Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I got into yet another college class taught by a bleeding heart liberal.

I guess I should have known, it's Ethnic Studies class. I also got a clue when she walked into class with a "Kerry/Edwards 2004" pin on her shirt. I thought teachers weren't supposed to do that? I've heard more politically correct rhetoric in this class than I've heard in years. The class isn't really about studying other ethnicities, it's more about how all of us are vicious racists who should adopt her train of thought (the right train of thought).

She tells us it's bad and offensive to say anything at all that's somewhat strereotypical. For instance, if I said "Most Mexicans like to..." or "African Americans generally..." she'd tell me to wash my mouth out with soap. She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.

As if that isn't unsreasonable enough, she's pushing other agendas on our young impressionable college minds. In our studies on racism we study people's hate for gays and lesbians. Gays. I didn't know a sexual preference was a race!!! What race are you?? Oh I'm gay. It's ridiculous and annoying how politically correct this woman is.

She's also constantly ranting about racism towards Indians. I kind of found that funny when I found out she's Indian. Oh the joys of being in a bias-free class.

I guess I was asking for it when I signed up for the class. A college professor teaching about racial issues? A guarenteed bleeding heart liberal. I just though I'd be... I don't know... LEARNING ABOUT OTHER CULTURES!!! As you can, tell political correctness grates on my nerves.

Last edited:
That is the price that you pay for doing a course with humanities in it, it is a den of PC BS so entrenched that it is beyond hope, I suggest that you transfer to Science or Engineering.

Just to warn you - don't think you'll find a whole lot of sympathy around these parts, we conservatives are in the very small minority...

But yes, this was a very frustrating part of my college career, thankfully world politics does not come up very often once you get into veterinary school! :)

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.

I know a lot of people who would have issues with a joke like that - you walk a very fine line with jokes dealing with ethnicity.

Not only is it annoying, but I'm afraid to even speak my mind sometimes (and believe me... I like to speak my mind) for fear that she'll lower my grade. I'm sure she will lower my grade too, if she doesn't like my opinions (which she doesn't). Everytime I comment on something and she doesn't agree she'll look at me like I'm a moron, then come back with some statement that makes me look like an evil white supremecist in front of the entire class.

Humm...

bonosloveslave said:

I know a lot of people who would have issues with a joke like that - you walk a very fine line with jokes dealing with ethnicity.

I believe people who get upset over jokes like that are overly sensitive. I've told that joke to plenty of Asians (heck, my girlfriend is Chinese), liberal and conservative, and they themselves tell me that anyone who gave a rat's arse about a joke like that would be completely out of line.

Last edited:

As if that isn't unsreasonable enough, she's pushing other agendas on our young impressionable college minds. In our studies on racism we study people's hate for gays and lesbians. Gays. I didn't know a sexual preference was a race!!! What race are you?? Oh I'm gay. It's ridiculous and annoying how politically correct this woman is.

It must be very hard for you as a straight male who can afford to go to college.

paxetaurora said:

It must be very hard for you as a straight male who can afford to go to college. [/B]

My point is that it's an ethnic cultures class, not a sexual preferences class. I don't want to have totally unrelated agendas pushed on me.

A_Wanderer said:
That is the price that you pay for doing a course with humanities in it, it is a den of PC BS so entrenched that it is beyond hope, I suggest that you transfer to Science or Engineering.

Having been in science for many years and working in the laboratory of a major department head and chair at the moment, I can honestly tell you I have yet to meet a science professor who was not ultra-leftist. Maybe they don't go on about it in class, but out of it, you'll find their cross section is very similar to that of Arts professors.

As for ethnic jokes - not a really big fan of them, and they most certainly have NO place in a university setting. You wanna tell one in a bar over a beer to a friend is one thing, but to a professor? Hello, common sense.

Believe me it's very hard. I am a master's student in history and it is assumed that as one I must be a liberal as 99% of the profs are. However, I would say the majority of masters and PhD students are conservative leaning so it is nice to have such a support group:wink:

I'm not quite seeing how an unrelated agenda is being "pushed" on you, being as:

1.) In a great many places, specific and unique gay cultures have, in fact, existed and continue to exist.
2.) It doesn't seem that anyone is "pushing" anything on you, beyond the fact that gay people exist and in some cases have formed their own cultures.

I mean no disrespect here, but it is very difficult to feel badly for someone who is enjoying the privilege of a college education and all the benefits that go with it, and, unless you're not telling us something, seems not to be suffering from any racial, ethnic, or sexual orientation-related discrimination. Are you not free to drop the class or to stop attending it if you feel that it offends you? Is anyone forcing you at knifepoint to stay in this class and to agree with everything the professor says?

