Make Poverty History Banned in the UK - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Thanks for the reply Fizzing Whizzbees. I have to admit that I am fairly ignorant about advertsing political positions on TV. I agree that Ofcom should apply the rules to everyone and that exceptions should not be made on account of one political message seemingly being more deserving than another.

Wasn't this also the case with the BBC coverage of Live 8? There was one point where Chris Martin was speaking and the cameras cut away from what he was saying. I assume this was for the same reason.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Tilli
Wasn't this also the case with the BBC coverage of Live 8? There was one point where Chris Martin was speaking and the cameras cut away from what he was saying. I assume this was for the same reason.
I don't remember that specific incident so I could be wrong, but I don't think the BBC would have cut away because he made a political statement. There are plenty of programmes which make political statements -- Ofcom don't prohibit the making of political statements on television, they just don't permit political parties to pay for an advertising slot. There are all sorts of additional regulations which I'm not that familiar with, but I believe involve things like requiring news or current affairs programmes to offer equal time to the government and opposition, or prohibiting parties from soliciting donations on television. So, I don't think the BBC would have avoided broadcasting Chris Martin's political comments, but I guess that could have been the case. I don't know -- anyone else better informed than me?

Old 09-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I don't remember that specific incident so I could be wrong, but I don't think the BBC would have cut away because he made a political statement. There are plenty of programmes which make political statements -- Ofcom don't prohibit the making of political statements on television, they just don't permit political parties to pay for an advertising slot. There are all sorts of additional regulations which I'm not that familiar with, but I believe involve things like requiring news or current affairs programmes to offer equal time to the government and opposition, or prohibiting parties from soliciting donations on television. So, I don't think the BBC would have avoided broadcasting Chris Martin's political comments, but I guess that could have been the case. I don't know -- anyone else better informed than me?
Chris Martin made some reference to it himself before he started to speak -something like if the BBC cut away from what I am about to say then it is wrong of them.... At least I am pretty sure he did.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the explanation Fizz. I don't like the role money plays in politics, so this makes sense.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:28 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Tilli

Chris Martin made some reference to it himself before he started to speak -something like if the BBC cut away from what I am about to say then it is wrong of them.... At least I am pretty sure he did.
I just did a quick google search and found this

Quote:
Chris Martin, lead singer of Coldplay
It’s probably the most important film you will see today (introducing a film about Africa). Just watch it. And if the BBC don’t show it they aren’t doing their job properly (The BBC coverage returned to the studio)
From the Times
I'm not sure what the film in question was but I doubt it was a case of BBC censorship since anyone who watched the live coverage will remember that a lot of the broadcast (mostly the time in between performers when films and such were shown to entertain the live crowd) was taken up by the presenters in their studio providing commentary or interviewing participants. It might well have been a bad decision and was probaby based on the BBC's desire to provide an entertaining broadcast, but I don't think it would have anything to do with the regulations we've discussed in this thread regarding political advertisements.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Fizzing Whizzbees, I found this at bbc.co.uk:

"Live 8 films not shown in BBC coveragePublication date: 04 Jul 2005

Complaint
Complaints that the BBC either did not include or cut short the films shown to the audience at the Live8 concert.
The BBC's response
We did not have editorial responsibility for the Live 8 films screened during the concert.
To ensure that our coverage complied with the BBC's Editorial Guidelines, we therefore took an editorial decision not to screen the films. Instead we wished to ensure that the political messages behind the event were put into a broader context for viewers and listeners by experienced, trusted and impartial BBC faces and voices such as Andrew Marr and Michael Buerk."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/news...04/20382.shtml

Thanks for looking it up for me.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

That's interesting. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:45 AM

Despite the "levelizing," good intentions of such regulation, I'm not sure that I can fully agree with it. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the First Amendment (U.S.).

~U2Alabama
Old 09-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:45 AM
I'm sure all the children dying of hunger and disease in Africa will understand....

Afterall, we couldn't just bend our good standards of journalism a bit to save thousands of people now, could we?

Sorry, but the truth stinks sometimes.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:

If only a limited number of political views could be advertised on television you might have a point, but since the prohibition on political advertising on tv applies to all political organisations regardless of ideology it's inaccurate to claim people are "not being presented all their options." No options are presented through the medium of tv advertising but plenty are presented through current affairs programmes on both tv and radio, through reporting and commentary in newspapers and periodicals and through various campaign and publicity events held by political organisations.

good points Fizzing...thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
I'm sure all the children dying of hunger and disease in Africa will understand....

Afterall, we couldn't just bend our good standards of journalism a bit to save thousands of people now, could we?

What stinks is the fact that we've had to resort to getting a few dozen Hollywood celebs on TV for 30 seconds to basically beg the world to pay attention just to get people to even realize there's a problem, let alone care. It should never have come to this.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:12 AM   #27
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

What stinks is the fact that we've had to resort to getting a few dozen Hollywood celebs on TV for 30 seconds to basically beg the world to pay attention just to get people to even realize there's a problem, let alone care. It should never have come to this.
Now that really IS hitting the nail on the head.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

It isn't about standards of journalism though -- it's about UK law and UK law prohibits political advertising on television. I don't want my government to set a precedent of 'bending the rules' simply because I happen to agree with the organisation (MPH) in question.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:

No options are presented through the medium of tv advertising but plenty are presented through current affairs programmes on both tv and radio, through reporting and commentary in newspapers and periodicals and through various campaign and publicity events held by political organisations.
And don't forget, nothing's stopping you going to the public gallery in the House of Commons and listening to the different viewpoints on offer.

As for MPH, yes; it's shame but there are many other options open to them. Also, Live8 really did promote the MPH campaign a great deal, the white band campaign has also been a big success. Not getting a TV advertising slot isn't going to mean MPH immediately slides from public view. Though it is important that they sustain their high public profile.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I couldn't agree more.