Mad Cow in the USA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
Its not that i'm happy this has happened but it does seem a bit ironic that when this happened to Canada in May that the US shut their doors to our meat. I want to see how they react to this case.

Should Canada open out border to a country that shuned us when we needed them? Or should we open our arms and accept that a single issolated incident of mad cow is just that. The US still hasnt fully opened their border to Canadian meat. I love the last sentance of this story:

"This is a clear indication that our surveillance and detection program is working," Veneman said. U.S. beef remains "absolutely safe to eat," she said. "We see no reason for people to alter their eating habits," she said. "I plan to serve beef for my Christmas dinner.

Well if this is the case then why were your borders shut to Canadian meat!

How Ironic!

WASHINGTON - A single Holstein on a Washington state farm has tested positive for mad cow disease, marking the disease's first suspected appearance in the United States, the Bush administration announced Tuesday as it assured Americans their food is safe.

Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman said the slaughtered cow was screened earlier this month and any diseased parts were removed before they could enter the food supply and infect humans. Fear of the disease has brought economic ruin on beef industries in Europe and Canada.

"We remain confident in the safety of our food supply," Veneman told a hastily convened news conference.

Still, some allies like Japan and South Korea (news - web sites) temporarily banned imports of U.S. beef, providing an early indication of the potential economic damage the discovery could cause.

The farm near Yakima, Wash., where the cow originated, has been quarantined as officials trace how the animal contracted the disease and where its meat went.

"Even though the risk to human health is minimal, we will take all appropriate actions out of an abundance of caution," she said.

Mad cow disease, known also as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, eats holes in the brains of cattle. It sprang up in Britain in 1986 and spread through countries in Europe and Asia, prompting massive destruction of herds and decimating the European beef industry.

A form of mad cow disease can be contracted by humans if they eat infected beef or nerve tissue, and possibly through blood transfusions. The human form of mad cow disease so far has killed 143 people in Britain and 10 elsewhere, none in the United States. Blood donors possibly at risk for the disease are banned from giving.

Wary of the potential economic impact on their American market, beef producers quickly sought Tuesday to reassure consumers that infected meat wouldn't reach their tables. "There is no risk to consumers based upon the product that came from this animal," said Terry Stokes, chief executive of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (news - web sites).

Veneman also assured Americans the screening system worked, and no foul play was suspected. "This incident is not terrorist-related," she said. "I cannot stress this point strongly enough."

President Bush (news - web sites) was briefed a few times on the development Tuesday and was confident Veneman's department handling the matter properly, the White House said.

With an election year approaching, the news concerned some in Congress. Rep. Tim Holden, D-Pa., a member of the House Agriculture Committee, said he expected lawmakers to hold hearings when they return to Washington in late January.

"We're going to look into this and see the possibility of how this happened," Holden said. "I'm sure there will be extensive oversight hearings to see what we can do to assure the American people the safety of the food chain."

Lawmakers are keenly aware that a case of mad cow disease in Canada last May ? which officials described as a single, isolated incident ? still had devastating economic consequences.

"If it's anything like what happened in Canada, it will be bad. The problem won't be that people will stop eating meat in the United States; the problem is the exports will be shut down like we did with Canada," said Rep. Collin Peterson, D-Minn.

Veneman said the Holstein, which could not move on its own, was found at a farm in Mabton, Wash., about 40 miles southeast of Yakima, and tested preliminarily positive for the brain-wasting illness on Dec. 9. Parts of the cow that would be infected ? the brain, the spinal cord and the lower part of the small intestine ? were removed before the animal went to a meat processing plant.

Samples from the cow have been sent to Britain for confirmation of the preliminary mad cow finding, Veneman said. The results will be known in three to five days. Veneman said consumers can get daily updates by reading the department's Web site or by calling 1-866-4USDACO.

Alisa Harrison, a department spokeswoman, said downer cattle that show signs of mad cow disease when they reach the slaughterhouse are tested for the illness.

But Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-N.Y., said such cows shouldn't be in the food supply in the first place. The Senate passed such a ban earlier this year, but it failed to make it through the House.

"I blame it on greed, greed, greed," Ackerman said. "The greed of the industry, the greed of the lobbyists and the greed of the members of Congress."

Veneman said the Agriculture Department has had safeguards in place since 1990 to check for mad cow disease and 20,526 cows had been tested in 2003 in the United States. An estimated 130,000 downed cattle are slaughtered each year.

"This is a clear indication that our surveillance and detection program is working," Veneman said.

U.S. beef remains "absolutely safe to eat," she said.

