looking for Martin Luther King quote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are some quotes here from Stanford's MLK Research Institute (note not all the quotes are actually from King), and also here--I know nothing about the latter site, but at least the quotes are all sourced.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

This is a favorite
- that unites most white people.

If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.

– Martin Luther King Jr.

4 lesser known quotes that are favorites of mine:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands
in moments of comfort and convenience, but where
he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
—Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I have the audacity to believe that people everywhere can have three meals a day for their tired bodies, education and culture for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, men other-centered can build up. I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed, and non-violent redemptive goodwill will proclaim the rule of the land 'and the lion and the lamb shall lie down together and every man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree and none shall be afraid.' I still believe that we shall overcome."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

"A nation that continues to spend more money on military defense than programs of social uplift is approaching social death."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yes, Jesus, I want to be on your right or your left side, (Yes) not for any selfish reason. I want to be on your right or your left side, not in terms of some political kingdom or ambition. But I just want to be there in love and in justice and in truth and in commitment to others, so that we can make of this old world a new world. "

MLK Jr. ( from The Drum Major Instinct speech, the whole speech is great!!)

This is my favorite King quote of the moment. It's so evident everywhere today on talk radio, cable news and the internet:

"Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true."

MLK

"Our choice is not between nonviolence and violence. It is between nonviolence and non existence."

"We will learn to live together as brothers, or perish as fools"

:heart:

Back
Top Bottom