QUOTE]Originally posted by shart1780

I don't want to have totally unrelated agendas pushed on me.
[/QUOTE]

I've seen you say this before, even on the HTDAAB threads concerning songs about "AIDS or Africa".
Is it that you are so insecure, that having ideas "pushed" on you might actually force you to change your mind?

I'm guessing that's not the case. If you are convicted in your ideas, beliefs or whatever, then why does it bother you to hear things you disagree with? Does it make you uncomfortable?

She's just an avenue for thought, if you disagree with her so vehemently, then I would just laugh at her under your breath. If you are worried about "impressionable college minds" realize that most people do have the ability to think for themselves. For every student in your class listening to her leftist spew, there is a 14 year old kid who watches Fox News and is halfway to becoming a brainwashed clone of the "right". Or kids in churches listening to old men behind podiums telling them everything they should know and not encouraging them to think at all.

The purveyors of propaganda are very good at at dishing out their own stuff, it doesn't matter where it comes from. You just have to be able to critically think. If you are a purveyor or one who uses stereotypes, then you might just be sucked in by someone's propaganda.

If you are secure in the things you believe in, then you should feel free to speak your mind, stand up and tell your professor what you think. If she's worth her salt, she might respect the fact that you disagree with her, if you can do it with tact and logic.
And you can do this if you can critically think. And if you can't, you probably should just be quiet and you might learn something.

shart1780 said:
I got into yet another college class taught by a bleeding heart liberal.

I guess I should have known, it's Ethnic Studies class. I also got a clue when she walked into class with a "Kerry/Edwards 2004" pin on her shirt. I thought teachers weren't supposed to do that? I've heard more politically correct rhetoric in this class than I've heard in years. The class isn't really about studying other ethnicities, it's more about how all of us are vicious racists who should adopt her train of thought (the right train of thought).

She tells us it's bad and offensive to say anything at all that's somewhat strereotypical. For instance, if I said "Most Mexicans like to..." or "African Americans generally..." she'd tell me to wash my mouth out with soap. She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.

She's also constantly ranting about racism towards Indians. I kind of found that funny when I found out she's Indian. Oh the joys of being in a bias-free class.

I guess I was asking for it when I signed up for the class. A college professor teaching about racial issues? A guarenteed bleeding heart liberal. I just though I'd be... I don't know... LEARNING ABOUT OTHER CULTURES!!! As you can, tell political correctness grates on my nerves.

I always thought that a large part of a college education was to learn about/from people who are different than you. That's what you are getting. If you really hate it, drop the class. I don't know this prof, and she might be irritating as hell, but from your post, I feel you don't really understand just how offensive some of your "innocent" stereotyping jokes can be to the people who are targeted. The point of this type of class if to make you think about things you don't normally think about. Honestly, what did you think you were going to do in this class -- sit around making Polish, Chinese, Mexican, or, ahem, Irish jokes? But this is clearly an elective class (isn't it?), so you are perfectly within your rights to drop it.

Generally the ban on expressing a political opinion is only in primary and secondary education, not college. You don't have to be there (as you do in the lower grades), so it isn't infringing on you so much.

And MVD, I don't know why so many people think of liberal as a bad word. I'd be horrified if I WASN'T called a liberal.

Last edited:
And if it's not an elective--if it's a required course--then surely it is taught every or every other semester, by at least a couple of other professors. Profs usually rotated cores at my college, so if you really hate the class and the prof, you could drop it and take it again from someone else.

paxetaurora said:
And if it's not an elective--if it's a required course--then surely it is taught every or every other semester, by at least a couple of other professors. Profs usually rotated cores at my college, so if you really hate the class and the prof, you could drop it and take it again from someone else.

Exactly! Now aren't you glad to came here and let us solve all your problems? :D

Actually, no.
I ve had conservative Republcans as profs. They were just as gooofy spewing forth "they don't need money being thrown at schools." and anti-Teacher's Union rhetoric.
What I found that was sickening was the PC crap prevalent coming from both sides. And don't even get me started on affirmative action.
And Cleopatra was an African
princess.....and that African Americans
"liberated" the death camps, etc.
Whoever said "higher learning" had to teach the truth? :)

Last edited:
paxetaurora said:

It must be very hard for you as a straight male who can afford to go to college. [/B]

That comment was entirely unnecessary.

shart1780 said:
She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.

I would disagree that such jokes are "harmless".

Here is a way to keep the class interesting. Your professor states that she is against stereotypes. Keep track of all the stereotypes she relies on, uses, enforces, etc. I bet you will end up with quite a few.

I butt heads with my Republican teachers all the time, but i don't get pissed about it. I enjoy the differing opinions, it keeps me and my teachers on our toes. Sometimes they open up my mind to new ideas, and vice versa. Last year my econ teacher was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as me, but we had a great time arguing and learning from each other. Take advantage of your disagreements, learn from others and teach them in return.

ugh, I would drop out if you can. I know the type you're talking about. If you say you're really there to study other ethnicities and how their cultures work, not get in a circle and hold hands, they accuse you of being insensitive and racist. I can't stand it when Profs go off on tangents completely irrelevant to the course. It doesn't mean the Prof is WRONG, but when you sign up for a course and it's YOUR money going towards the education, I think it's only fair to expect a certain level of adherence to what the course is supposed to teach.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
I butt heads with my Republican teachers all the time, but i don't get pissed about it. I enjoy the differing opinions, it keeps me and my teachers on our toes.

I took a year of Constitutional Law from Erwin Chemerinsky. You may have heard him interviewed on TV or radio following various Supreme Court decisions.

He is extremely liberal in view point. I disagreed with him on the vast majority of issues we discussed.

But, the process was the important part. My own ability to frame the argument improved because of the "hostile" environment.

I ended up with higher grades than most of my liberal classmates because I had to work harder to challenge his arguments.

nbcrusader said:

I took a year of Constitutional Law from Erwin Chemerinsky. You may have heard him interviewed on TV or radio following various Supreme Court decisions.

He is extremely liberal in view point. I disagreed with him on the vast majority of issues we discussed.

But, the process was the important part. My own ability to frame the argument improved because of the "hostile" environment.

I ended up with higher grades than most of my liberal classmates because I had to work harder to challenge his arguments.

NBC that's so cool! yeah if you surround yourself with people of the same view all the time then you find yourself facing someone with a different opinion, you aren't good at challenging them because you yourself are never challenged. being around people with diverse opinions is a good thing.

Re: Re: Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

nbcrusader said:

I would disagree that such jokes are "harmless".

:up:

Ethnic/gender/gay jokes aren't a liberal/conservative issue to me. For me, this is just about treating others with a little dignity.

SD

I grew up in very conservative rural Va. and was very grateful when I got to college and was exposed to different opinions from my professors as well as the other students who came from all over the country. We are colored by our environment and the people we are surrounded by which often creates a kind of tunnel vision. When you're 18 you may think you know what's going on but once you get out into the world away from your parents and the people you grew up with and are confronted with many different viewpoints you may find that some of your opinions over the years may change dramatically. Not always, and not necessarily, but don't be too surprised if they do. And even if your opinions don't change, you may at least be able to understand better where others are coming from and why and how they came to see things as they do. In short, welcome the differing viewpoints.

As a person that would be considered "ethnic" I find ethnic jokes quite funny. However, there is a time and place for them and the classroom is not one of them. It is one thing to say these jokes around friends and family and another to say them in US history or whatever class it is. I think U2Democrat and NBC have it righjt though. Use the teachers and professors to help form a framework for your beliefs and then you will be able to argue your side more fluently. As I see it, at the end of the day, both liberals and conservatives both live pretty much the same way anyway so no big deal if they disagree with you.

You guys are misunderstanding me. For one, I didn't tell any racial jokes in class. I know that would be stupid and I don't do it and never have. I only tell those kind of jokes to people i'm already pretty familiar with.

Also, gays aren't a race. I'm in a class about RACIAL issues. Not a class about discriminating against gays or lesbians or catholics or mormons. It just annoys me that she's trying to push a totally unrelated agenda.

And the reason I say she's trying to push this stuff on me is because she treats me like a complete moron in front of the entire class if I disagree!! If I disagree with her opinion on racial jokes, and tell them to my close friends (who are of other races and don't care) she considers that evil.

Not only that, but the entire class basically is based off of generalizations . You can't study other races and the tendencies they have without making generalizations. But when I say "Asians tend to do..." or "Alot of Hispanics like to..." she'll label me a racist.

And the worst part is that she's taching these things as fact. In her class it's a fact that it's wrong to tell those jokes (among other things we're taught of course) to anyone. If I disagree with that "fact" (which I do) my grade will go down. That's how she's pushing her beliefes on me.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
Also, gays aren't a race. I'm in a class about RACIAL issues. Not a class about discriminating against gays or lesbians or catholics or mormons. It just annoys me that she's trying to push a totally unrelated agenda.

I understand perfectly what you're saying and I sympathize. When you signed up, you probably expected to learn about different cultures and issues the struggle with. Instead, you got touchy feely sensitivity training. From the way I see, it doesn't matter what issues the Prof is trying to push, the issue is you're NOT getting the education you're paying for. I hate it when Profs do this. :down:

Back
Top Bottom