"We see no reason for people to alter their eating habits," she said. "I plan to serve beef for my Christmas dinner."

bonoman said:
Well if this is the case then why were your borders shut to Canadian meat!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/24/mad.cow/index.html

"With a growing list of countries banning U.S. beef imports because of mad cow disease fears, the impact on the U.S. economy could be in the billions."

"Congress considered but rejected legislation this year that would have banned the use of any "downed animal" parts for human consumption."

Our GOP government is busy blowing up third-world nations we have a vendetta against in the guise of "anti-terrorism" and going on homophobic tirades. Good job guys!

Melon

"USDA officials said that once they determine where meat cuts from the sick animal were taken, they will decide if a beef recall is warranted. Officials believe that meat went through at least two processing plants, and Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman said an investigation is under way to determine if any had reached store shelves.

However, Veneman cautioned that this does not mean the public is in danger.

'One important thing to remember is that muscle cuts of meat have almost no risk,' Veneman said, emphasizing that the disease is typically spread by consumption of brain or nerve tissue, which did not enter the food system. 'I know of no science to show that you can transmit BSE from muscle cuts of meat.'"

Do they even check their statements against their own actions? My God...Canada's cow, at least, never even made it into the food supply! And now we're making distinctions between "muscle cuts" and what? "Brain cuts"? :huh: Yes, all those kooky British; if only they had known not to eat cow brains like all those Americans...

Please. I know the Bush Administration has a long history of insulting our intellect...

Melon

Soul Always said:
Why not just be a vegetarian, and the problem's solved!!!:huh:
Let the Cows be vegatarians. The modern food for cows has meat ( slaughter garbage ect ) in it.

Cow eating Cow,......:tsk:

Ah who cares about all the what they did to us and what we did to them.......just shut the borders so the disease doesn't spread, whats the big deal

Canada is one of the only countries not to close its border so far. And they dont intend on shutting them.

Maybe the Bush Admin will remember this next time.

Also melon, BSE is only in the brain and spine of the cow. Klien (your fav. guy!) offered 1 billion to anyone that contracted BSE because it is so impossible to contract.

I'm surprised no one has said the Bush administration created Mad Cow Disease.

STING2 said:

I'm more surprised that FOX News hasn't said that Democrats said that the Bush Administration created Mad Cow Disease.

Melon

STING2 said:
actually, I think mad cow disease in the USA is another victory for the Bush administration against international terrorism

somehow

when will we finally learn that cows are not meant to eat other animals. The only way that cows become infected is from eating the brain/spinal material of an infected animal. If they just spent the extra few bucks (or if the government actually cared about our health and put some regulations on the way our food is made instead of only caring about how many campaign contributions big business beef gives them) to feed cattle grain (what a concept!) instead of dead, diseased animals we wouldn't have to worry about this kind of crap.

well bonoman... we may now know exactly why canada hasn't closed their borders... the cow likely got the disease in alberta... same as the one found in may...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Holstein infected with mad cow disease in Washington state was imported into the United States from Canada about two years ago, federal investigators tentatively concluded Saturday.

Dr. Ron DeHaven, chief veterinarian for the Agriculture Department, said Canadian officials have provided records that indicate the animal was one of a herd of 74 cattle that were shipped from Alberta, Canada, into this country at Eastport, Idaho.

Canada found a case mad cow disease in Alberta in May.

"These animals were all dairy cattle and entered the U.S. only about two or two-and-a-half years ago, so most of them are still likely alive," DeHaven said.

He emphasized that just because the sick cow was a member of that herd, it does not mean that all 74 animals are infected.

Based on the Canadian records, the cow was 6-and-a-half years old -- older than U.S. officials had thought, DeHaven said. U.S. papers on the cow said she was 4 or 4-and-half-years-old.

The age is significant because the United States and Canada have banned feed that could be the source of infection for six years.

Scientists say the incubation period for the disease in cattle is four or five years.

Since 1997, the FDA has banned giving grazing animals feed that contains brain and spinal tissue to prevent the disease from appearing.

Federal officials on Friday quarantined a herd of 400 bull calves, one of which is an offspring of the sick cow. During its life, the infected cow bore three calves.

One calf is still at the same dairy near Mabton, Washington, that was the final home of the diseased Holstein cow. That herd was quarantined earlier. Another calf is at a bull calf feeding operation in Sunnyside, Washington, and a third died shortly after being born in 2001, DeHaven said.

"There is the potential that the infected cow could pass the disease on to its calves," he said. No decision has been made on destroying the herds, he said.

Last May the United States temporarily banned beef imports from Canada after a cow there was found to be carrying the disease.

