Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

I got into yet another college class taught by a bleeding heart liberal.

I guess I should have known, it's Ethnic Studies class. I also got a clue when she walked into class with a "Kerry/Edwards 2004" pin on her shirt. I thought teachers weren't supposed to do that? I've heard more politically correct rhetoric in this class than I've heard in years. The class isn't really about studying other ethnicities, it's more about how all of us are vicious racists who should adopt her train of thought (the right train of thought).

She tells us it's bad and offensive to say anything at all that's somewhat strereotypical. For instance, if I said "Most Mexicans like to..." or "African Americans generally..." she'd tell me to wash my mouth out with soap. She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.

As if that isn't unsreasonable enough, she's pushing other agendas on our young impressionable college minds. In our studies on racism we study people's hate for gays and lesbians. Gays. I didn't know a sexual preference was a race!!! What race are you?? Oh I'm gay. It's ridiculous and annoying how politically correct this woman is.

She's also constantly ranting about racism towards Indians. I kind of found that funny when I found out she's Indian. Oh the joys of being in a bias-free class.

I guess I was asking for it when I signed up for the class. A college professor teaching about racial issues? A guarenteed bleeding heart liberal. I just though I'd be... I don't know... LEARNING ABOUT OTHER CULTURES!!! As you can, tell political correctness grates on my nerves.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:32 AM
That is the price that you pay for doing a course with humanities in it, it is a den of PC BS so entrenched that it is beyond hope, I suggest that you transfer to Science or Engineering.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Just to warn you - don't think you'll find a whole lot of sympathy around these parts, we conservatives are in the very small minority...

But yes, this was a very frustrating part of my college career, thankfully world politics does not come up very often once you get into veterinary school!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Re: Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.
I know a lot of people who would have issues with a joke like that - you walk a very fine line with jokes dealing with ethnicity.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Not only is it annoying, but I'm afraid to even speak my mind sometimes (and believe me... I like to speak my mind) for fear that she'll lower my grade. I'm sure she will lower my grade too, if she doesn't like my opinions (which she doesn't). Everytime I comment on something and she doesn't agree she'll look at me like I'm a moron, then come back with some statement that makes me look like an evil white supremecist in front of the entire class.

Humm...

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

I know a lot of people who would have issues with a joke like that - you walk a very fine line with jokes dealing with ethnicity.
I believe people who get upset over jokes like that are overly sensitive. I've told that joke to plenty of Asians (heck, my girlfriend is Chinese), liberal and conservative, and they themselves tell me that anyone who gave a rat's arse about a joke like that would be completely out of line.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:

As if that isn't unsreasonable enough, she's pushing other agendas on our young impressionable college minds. In our studies on racism we study people's hate for gays and lesbians. Gays. I didn't know a sexual preference was a race!!! What race are you?? Oh I'm gay. It's ridiculous and annoying how politically correct this woman is.

It must be very hard for you as a straight male who can afford to go to college.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

It must be very hard for you as a straight male who can afford to go to college. [/B]
My point is that it's an ethnic cultures class, not a sexual preferences class. I don't want to have totally unrelated agendas pushed on me.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
That is the price that you pay for doing a course with humanities in it, it is a den of PC BS so entrenched that it is beyond hope, I suggest that you transfer to Science or Engineering.
Having been in science for many years and working in the laboratory of a major department head and chair at the moment, I can honestly tell you I have yet to meet a science professor who was not ultra-leftist. Maybe they don't go on about it in class, but out of it, you'll find their cross section is very similar to that of Arts professors.

As for ethnic jokes - not a really big fan of them, and they most certainly have NO place in a university setting. You wanna tell one in a bar over a beer to a friend is one thing, but to a professor? Hello, common sense.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Acrobat

Believe me it's very hard. I am a master's student in history and it is assumed that as one I must be a liberal as 99% of the profs are. However, I would say the majority of masters and PhD students are conservative leaning so it is nice to have such a support group
Old 10-10-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not quite seeing how an unrelated agenda is being "pushed" on you, being as:

1.) In a great many places, specific and unique gay cultures have, in fact, existed and continue to exist.
2.) It doesn't seem that anyone is "pushing" anything on you, beyond the fact that gay people exist and in some cases have formed their own cultures.

