looks like the jokes on W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
i'm just the messenger, don't shoot me:

from Yahoo!News:
[q]
capt.par11309251601.france_us_card_deck_par113.jpg

President of the United States George W. Bush as King of Diamonds is part of a card deck depicting 'the 52 most dangerous American officials', sold by the French group Reseau Voltaire (Voltaire Network) is seen in this hand out photo. Caption under photograph reads : 'Head of a baseball club and director of Salem bin Laden's oil company (brother of Osama). Designated President of the United States by friends of his father at the Supreme Court before the vote count showed that he lost the elections'. A little over 2, 500 decks have been sold on the internet in recent weeks. (AP Photo/Reseau Voltaire) [/q]

[q]In French Deck, Bush Is King of Diamonds
Thu Sep 25, 8:57 PM ET

PARIS - The ace of spades? Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld gets the honor in a new French deck of cards. President Bush (news - web sites) is the king of diamonds and Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) the joker. The game takes a jab at the famous deck of cards created for U.S. soldiers hunting down ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and other leaders from the deposed regime.

AP Photo

"I found it completely indecent to present a manhunt as a game," said Thierry Meyssan, the man behind the French deck. "We thought this card game would allow us to ... explain why we consider the government of George Bush a threat to international security."

Meyssan is the author of a one-time French best seller, "9-11: The Big Lie," claiming that no plane ever crashed into the Pentagon (news - web sites) on Sept. 11, and that the attacks were plotted by a faction within the U.S. military.

Now, Meyssan said in a telephone interview, he wants to expose "the 52 most dangerous American officials."

Meyssan heads the Voltaire Network, a left-wing association that put the cards on its Internet site.

A little over 2,500 decks a la francaise have been sold, at $9.20 each, on the Internet in recent weeks, Meyssan said. There are plans to sell the decks in stores soon and translate them into 10 languages, he said.

Each card carries a photo of the official and a text explaining the choice. Bush, as the king of diamonds, is described as "the president of a baseball club."
[/q]

I wonder if the French are worried that this will hurt their standing in the eyes of Americans.

We sure seem to worry what our view is in the eyes of the rest of the world.

nbcrusader said:

We sure seem to worry what our view is in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Well we should. Can you not see the danger of not caring.

Where as I find this funny and I understand his point, for I thought the deck of cards was a ridiculous idea. I wish they hadn't stooped down to this administration's level.

Wow, although i think spoofing the whole card thing is kinda funny, this guy is a whacko!

I think it's the same on both sides of the ocean, some of us are embarrassed by the actions of people in our country who malign those in France or other countries, and I'm sure the same goes for them. A small percentage make the whole look bad.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well we should. Can you not see the danger of not caring.

Where as I find this funny and I understand his point, for I thought the deck of cards was a ridiculous idea. I wish they hadn't stooped down to this administration's level.

I do see the need to care. I guess I should read more French press, but I sure hear a lot more about Americans beating themselves with the pain stick than our Eurpoean allies.

As for the deck of cards, it was designed for the military and should have stayed with the military. Turning it into a pop culture "collector item" certainly changes the tenor of the most wanted list.

Actually they started in the US as a fund raising effort for a website devoted to covering the war from a non-mainstream media perspective.

Just a few of my favorites. It's meant to be a paridy of the Iraqi (you know humor)
AxisofEvil.jpg

nbcrusader said:

As for the deck of cards, it was designed for the military and should have stayed with the military. Turning it into a pop culture "collector item" certainly changes the tenor of the most wanted list.

Seen what you can get for an original US military pack on ebay?

I just wish these ones had used that picture of Bush doing the Dr Evil pinky pose.

Back
Top Bottom