Beef exports drop 90 percent
Just days after discovering the nation's first case of mad cow disease, the United States has lost nearly all of its beef exports as more than a dozen countries stopped buying U.S. beef as insurance against potential infection.

Gregg Doud, an economist for the Denver-based National Cattlemen's Beef Association, said Friday that the United States, at today's market level, stands to lose at least $6 billion a year in exports and falling domestic prices because of the sick cow.

"We've lost roughly 90 percent of our export market just in the last three days," Doud said.

Keith Collins, the Agriculture Department's chief economist, said the market probably will not see the full economic impact of the mad cow case until trading intensifies after the holidays. He has said that 10 percent of U.S. beef is exported.

Japan, South Korea and Mexico are among the top buyers that banned American beef imports this week after the U.S. government announced it had found a cow in Washington state sick with the brain-wasting illness. An international lab in England confirmed the results Thursday.

As a safeguard, countries usually shut down meat imports from countries where the illness was found.

A U.S. delegation is leaving Saturday for Japan, which takes about one-third of all U.S. beef exports, and possibly other Asian countries that imposed bans on American meat and livestock this week. The Treasury Department said it is monitoring developments.

Mad cow disease, formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, is a public health concern because it is related to a human disease, variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob. In Britain, 143 people died of the human illness after an outbreak of mad cow in the 1980s. People can get the disease if they eat meat containing tissue from the brain and spine of an infected cow.

U.S. officials have repeatedly said the food supply is safe because the cow's brain, spinal cord, and lower part of the small intestine -- where the disease is found -- were removed before it was sent for processing.

Authorities are tracing where the meat from the animal was sent and the Agriculture Department has recalled 10,000 pounds of beef slaughtered December 9 at Vern's Moses Lake Meat Co. in Washington state. Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman said it was an extra precaution.

Last edited:
Haha...maybe the U.S. was premature in calling Reagan the "Teflon President." Blame Canada!

Regardless, I still think that diseased animals should not be allowed to be entered into the food supply. Even if the risk is supposedly low for that cow to cause mad cow disease in humans, would we like to take chances for the sake of $$? If diseased animals are fine, then I'd like to see our President and our fine, gluttonous Congressmen and women have a feast of diseased animals during one of their next celebrations.

This does have positive consequences for the American beef industry, however, because now that it can be traced to Canadian cattle, America is likely not going to be labelled a "mad cow" country, if I read correctly somewhere.

Melon

yep you're right on that one melon... the cow came from canada, so america's off the hook as far as "mad cow country" labeling goes. america's still at fault, and needs to up their testing considerably to make sure this doesn't happen again, but it does appear now that the main problem is still in alberta, canada.

That hasn't been totally determined yet. The Canadian records matching the cow from the tag (supposed to be hers) say she would be 6 years old. But the cow in question was much younger. If we had a identifying system like our friends to the north, we would know exactly.

But jusst because this cow is from Canada doesnt make it any less likely to havve contracted the disease in the US, or Canada. And the age of the cow is very important, Canadian officals want DNA testing of the cow to determine if it is from Canada.

All I know is....start looking into companies that are creating tracking devices, and software applications for this type of thing. It may very well be a good investment. Many of the stocks have had a bit of a jump today, and some are quite affordable if you have some change.

STING2 said:

I think you missed dean's statements yesterday...

I am not kidding...I saw a clip on TV....where he was asking the crowd if they were any safer....they shouted no....and he then said something about Mad Cow disease....

no kidding.

Dreadsox said:

I think you missed dean's statements yesterday...

I am not kidding...I saw a clip on TV....where he was asking the crowd if they were any safer....they shouted no....and he then said something about Mad Cow disease....

no kidding.

When you're a candidate that doesn't have a solid platform, you have to spend most of your energy degrading your opponents. Howard Dean is a miserably insecure man. He hasn't produced one logical solution to address our current problems with big government, bureaucracy and political grid-lock.

He would have been better suited introducing a SOLUTION to the mad cow issue. Instead, he likes to spew insults.

Any reputable candidate would be too busy problem solving to even worry about his or her opponent.

the cow appears to have been born prior to the restrictions on brain and spinal cord material being included in the feed mentioned previously.
this ban was implemented in 1997 simultaneously by both the united states and canada.
it is likely then that is where and when the disease was contracted.
it is possible however, that feed was used in contravention of this ban, either in canada or the u.s.

labelling either canada or the u.s. as 'mad cow country' is fruitless and wrong. this is a north american problem.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Dallas
Only about 6 1/2 hours, why do you ask?

There is a great steakhouse in Beaumont that I frequented while I was there for a stay in the military.

Craving beef....

Back
Top Bottom