I mean no disrespect here, but it is very difficult to feel badly for someone who is enjoying the privilege of a college education and all the benefits that go with it, and, unless you're not telling us something, seems not to be suffering from any racial, ethnic, or sexual orientation-related discrimination. Are you not free to drop the class or to stop attending it if you feel that it offends you? Is anyone forcing you at knifepoint to stay in this class and to agree with everything the professor says?

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Why do people through the word Liberal around like it is a bad word? I honestly don't get it.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 02:32 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by shart1780

I don't want to have totally unrelated agendas pushed on me.
[/QUOTE]

I've seen you say this before, even on the HTDAAB threads concerning songs about "AIDS or Africa".
Is it that you are so insecure, that having ideas "pushed" on you might actually force you to change your mind?

I'm guessing that's not the case. If you are convicted in your ideas, beliefs or whatever, then why does it bother you to hear things you disagree with? Does it make you uncomfortable?

She's just an avenue for thought, if you disagree with her so vehemently, then I would just laugh at her under your breath. If you are worried about "impressionable college minds" realize that most people do have the ability to think for themselves. For every student in your class listening to her leftist spew, there is a 14 year old kid who watches Fox News and is halfway to becoming a brainwashed clone of the "right". Or kids in churches listening to old men behind podiums telling them everything they should know and not encouraging them to think at all.

The purveyors of propaganda are very good at at dishing out their own stuff, it doesn't matter where it comes from. You just have to be able to critically think. If you are a purveyor or one who uses stereotypes, then you might just be sucked in by someone's propaganda.

If you are secure in the things you believe in, then you should feel free to speak your mind, stand up and tell your professor what you think. If she's worth her salt, she might respect the fact that you disagree with her, if you can do it with tact and logic.
And you can do this if you can critically think. And if you can't, you probably should just be quiet and you might learn something.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I got into yet another college class taught by a bleeding heart liberal.

I guess I should have known, it's Ethnic Studies class. I also got a clue when she walked into class with a "Kerry/Edwards 2004" pin on her shirt. I thought teachers weren't supposed to do that? I've heard more politically correct rhetoric in this class than I've heard in years. The class isn't really about studying other ethnicities, it's more about how all of us are vicious racists who should adopt her train of thought (the right train of thought).

She tells us it's bad and offensive to say anything at all that's somewhat strereotypical. For instance, if I said "Most Mexicans like to..." or "African Americans generally..." she'd tell me to wash my mouth out with soap. She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.

She's also constantly ranting about racism towards Indians. I kind of found that funny when I found out she's Indian. Oh the joys of being in a bias-free class.

I guess I was asking for it when I signed up for the class. A college professor teaching about racial issues? A guarenteed bleeding heart liberal. I just though I'd be... I don't know... LEARNING ABOUT OTHER CULTURES!!! As you can, tell political correctness grates on my nerves.
I always thought that a large part of a college education was to learn about/from people who are different than you. That's what you are getting. If you really hate it, drop the class. I don't know this prof, and she might be irritating as hell, but from your post, I feel you don't really understand just how offensive some of your "innocent" stereotyping jokes can be to the people who are targeted. The point of this type of class if to make you think about things you don't normally think about. Honestly, what did you think you were going to do in this class -- sit around making Polish, Chinese, Mexican, or, ahem, Irish jokes? But this is clearly an elective class (isn't it?), so you are perfectly within your rights to drop it.

Generally the ban on expressing a political opinion is only in primary and secondary education, not college. You don't have to be there (as you do in the lower grades), so it isn't infringing on you so much.

And MVD, I don't know why so many people think of liberal as a bad word. I'd be horrified if I WASN'T called a liberal.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:44 PM   #14
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

And if it's not an elective--if it's a required course--then surely it is taught every or every other semester, by at least a couple of other professors. Profs usually rotated cores at my college, so if you really hate the class and the prof, you could drop it and take it again from someone else.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

If the lecture was on prejudices, I could see the topic of gays coming into it. If it is a lecture on RACISM, are gays their own RACE?