He was handcuffed for days at a time."

When Nubani offered to show the judge his back, O'Grady said that Abu Ali might be able to enter that as evidence on Thursday at a detention hearing.

"I can assure you you will not suffer any torture or humiliation while in the (U.S.) marshals' custody," O'Grady said.

Abu Ali is charged with six counts and would face a maximum of 80 years in prison if convicted.

- - - - - - - -

A real thoughtful AOLer was there to enlighten us with his passion:

"bUY ME A GUN, I'LL DO IT. I CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY ONE SINCE THE BUSH ECONOMY. HE IS A RICH MAN'S PRESIDENT. I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE KILLS HIM AND THE ENTIRE BUSH FAMILY. THEY ALL SUCK."

Rating: 20% of 241 people liked this post.

I suppose you want Dick Cheney to take his job. :shrug:

Scarletwine said:
God no. Cheney would be far worse he's really evil. :mac:

I want him out but legitimately like impeachment :wink:

Impeach Bush. Still get Cheney. Gonna impeach them both? Go down the succession line. Doesn't get much better.

I must admit I'm kind of frightened to post in this forum. The idea of assassinating the President is so vague that I'm afraid that even if I speak in generalized terms, it could be taken as a blow against the head of state.

That aside, the current trial will decide whether he's guilty. But if the court thinks that punishing one man for a thought crime is going to make Bush more beloved before the planet, they've got to be kidding.

More than 100 supporters of Abu Ali crowded the courtroom and laughed when the charge was read aloud alleging that he conspired to assassinate Bush.

A former Virginia high school valedictorian who had been detained in Saudi Arabia as a suspected terrorist was charged Tuesday with conspiring to assassinate President Bush and with supporting the al-Qaida terrorist network.

all through the 90s I heard things like this and much worst on the Rush Limbaugh show against Bill and Hillary Clinton

But if the court thinks that punishing one man for a thought crime

Sorry to say it but you people are worse than the guy you are talking about. Use your brains!

What a bartard, if guilty as charged I hope that they lock him away for the next few decades :|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom