Malibu wildfire - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #121
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
Global warming caused arsonists to set these fires?
No, there will always be irresponsible individuals who start fires, however perhaps you need to ask yourself why these particular fires spread so fast and why these kinds of incidents seem to be happening more frequently.

I'd say it runs more along the following lines:-

'"There is growing scientific concurrence that climate change will increase areas burned, which will result in increased emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouses gases from wildfires," Ann Bartuska, a fire ecology researcher for the USDA Forest Service, testified before Congress last month.'

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/t...,7455294.story

Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

I didn't know there was one. No one I've talked to that has been evacuated knows if their houses are gone or not.

You might be able to find people on this list. https://disastersafe.redcross.org/

people can register so you know they are safe.

The fires were caused by all sorts of different things. Arson, construction, embers from other fires.

Here is a list of specific areas that are evacuated. Not including Camp Pendleton marine base which was just announced. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=5719546
Thanks, redkat. I did find again the list I mentioned. It's certainly not comprehensive but it's something:
http://www.cbs8.com/misc/fires_oct_0...destroyed.html

Old 10-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:21 PM
unofficial list of structures burned from signonsandiego...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/firema...resburned.html
Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I thought arson was suspected in only one of the fires.
you are correct

Quote:
Officials: Arson Behind Santiago Fire

Oct. 24, 2007(CBS/AP) CBS News has learned a task force of agencies, including the FBI, ATF, the Orange County Fire Authority and the California Department of Forestry will announce shortly that the massive Santiago Canyon Fire - which has caused an estimated $10 million in damage - is being officially declared an arson, and a $50,000 reward is being offered to find the arsonist.

Investigators have identified two separate "points of origin" where they believe the fire was set, CBS News has learned. FBI agents secured the scene to "maintain its integrity."

The Santiago Fire has burned about 19,200 acres east of Irvine, officials said, and it is around 30 percent contained. Six homes and eight outbuildings have been destroyed, with another eight homes and 12 outbuildings damaged. Four firefighters have been injured fighting the blaze and about 3,000 people evacuated.
It is the fire that is about 10 miles from my property and about 2 miles from the woman's home I am currently dating .
Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:21 PM
There might be something on CNN. I know they are using google maps to pin point fires.
They do have a list somewhere but I couldn't find it. My computer froze. I can only imagin the millions of people trying to find out something.
But I thought they had a scrolling video of the affected areas somewhere on CNN.

Reading the scroll bar on CNN it says there is a list of celebrities who have been evacuated at: cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/10/23/fire.entertainment/index.html
I was trying to find out if Edges canyon was on fire (no pun intended) but my computer wasn't able to load the site. no surprise there. However, I don't know the name of the canyon he lives in. A number of programs filming in Santa Clarita, including the show '24', have had to shut down shooting.

Anyway. surely they have something for the adverage citizen to locate a road or area that has been blocked off because of the fire.
If not they should. There are more important things than Hollywood, IMO
Praying for everyone and for rain.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
But I know that Democrats apologising for telling the truth is de rigeur nowadays.
Sad but true . Something weird's going on somewhere, because we're having our natural disasters as always, but they're getting to be some of the worst ones people have experienced. I wouldn't automatically dismiss someone who claims it's related to things like global warming.

As for that arsonist... . Idiot. I hope they find them and punish them properly.

Angela
Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's pouring rain up here in Seattle, I wish I could send it southward!!
Please God!!:Pray:
Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is interesting:

FBI: al-Qaeda detainee spoke of fire plot

PHOENIX (AP) — The FBI alerted law enforcement agencies last month that an al-Qaeda terrorist now in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States.
Rose Davis, a spokeswoman for the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, told The Associated Press that officials there took note of the warning but didn't see a need to act further on it.

The contents of the June 25 memo from the FBI's Denver office were reported Friday by The Arizona Republic. Davis declined to share a copy of the memo and an FBI spokeswoman in Denver didn't immediately return a telephone call.

The Republic reported that the detainee, who was not identified, said the plan involved three or four people setting wildfires using timed devices in Colorado, Montana, Utah and Wyoming that would detonate in forests and grasslands after the operatives had left the country.

The memo noted that investigators couldn't determine whether the detainee was telling the truth.

The newspaper said many forest law enforcement officers it contacted had no idea the warning had been issued.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
As much as I love snow and cold weather, I'd gladly give that over to those people if I could. It'd be a bit odd having snow and cold weather out there, yes, but if it meant no more fires...

Angela
Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
This is interesting:

PHOENIX (AP) — The FBI alerted law enforcement agencies last month that an al-Qaeda terrorist now in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States.

I have two completely different thoughts on this

1. The Reichstag fire

could be very useful

2. all the money in the world spent on homeland security
all the people put on no fly list
all the eaves dropping on phone calls is pointless

against one person driving cross country with a case of cigarettes

all one would have to do
is toss out lit cigs every 20 miles or so
and this whole country would go up in smoke - there is such a limited number of responders, especially with the National Guard over seas

they say the Roman Empire burned
it could happen again so easily
and the panic would be more than that from the Anthrax attacks
Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I have two completely different thoughts on this

1. The Reichstag fire

could be very useful

2. all the money in the world spent on homeland security
all the people put on no fly list
all the eaves dropping on phone calls is pointless

against one person driving cross country with a case of cigarettes

all one would have to do
is toss out lit cigs every 20 miles or so
and this whole country would go up in smoke - there is such a limited number of responders, especially with the National Guard over seas

they say the Roman Empire burned
it could happen again so easily
and the panic would be more than that from the Anthrax attacks

It makes sense, doesn't it? There's going to be a lot of fire spotters if this is true . . .
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosLil'Pal94
I took some pictures through my window

this one just looks like it's windy, but you can see that the neighbor's fence has been knocked down

Be safe! and take care
Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Those first two are really eerie. It's like the end of the world personified or something.

And that third one...yikes.

I have cousins who live in California...can't remember if they live in the fire area or not. I hope that we hear from them soon regardless.

Angela
Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #134
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
This is interesting:

The Republic reported that the detainee, who was not identified, said the plan involved three or four people setting wildfires using timed devices in Colorado, Montana, Utah and Wyoming that would detonate in forests and grasslands after the operatives had left the country.
Well, the West burns nearly every summer from lightning and downed power lines, so these guys would have competition. And investigators would find such devices, wouldn't they.

No, sadly, not everything bad that happens is a result of a boogeyman.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #135
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Those first two are really eerie. It's like the end of the world personified or something.
The sun has set blood red the past few evenings.