Make Your Case - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2003, 04:25 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Dreadsox,

In 1999 the USA and NATO attacked and removed Serb forces from Kosovo thereby enforcing multiple UN resolutions in regards to the conflict in Kosovo. This was done without the approval of the United Nations.

Old 01-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Sting,

Yes, but that problem was within Nato's jusrisdiction right?
How many Arab countries are coming in on this operation?

I am just trying to convince myself. The book I am reading is convincing me....

The Threatening Storm

You would like it.

Old 01-29-2003, 05:28 PM   #48
us3
The Fly

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Sting,

Yes, but that problem was within Nato's jusrisdiction right?
How many Arab countries are coming in on this operation?

I am just trying to convince myself. The book I am reading is convincing me....

The Threatening Storm

You would like it.

Turkey is a nato member, and is part of the coalition... possible "justification" for Nato support.

btw halfway thru said book, but got sidetracked by The War Against The Terror Masters by Ledeen. Quick and easy read.

an aside, it seems strange the Tony Blair is getting such short-shrift w/ regard to Kosovo. If I recall he pretty much was the driving force behind the operation....
Old 01-29-2003, 06:04 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Dreadsox,

Kosovo did not fall under NATO's jurisdiction at the time. The UN had passed resolutions against Serb aggression and the unfolding humanitarian disaster it was causing. The US wanted to act with others just as it does in the current case with Iraq. The USA failed to get the UN to go along with using force but it did get NATO to go along. If NATO had not gone along, the USA then would of formed a smaller coalition of countries, as it is doing in the current case with Iraq, and acted to prevent the Serb slaughter in Kosovo.

Its true that few if any Arab countries will participate in this operation if it happens, and right now, publically, none are. Be sure to read chapter 6 ( the regional perspective) in "The Threatening Storm" by Kenneth Pollack for more on this issue.

"The Threatening Storm" is a great book with lots of information. I'm almost finished reading it.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Sting we relize that they need to prove that they havent disarmed. But i think what alot of people are saying that they dont agree with the UN resolution! Just because the UN passed it doesnt mean everyone has to agree with it.

I personally think Bush started to make his case last night but he will need more to convince others.

I am convinced that Iraq is decieving the world. But many are not. You must look at this from others points of view.

Saddam will fall by summer. And i'm glad!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I do look at this from others points of view and I have tried to explain my position. The fact is, no matter what evidence is presented, some people will never be convinced.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #52
War Child

Genuine question for you all

Its been stated many many times that the US has not been able to share its evidence because of the risk to the intelligence network, those ppl providing the info etc etc, I'm intrigued to know why now (or rather 5th Feb) can this evidence be shared? Whats changed?
Old 01-29-2003, 06:53 PM   #53
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:53 AM
IMO Bush is being pressured by citizens in the US and recent polls. 70+% want the case made against Iraq and a coalition response against Iraq. Therefore he is willing to share some data with the security counsel to make his case.

I hope this is the reason and Powell will not just be regurgitating the same points. If so I have more hope for the US and the power of the people (sorry to be corny).
Old 01-29-2003, 07:08 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:53 AM
But on the other hand, photos or films or articles can be manipulated so easily.

If the UN says they have nukes, so be it. Then they┤ll have to explain why Iraq has to be disarmed. I mean, just bc Hussein is a madman? Thats not very ... objective... pah.

Before bombing around the U.S. should ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT). If Security is so important, why don┤t the U.S. ratify it?

I know - from very reliable sources - that very probably other states would follow the U.S. example.

Without nuclear tests no development of nukes.

So whats the point w disarming (not that I┤d be against it...)?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:38 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:53 AM

I do not think that Saddam Hussein is so benevolent that he would dispose of his weapons simply because the U.S. ratifies the CTBT.

~U2Alabama
Old 01-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

HIPHOP,

"Then they┤ll have to explain why Iraq has to be disarmed"

With that statement you seem to be forgetting what has transpired the past 12 years. Saddam invaded and annexed Kuwait in 1990. The US and UN pushed Iraq out of Kuwait in 1991 and was ready to go to Baghdad if Saddam did not surrender and agree to the terms of the 1991 ceacefire agreement. In 1991, Saddam signed the ceacefire agreement and agreed to give over all WMD weapons. Saddam has used such weapons to target and kill civilians on a massive scale. The international community was in total agreement that Saddam should not have such weapons. UN inspectors spent the period from 1991-1998, before they were kicked out, attempting to make sure Iraq was disarming.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:59 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

UKTAN,

Its because the type of evidence that will be presented on February 5 does not compromise intelligence sources. Other evidence though would.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:06 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
But on the other hand, photos or films or articles can be manipulated so easily.

If the UN says they have nukes, so be it. Then they┤ll have to explain why Iraq has to be disarmed. I mean, just bc Hussein is a madman? Thats not very ... objective... pah.

Before bombing around the U.S. should ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT). If Security is so important, why don┤t the U.S. ratify it?

I know - from very reliable sources - that very probably other states would follow the U.S. example.

Without nuclear tests no development of nukes.

So whats the point w disarming (not that I┤d be against it...)?

look, for me, it's not nukes....(I don't think they have them). It's the biological agents.

why is this so hard for people to understand??? let's consider the scenario: al-queda is passed whatever biological agent from iraq, smuggles it into the u.s., and lets it free in times square.

think it won't happen if given the chance? why wouldn't it? YOU provide EVIDENCE that it WON'T.