Malawi issues food crisis appeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was a situation that was developing this past summer when focus was given to the situation in Niger (which still exists).

The U.N., the government of malawi and international ngo's said then that this was inevitable, but the world did nothing to help Malawi before the situation reached a crisis state.

:eyebrow:

But now that the situation is critical in Malawi, the developed world will respond with a modicum of help.

It's very unfortunate for those who suffer needlessly and die from preventable causes in the developing world that the developed countries don't respond more efficiently BEFORE a situation like this becomes a crisis.

It's almost seems that these poor countries are set up to fail rather than set up to win.

Read Jeff Sachs' book "The End of Poverty".;)

Jamila said:
Read Jeff Sachs' book "The End of Poverty".;)

What else can I say than that I am sad about the situation in Malawi. More people are going to die, this would all be preventable.

As to the book, have you read it Jamila? I, for one, am very critical of Sachs since he caused so much trouble by designing and helping to implement the SAP programs that put the developing countries into more misery. Frankly, I ask myself what his intentions are. This guy has done so much harm and now media portrays him like a saviour or something. I don´t know what he says in the book and if he admits his fault?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/10/16/malawi.vicious.cycle.ap/index.html

MANKHOKWE, Malawi (AP) -- Dona Kijani dives into a crocodile-infested river for water lilies, dicing with death to pull up tubers that are barely edible and give her children diarrhea. She says it is her only source of food.

For Kijani and many of her neighbors in the dirt-poor southern tip of Malawi, water lilies have become a staple part of the diet as drought withers corn crops, worsening a malnutrition problem aggravated by poverty, corruption and AIDS.

"I have nothing else to give to my children," the widowed mother of three young children said with a grimace, holding out some of the small, bitter-tasting, gnarled roots.

Our country is so blessed,but we are a nation of greed and waste.:| The contrast between a developed country and a third world one is mind boggling to me.

I feel very :sad: and helpless at times

Back
Top Bottom