Make your case to the undecided

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Very good post, anitram.

:up: :yes:

U2Kitten said:
As always, everywhere, all through time and all over the world, the rich get and stay that way on the backs of the poor.

It doesn't have to be this way anymore.

"It?s an amazing thing to think that ours is the first generation in history that really can end extreme poverty, the kind that means a child dies for lack of food in its belly. This should be seen as the most incredible, historic opportunity but instead it?s become a millstone around our necks. We let our own pathetic excuses about how it?s ?difficult? justify our own inaction. Let?s be honest. We have the science, the technology, and the wealth. What we don?t have is the will, and that?s not a reason that history will accept."
Bono - World Press Day May 3, 2004

http://www.worldpressfreedomday.org/

Bono's interview is filed uner "Text"

It irritates me that because of my companies "downsizing" I will now have to curtail the donations to the African Well Fund, Feed the Children and an couple of other's just to be able to afford the above mentioned overly packaged food and to afford the astronomical Cobra insurance I will have to pick up in order to have medical insurance. If I don't find something by Sept 1st that is. I hate that someone else will do without because I can't give what little I was able to donate.
Guess I'm in the "downsized poor" class now. But, it could be worse, that much I do know.

I'm sorry to hear of your job loss sue4u2. :hug: While you may not be able to help others financially right now, perhaps you could volunteer your extra time to something while you look for another position. Time is more valuable than money sometimes.

Dreadsox said:
You cannot go back in history and change the way things happened. Nor can you hold the present generation accountable for the actions of prior generations.

First sentence, right, I agree - you can?t change the way things happended. But you can be officially sorry for it. American and European delegates did not show a sign of that, when they walked out at the World Conference Against Racism in Durban. Plus, you can change the way things happen now - see above example of Nigeria and Liberia, and that?s one of many examples.

Second sentence: wrong. You can hold the present generation responsible for the actions of prior generations. This has happened just about 5 years ago, when Germany and Austria paid reparations for the crimes that happened under the leadership of Hitler. Thats not suing private persons, but states and corporations.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Second sentence: wrong. You can hold the present generation responsible for the actions of prior generations. This has happened just about 5 years ago, when Germany and Austria paid reparations for the crimes that happened under the leadership of Hitler. Thats not suing private persons, but states and corporations.

To my knowledge there are still people living from that atrocity.

I do not however feel it appropriate to hold my children accountable for European colonialism.

Dreadsox said:
I do not however feel it appropriate to hold my children accountable for European colonialism.

Neither do I, and I also think it's inappropriate to hold people in Africa accountable for the mess they're in due to colonialism.

Kerry: Bush Chooses Ideology Over Science

Mon Jun 21, 7:21 PM ET

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

DENVER - Democrat John Kerry , backed by 48 Nobel Prize winners, on Monday criticized President Bush (news - web sites) for allowing ideology rather than facts to determine science policies and repeated his pledge to overturn the ban on federal funding of research on new stem cell lines.

"We need a president who will once again embrace our tradition of looking toward the future and new discoveries with hope based on scientific facts, not fear," Kerry told hundreds who braved a cold rain to hear him speak at an outdoor amphitheater, even though he was an hour and a half late.

In a letter endorsing Kerry, 48 scientists who have won the Nobel Prize said the Bush administration is undermining the nation's future by impeding medical advances, turning away scientific talent with its immigration practices and ignoring scientific consensus on global warming and other critical issues.

"Unlike previous administrations, Republican and Democratic alike, the Bush administration has ignored unbiased scientific advice in the policy-making that is so important to our collective welfare," their letter stated.

Dr. Burton Richter, the 1976 Nobel laureate in physics, said it was unusual for such a large number of Nobel winners to endorse a particular political candidate.

article here

DrTeeth said:

I also think it's inappropriate to hold people in Africa accountable for the mess they're in due to colonialism.

:up: :up:

As for stem cells - completely and wholly disagree with GWB, but this is a relatively constant state of existence for me. I am willing to put a good bet forward that if you asked him right now to define cloning for you (without cheating or having someone do it for him), he'd be a miserable failure, as would the majority of those so set against it. Yet these are the people determining scientific policies. Total joke.

:lmao:

That's funny, they can't forecast the weather but they can forecast how people are going to vote?

That's almost as good as one I heard of last week where scientist through a series of formulas were able to come up with the funniest joke. Well the joke sucked but the fact that they wasted all that time was hilarious.

No one is going to know until November, anything can happen...just look at the last election.:|

According to the article, those guys assume that the candidates are going to run competent campaigns. This year I sure as hell wouldn't make that assumption.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...jul02,1,812048.story?coll=la-headlines-nation
THE NATION

Bush-Cheney Campaign Seeks Church Directories

The move to organize congregations is sharply criticized by some religious leaders.

From Reuters

July 2, 2004

WASHINGTON ? President Bush, seeking to mobilize religious conservatives for his reelection campaign, has asked church-going volunteers to turn over church membership directories, campaign officials said Thursday.

In a move criticized both by religious leaders and civil libertarians, the Bush-Cheney campaign has issued a guide listing about two dozen "duties" and a series of deadlines for organizing support among conservative church congregations.

A copy of the guide obtained by Reuters directed religious volunteers to send church directories to state campaign committees, identify churches that could be organized by the Bush campaign and talk to clergy about holding voter-registration drives.

The guide, distributed to campaign coordinators across the country this year, also recommends that volunteers pass out voter guides in church and use Sunday service programs for get-out-the-vote drives.

"We expect this election to be potentially as close as 2000, so every vote counts, and it's important to reach out to every single supporter of President Bush," campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

But the Rev. Richard Land, who deals with ethics and religious liberty issues for the Southern Baptist Convention, a key Bush constituency, said he was "appalled."

"First of all, I would not want my church directories being used that way," he told Reuters.

The conservative Protestant denomination, whose 16 million members strongly backed Bush in 2000, held regular drives that encouraged church-goers to "vote their values," Land said.

"But it's one thing for us to do that. It's a totally different thing for a partisan campaign to come in and try to organize a church. A lot of pastors are going to say: 'Wait a minute, bub,' " he added.

The latest effort to marshal religious support also drew fire from civil liberties activists concerned about the constitutional separation of church and state.

"Any coordination between the Bush campaign and church leaders would clearly be illegal," said activist group Americans United for Separation of Church and State

Also consider this: Bush claims the world is a safer place, yet the US report for 2003 (ahem, revised report) clearly states more terrorist attacks have occured with more victims than the year before.
(I certainly don't remember things like Madrid or Bali bombings prior to this administration taking place and 9/11)

It's also telling that Bush is probably the most controversial US president ever, or at least since Nixon.

Back
Top Bottom