major sections of Los Angeles without power!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
hope everyone out there is ok! they don't know what's causing it yet.

I have no idea what's going on but our UPN and local Fox stations are off the air right now.

Bono's American Wife said:
I have no idea what's going on but our UPN and local Fox stations are off the air right now.

i guess you still have power baw :wave: :hug:

they think it's a problem at two receiving stations. but they don't know what.

and police are on tacticle alert, only taking life threatening calls since they're overwhelmed with calls at the moment

oh geez! the difference between NYC and LA is you can walk home in NYC. Traffic is going to be an even bigger bitch there.

ok

I am an hour

outside of LA

who wants, oops
I mean needs an
Ipod, anybody need a digital camera?

I'm white,

when I get there I might find some of these items

"We are trying to get a handle on it," spokeswoman Kim Hughes said, adding that heat was not thought to be a factor on a relatively cool September afternoon. "We think it's a transmission problem."

Outages were reported across downtown Los Angeles, Koreatown, North Hollywood, Burbank and in the San Fernando Valley. Officials said power had not been lost at Los Angeles International Airport.

Television stations showed scenes of confusion unfolding at major traffic intersections as motorists tried to navigate through stoplights that were no longer working. Traffic from the area's freeways was reported to be jammed as stoplight outages caused backups onto the freeway exit ramps.

In the financial district of downtown Los Angeles office workers huddled in groups outside their buildings.

Many workers were stranded outside their buildings, which occurred during lunch and stalled elevators in the high-rise district.

A spokesman for the California Independent System Operator, which manages most of the state's power grid, said the outage in Los Angeles appeared to involve transmission lines within the control area operated by the city's Department of Water and Power, a big municipal utility.

they just said on cnn they think it was a construction worker who accidentally cut a line somewhere that caused the problem.

i'd hate to be him right now lol.

ABEL said:
they just said on cnn they think it was a construction worker who accidentally cut a line somewhere that caused the problem.

i think it was Bush.

(kidding! kidding!)

Fox is off the air?

How can this be a bad thing? :dance: :dance:

Sorry --I couldn't resist.

Teta040 said:
Fox is off the air?

How can this be a bad thing? :dance: :dance:

Sorry --I couldn't resist.

:laugh:

It was just the local affiliate station and it was back on in 20 minutes or so :wink:

Yes, ABEL...LAPD went on Testicle alert........

The city of Los Angeles has their own power network run through the Department of Water and Power...the remainder of us, have our own power circuit through So. CA Edison....while LA City was fucked, the rest of us watched and wrote on blue crack what was going on...

Who mentioned energy costs??? the local refineries (in LA) had to burn off their excess fuel that was apparently caught in a chasm between the cracker and the final step.,...that fuel could not be used and was burnt off.....when its burnt, it send black clouds (east) with the wind...now all of the poverty in that area was crying,,,,I can't breathe, ambulances, "breaking news", yada yada yada....all because some dumbshit cut the wrong line..........

Thank you very much. And Meddy Chreeesmas!

hmm...i wondered about this when i tried logging into myspace.com earlier this afternoon and couldn't....apparently it was affected by the power outages too.

so if any of y'all are having trouble with your myspace accounts, that explains it.

Hey folks, sorry about things being down. There was a power outage in LA which caused the problem. Don't worry, you didn't lose any of your info. Might take a bit for us to fully restore things but all is good. :)

* Image upload is down
* Status on messages is missing
* Music Search is not workin
* Some images aren't showing up
* Some profiles are temporarily shut off
* Some logins may be slow

ABEL said:

Actually, he should be fine. Even though it was clear he made a mistake - the union has stepped in to blame DWP. :scratch:

An official with the union that represents DWP workers charged that, regardless of whether lines were cut, the real cause of the outage was the DWP's decision to test the new relay system in the middle of the day, rather than at night when power loads would have been lower — but costs would have been higher because of overtime.

Link

Back
Top Bottom