Madonna delays release of controversial new video out of respect for troops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I read it in the paper this morning. Madonna has decided to delay the release of her new video, "American Life," because she feels it shows disrespect to the military at this dangerous time for them with their lives on the line. She is also afraid of how her video might be percieved and interpreted by some groups and what results might come from it. The video featured scenes of Madonna dressed in fatigues prancing on a catwalk with dancers, some transvestites, dressed in military gear. It ended with Madonna throwing a hand grenade at a smiling Bush-like character, but he caught it and used it to light a cigarette. Madonna said she is concerned about our troops and, in her own words, 'prays for them every day.' She said the video was filmed in Feb., before the war started, and is now inappropriate under the circumstances.

Last edited:
She made the 'protest' video before the war broke out, as she said. Her idea was to discourage a possible war, but now that it's here, she realizes that the way the military is portrayed in the video is inappropriate considering they are dying every day, and none of them asked to be sent there. I think it's an honorable move by her. She still opposes the war, but she has a heart for those who must fight it.

I suppose there is some truth to this.... But I smell publicity stunt. I have seen so much press about her pulling this video and saying how shocking it is. If she would have just released it, it wouldn't have gotten as much attention. And now that it's seen as something that's "banned" people will clamour to find and it will get interest going for the album...
She has pulled stunts like this before. This one at least seems to have some logic behind it. Not sure whether to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Back
Top Bottom