Makeup For Men

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
So is this a trend that will eventually become the norm? Is there anything "wrong" with men wearing some makeup in everyday life, not just for photos and that sort of thing? Including foundation and similar products. Check out the products in the link.

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/2007/04/10/makeup-guys-products-forbeslife-cx_ls_0411makeupmen.html

"Don't be surprised if very soon your toiletry kit contains not only shaving cream, deodorant and toothpaste, but concealer, oil-absorbing face powder and brow gel.

That's because guys are relying on an increasing number of made-for-men products like these to put their best face forward.

"I think men are much more receptive to the whole grooming concept from start to finish. Makeup is sort of the final frontier," says Wendy Lewis, a beauty consultant and author of The Beauty Battle: An Insider's Guide to Wrinkle Rescue and Cosmetic Perfection from Head to Toe. "They’re certainly concerned about camouflaging imperfections. The idea of a little light dusting of powder is no longer an extreme measure."

Experts say it's only natural that men would turn to makeup to look their best. Grooming, after all, has never been more acceptable. Last year, $4.8 million was spent on male grooming products in the U.S., a 7% increase over the year before and a whopping 42% increase from 2001, according to Euromonitor, a London-based marketing and research company."

I don't consider myself to be looking good, or even attractive.

But nevertheless, my toiletry kit will remain to be shaving cream, deodorant and toothpaste.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm all for grooming and all but i'll pass on the blush

Same here.

But let's remember this really is nothing new. There have been times and cultures where men wearing make up was part of the norm. Just wanted to remind some people before someone comes in and starts spouting off about a more feminized society.

I'm not a fan of makeup for men, but I'm not a fan of it for women either. I don't mind imperfections, in fact I often quite like them, so I prefer most people skip the makeup. Of course makeup is more about how it makes the wearer feel than anything else, so if someone -- male or female -- feels better with it, then he or she should wear it. (even if I think it looks ugly :wink: )

...ok, I do admit I have some fond memories of cute guys in eyeliner in the 80s. :reject: But you know what? The guys wearing eyeliner now aren't as cute as the guys then -- they just don't have the same panache. :shrug:

Last edited:
You haven't met me then:wink:

I've occasionally worn eyeliner, one or two gigs, odd fancy dress thing...I think i'm starting to like it:shifty:

That is as far as I have went though other than moisturiser every now and then, and of course conditioner for my hair etc

what is this deoderant of which you speak?

OLD_SPICE_M.JPG

it's better than a shower!

MrsSpringsteen said:
Is there anything "wrong" with men wearing some makeup in everyday life, not just for photos and that sort of thing?

I don't think so, unless there's something wrong with me wearing make-up every day.:uhoh:

In my social circle, a lot of guys wear makeup, everything from a touch of eyeliner and maybe concealer to full face with eyeshadow and powder. They also have their eyebrows waxed and spend more time on their hair than most women. I'm so used to it, I really don't even notice it anymore.

That said, these guys are mainly musicians, highly image conscious and don't work typical 9 to 5 jobs. I really don't see makeup becoming popular with your average Joe :wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Boys who wear eyeliner. :drool:

Well said :drool:

While I enjoy looking, I prefer guys I'm with to be make up free.
I work with so many guys who are suited and entirely too well groomed, some with the basic concealer etc. it's nice to see, but it doesn't set my pulse racing...

Manly men with a very slight touch of metro :combust:

So what would be the main reason men would object to wearing makeup-is it that anything that is so related to women is therefore "effeminate" and not masculine? I'm curious. Men are getting plastic surgery and spa treatments, etc.

I'm all for the eyebrow gel stuff, that is a pet peeve of mine when guys have really unkempt eyebrows.

MrsSpringsteen said:
So what would be the main reason men would object to wearing makeup-is it that anything that is so related to women is therefore "effeminate" and not masculine? I'm curious. Men are getting plastic surgery and spa treatments, etc.

I'm all for the eyebrow gel stuff, that is a pet peeve of mine when guys have really unkempt eyebrows.

What exactly is eyebrow gel, is that for styling your eyebrow or help removing?

I think for most men it's the fact that it's "effiminate".

For me it's the line of taking care of myself and adding or making up myself. I'm pale, I know I'm pale, I'm not going to try and change that with coloring, but I will groom and take care of myself.

Now I've worn eyeliner on stage before, not anymore. Although I was never good at holding a pencil that close to my eyes.

But I'll also go on the record as saying I usually like women who go more natural as well...

MrsSpringsteen said:

speaking as a gay man (and writing those words make me giggle, and i sometimes want to say, "as a gay man, please pass the salt"), i am quite aware of my appearance and do spend a decent amount of money on certain groooming products. i try to buy good quality, organic-y products -- soap, shampoo, etc. -- and use an exfoliant (a kind of masque, not the grainy soap stuff) twice a week. i wash, tone, and moisturize (though not in summer, causes me to break out), i put some good product in my hair, and try to make sure that my eyebrows are in aligenment and that my nose and ears are free of hair.

however, i would never wear make-up. perhaps the eyeliner thing could be cool if i were emaciated and had a skinny tie, but i'm not so i don't wear it. i'm as big a fan of Pete Wencz as anyone, believe me, it's just not for me.

i do find it somewhat feminine, and that's fine, it's just not for me. i'm attracted to the clean, clear, healthy, and masculine, and make up isn't generally harmonious with that asthetic. i can't see myself dating someone who wore make up, either. i'd find it a turn-off (mostly because i like my men as rugged as possible).

i do once in a while consider that it would make things a bit easier -- get rid of dark circles, remove the red if one has a break-out -- but it's not a road i want to go down.

a guy could wear a dress for all i care... it's just not something i choose to partake in... often :ohmy:

:hmm:

you do have that "i wish i were a Drag Queen and if one of you hands me a hairbrush i'm going to tear off my clothes, put on a dress, smear on some lipstick and sing, "and i am telling you i'm not going" and no one, but NO ONE is going to tell me i can't" aura about you.

Irvine511 said:

:hmm:

you do have that "i wish i were a Drag Queen and if one of you hands me a hairbrush i'm going to tear off my clothes, put on a dress, smear on some lipstick and sing, "and i am telling you i'm not going" and no one, but NO ONE is going to tell me i can't" aura about you.

Next gathering, I'd pay good money to see that. :combust:

Eyebrow gel is for taming eyebrows, some of it is clear and some has a bit of tint to it. I don't think any of this makeup for men is blush or eyeliner or anything like that, it's more to conceal skin imperfections. One of my biggest fears is being in public without makeup, I feel much more confident about how I look with it-so how can I fault a guy for feeling the same way, why should the gender make a difference? For me masculinity is all about what's on the inside anyway. It's about balance too, I wouldn't find it at all attractive if a guy was that obsessed with his looks and looks in general that I had to fight with him for/over makeup and mirrors and he spent countless hours going to Sephora or something. I don't find women who are obsessed with looks and their own looks to be attractive either.

Back
Top Bottom