Malibu wildfire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
Although I don't wish to sound like I'm making light of this subject, from a Midwestern POV, a lot of us wonder why anyone would live in So. Cal. To us, it always sounds like you're constantly one earthquake, mudslide, and forest fire away from losing everything. :huh:

I couldn't see living somewhere where there is the threat of tornados and blizzards :yikes:. The brush fires can be avoided by not living near brush, there's no danger if you're living in the middle of the city. It's the outlying edges and rural areas that get hit.

No matter where you live there is some kind of natural disaster that can get you.

elevation2u said:
my aunt and uncle called and said they had to evacuate and that it was no looking good for their house
:yikes:

:( I :pray: they are ok, as well as my fellow S.Californians...

And I agree with you ILuvLarryMullen :up:

ILuvLarryMullen said:
I couldn't see living somewhere where there is the threat of tornados and blizzards :yikes:. The brush fires can be avoided by not living near brush, there's no danger if you're living in the middle of the city. It's the outlying edges and rural areas that get hit.

At least tornadoes and blizzards (normally, if all goes well) stay within a set part of the year. There's the rare freak occurrence and such, but for the most part, you only have to put up with each one for a small part of the year and then you're relatively safe for a while. Earthquakes, fires, that stuff can happen anytime (granted, though, in the winter, most fires wind up being man-made/accidental and not so weather-related).

Course, at least you can try and put out a fire, whereas you have to pretty much wait out a tornado-there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop that thing from doing what it wants. But you have a point regardless-tornadoes aren't any more fun to deal with than a fire. They're both pretty damn frightening, and I'd like to avoid experiencing either one if I can help it.

(As for blizzards, eh, I rather like those, even though they can certainly be dangerous, too)

ILuvLarryMullen said:
No matter where you live there is some kind of natural disaster that can get you.

This is true :(. Mother Nature can be a real pain that way.

Angela

We get hit with this where my family live every now and then. Worst was in 1994 when 1 out of every 3 homes in the street were burnt to the ground (and 1 was half destroyed when it was hit point blank by a chopper dumping a few swimming pools worth of water a tad off target). It's very scary. We had an 80 foot wall of flame get literally to our backfence... and then the wind changed. Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

Just got word from my mom that my dad is coming home (he goes to SoCal and Mexico a lot, among other places, for business) b/c he can't get anywhere and his hotel is now a refugee shelter.

ILuvLarryMullen said:

Indeed. And the midwest has been one of the scariest places during the last year with flooding.

I feel for everyone in So. Cal. I remember the New Mexico fires of 2000 when I kept a bag by the door ready to evacuate on a moment's notice.

Jeannieco said:
Wow, this is so awful....

I am praying for everyone to stay safe!!

Thinking about you all and hope that the FED gov. helps Americans in need this time!!

:pray:

Me too.

But, we all know what a terrific job they did handling our last major natural disaster.:|

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's heartbreaking, and just to think about that many people evacuated

I saw this on CNN, a reporter who stood in front of his own house while it was burning to the ground and reported on it

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/10/23/sot.ca.fires.himmel.kfmb

I lived in san diego for serveral years.. from 1990-1995 and then 2002 - 2005 so I am very familiar with Larry Himmel.. How awfuly sad is that to lose your house after 25 years. I went through the Cedar Fire in 2003 and it was hell on earth..:sad:

kinda freaked out right now:sad:.. cuz I can't get ahold of my dear friend in San Diego. She lives in La Mesa... Anyone know if they had people from that are evacuated?

update: I just talked to my friend's husband in san diego and they are ok. No mandatory evacuation for them as of now but are staying with friends in Pt.Loma (on the coast). What a relief!:wink:

Last edited:
U2Fanatic4ever said:
kinda freaked out right now:sad:.. cuz I can't get ahold of my dear friend in San Diego. She lives in La Mesa... Anyone know if they had people from that are evacuated?

I don't know. From what I can find out, it doesn't look like it. It may be that phone lines, electrical lines, and/or cell phone towers are inoperable right now.

I haven't heard anything about that, either, U2Fanatic. But I've got my fingers crossed for your friend, I hope she's managed to get somewhere and is safe and sound. Hope you can manage to get a hold of her soon. If I hear anything about that area, I'll be sure to pass it on to you.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I saw this on CNN, a reporter who stood in front of his own house while it was burning to the ground and reported on it

Wow :huh:. What an awful thing to witness.

DaveC said:
It keeps getting worse. Now they think the 3 northernmost fires (around Malibu) are going to merge into one :huh:

Oh, wonderful :| (the satellite link caused, like, a zillion pages to pop up on my screen, by the way-anyone else have that problem?).

Again, everyone there is in my thoughts. Here's hoping they can get this whole thing under control and people make it out okay.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom