Malawi issues food crisis appeal - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-16-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:23 PM
Malawi issues food crisis appeal

[Q]Malawian President Bingu wa Mutharika has declared a national disaster over the food shortages which are threatening almost half the population. [/Q]

Old 10-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:23 PM
This was a situation that was developing this past summer when focus was given to the situation in Niger (which still exists).

The U.N., the government of malawi and international ngo's said then that this was inevitable, but the world did nothing to help Malawi before the situation reached a crisis state.

But now that the situation is critical in Malawi, the developed world will respond with a modicum of help.

It's very unfortunate for those who suffer needlessly and die from preventable causes in the developing world that the developed countries don't respond more efficiently BEFORE a situation like this becomes a crisis.

It's almost seems that these poor countries are set up to fail rather than set up to win.

Read Jeff Sachs' book "The End of Poverty".

Old 10-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Jamila
Read Jeff Sachs' book "The End of Poverty".
What else can I say than that I am sad about the situation in Malawi. More people are going to die, this would all be preventable.

As to the book, have you read it Jamila? I, for one, am very critical of Sachs since he caused so much trouble by designing and helping to implement the SAP programs that put the developing countries into more misery. Frankly, I ask myself what his intentions are. This guy has done so much harm and now media portrays him like a saviour or something. I don´t know what he says in the book and if he admits his fault?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:23 PM

MANKHOKWE, Malawi (AP) -- Dona Kijani dives into a crocodile-infested river for water lilies, dicing with death to pull up tubers that are barely edible and give her children diarrhea. She says it is her only source of food.

For Kijani and many of her neighbors in the dirt-poor southern tip of Malawi, water lilies have become a staple part of the diet as drought withers corn crops, worsening a malnutrition problem aggravated by poverty, corruption and AIDS.

"I have nothing else to give to my children," the widowed mother of three young children said with a grimace, holding out some of the small, bitter-tasting, gnarled roots.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
War Child
Local Time: 04:23 PM
Our country is so blessed,but we are a nation of greed and waste. The contrast between a developed country and a third world one is mind boggling to me.

I feel very and helpless at times
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Situations like this make me feel so damn frustrated and powerless. We have so much, and take so much for granted.