Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2004, 10:07 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
And if it's not an elective--if it's a required course--then surely it is taught every or every other semester, by at least a couple of other professors. Profs usually rotated cores at my college, so if you really hate the class and the prof, you could drop it and take it again from someone else.
Exactly! Now aren't you glad to came here and let us solve all your problems?

Old 10-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Actually, no.
I ve had conservative Republcans as profs. They were just as gooofy spewing forth "they don't need money being thrown at schools." and anti-Teacher's Union rhetoric.
What I found that was sickening was the PC crap prevalent coming from both sides. And don't even get me started on affirmative action.
And Cleopatra was an African
princess.....and that African Americans
"liberated" the death camps, etc.
Whoever said "higher learning" had to teach the truth?

Old 10-11-2004, 05:38 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

It must be very hard for you as a straight male who can afford to go to college. [/B]
That comment was entirely unnecessary.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:04 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Re: Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
She's also completely against jokes using stereotypes. You know, those completely harmless jokes like "how do Chinese parents name their baby? They drop silverwear down stairs and name em after the sound they hear". If I said that in front of her she'd have a tizzy fit.
I would disagree that such jokes are "harmless".

Here is a way to keep the class interesting. Your professor states that she is against stereotypes. Keep track of all the stereotypes she relies on, uses, enforces, etc. I bet you will end up with quite a few.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:16 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 AM
I butt heads with my Republican teachers all the time, but i don't get pissed about it. I enjoy the differing opinions, it keeps me and my teachers on our toes. Sometimes they open up my mind to new ideas, and vice versa. Last year my econ teacher was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as me, but we had a great time arguing and learning from each other. Take advantage of your disagreements, learn from others and teach them in return.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:18 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

ugh, I would drop out if you can. I know the type you're talking about. If you say you're really there to study other ethnicities and how their cultures work, not get in a circle and hold hands, they accuse you of being insensitive and racist. I can't stand it when Profs go off on tangents completely irrelevant to the course. It doesn't mean the Prof is WRONG, but when you sign up for a course and it's YOUR money going towards the education, I think it's only fair to expect a certain level of adherence to what the course is supposed to teach.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:24 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I butt heads with my Republican teachers all the time, but i don't get pissed about it. I enjoy the differing opinions, it keeps me and my teachers on our toes.
I took a year of Constitutional Law from Erwin Chemerinsky. You may have heard him interviewed on TV or radio following various Supreme Court decisions.

He is extremely liberal in view point. I disagreed with him on the vast majority of issues we discussed.

But, the process was the important part. My own ability to frame the argument improved because of the "hostile" environment.

I ended up with higher grades than most of my liberal classmates because I had to work harder to challenge his arguments.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I took a year of Constitutional Law from Erwin Chemerinsky. You may have heard him interviewed on TV or radio following various Supreme Court decisions.

He is extremely liberal in view point. I disagreed with him on the vast majority of issues we discussed.

But, the process was the important part. My own ability to frame the argument improved because of the "hostile" environment.

I ended up with higher grades than most of my liberal classmates because I had to work harder to challenge his arguments.
NBC that's so cool! yeah if you surround yourself with people of the same view all the time then you find yourself facing someone with a different opinion, you aren't good at challenging them because you yourself are never challenged. being around people with diverse opinions is a good thing.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Re: Re: Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I would disagree that such jokes are "harmless".

Ethnic/gender/gay jokes aren't a liberal/conservative issue to me. For me, this is just about treating others with a little dignity.

SD
Old 10-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:25 PM
I grew up in very conservative rural Va. and was very grateful when I got to college and was exposed to different opinions from my professors as well as the other students who came from all over the country. We are colored by our environment and the people we are surrounded by which often creates a kind of tunnel vision. When you're 18 you may think you know what's going on but once you get out into the world away from your parents and the people you grew up with and are confronted with many different viewpoints you may find that some of your opinions over the years may change dramatically. Not always, and not necessarily, but don't be too surprised if they do. And even if your opinions don't change, you may at least be able to understand better where others are coming from and why and how they came to see things as they do. In short, welcome the differing viewpoints.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #26
Acrobat

As a person that would be considered "ethnic" I find ethnic jokes quite funny. However, there is a time and place for them and the classroom is not one of them. It is one thing to say these jokes around friends and family and another to say them in US history or whatever class it is. I think U2Democrat and NBC have it righjt though. Use the teachers and professors to help form a framework for your beliefs and then you will be able to argue your side more fluently. As I see it, at the end of the day, both liberals and conservatives both live pretty much the same way anyway so no big deal if they disagree with you.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You guys are misunderstanding me. For one, I didn't tell any racial jokes in class. I know that would be stupid and I don't do it and never have. I only tell those kind of jokes to people i'm already pretty familiar with.

Also, gays aren't a race. I'm in a class about RACIAL issues. Not a class about discriminating against gays or lesbians or catholics or mormons. It just annoys me that she's trying to push a totally unrelated agenda.

And the reason I say she's trying to push this stuff on me is because she treats me like a complete moron in front of the entire class if I disagree!! If I disagree with her opinion on racial jokes, and tell them to my close friends (who are of other races and don't care) she considers that evil.

Not only that, but the entire class basically is based off of generalizations . You can't study other races and the tendencies they have without making generalizations. But when I say "Asians tend to do..." or "Alot of Hispanics like to..." she'll label me a racist.

And the worst part is that she's taching these things as fact. In her class it's a fact that it's wrong to tell those jokes (among other things we're taught of course) to anyone. If I disagree with that "fact" (which I do) my grade will go down. That's how she's pushing her beliefes on me.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Also, gays aren't a race. I'm in a class about RACIAL issues. Not a class about discriminating against gays or lesbians or catholics or mormons. It just annoys me that she's trying to push a totally unrelated agenda.
I understand perfectly what you're saying and I sympathize. When you signed up, you probably expected to learn about different cultures and issues the struggle with. Instead, you got touchy feely sensitivity training. From the way I see, it doesn't matter what issues the Prof is trying to push, the issue is you're NOT getting the education you're paying for. I hate it when Profs do this.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder how often the administration puts pressure on the profs to be extremely sensitive.

Just wondering, 'cause I don't know.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I would take a look at a University "speech code" for guidance.