Malibu wildfire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
redkat said:
It looks like my friend probably lost his house. The firefighters backed off the area and are letting it go. :(

this is awful! sorry to hear that! :sad: only so much the firefighters can do without risking their lives. They are certainly going above beyond that's for sure. I remember them doing the same with the Cedar Fire.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

this is awful! sorry to hear that! :sad: only so much the firefighters can do without risking their lives. They are certainly going above beyond that's for sure. I remember them doing the same with the Cedar Fire.

No doubt! I've got much love for our firefighters. I think it's the usual problems of distribution. The resources are overwhelmed. Firefighters are complaining which we don't normally hear.

I called my friends house phone thinking I'd be clever and be able to tell him his house was there since the machine picked up. I called him excited to inform that his house was fine. Turns out he has vonage which will pick up regardless :banghead: he's assuming it's all gone so it won't be so painful when he is allowed back in.

CNN just reported the Buckwheat Fire is contained and another fire is about 90% contained.
This is just beyond tragic.
I can't even imagin what this would be like. We've had rain for 4 days and I've been wishing/praying for rain for California, but no lighting for Gods sake.

Be safe everyone..:heart:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
:ohmy:

get this gov. Arnie has allowed 2,300 prison inmates to help with the fighting of fires.

Low risk California inmates have been helping fight wildfires for years, right alongside actual firefighters. They are trained in conjunction with the forestry department and different county fire departments. They also do brush clearance to hep prevent the fires.

Wow, this is really awful. I know a number of people in SoCal, including a few former students. Now that I'm seeing how serious this is, I'm going to have to check to make sure they're okay.

Anybody heard from Deep or AEON lately?

AEON has referred to himself as living in Northern California, so I'd assume he's fine as well.

Thank god-glad to hear that.

sue4u2 said:
CNN just reported the Buckwheat Fire is contained and another fire is about 90% contained.

That's a bit of good news, at least. Here's hoping they manage to get the rest of the problem under control soon. I'll ditto the comments about the firefighters, I have nothing but the utmost respect for them. Such brave souls. Thanks to all who are helping to try and take care of this :up:.

Angela

Does anyone have a link to a database of addresses of houses that have been destroyed? I stumbled on it early this morning and then lost it again. I know so many people in San Diego. :( This is just horrific.

Still haven't heard on the status of my cousin's house in San Diego, but I don't think it was too close to the fires.

joyfulgirl said:
Does anyone have a link to a database of addresses of houses that have been destroyed? I stumbled on it early this morning and then lost it again. I know so many people in San Diego. :( This is just horrific.

I didn't know there was one. No one I've talked to that has been evacuated knows if their houses are gone or not.

You might be able to find people on this list. https://disastersafe.redcross.org/

people can register so you know they are safe.

The fires were caused by all sorts of different things. Arson, construction, embers from other fires.

Here is a list of specific areas that are evacuated. Not including Camp Pendleton marine base which was just announced. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5719546

:eyebrow:

Direct causality with anthropogenic carbon emissions seems very tenuous. Leaping aboard every natural disaster as some sort of proof of global warming (rather than poor planning, extreme weather that falls within expected limits etc.) is overly simplistic.

That is seperate from arguing about increased frequency of more extreme events, upsetting weather patterns and rise in global mean temperature (could you provide info on how California has been effected by climate change and how far we are pushing natural variation?).

Back
Top Bottom