Looking for Evidence of Evolution? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2004, 01:06 AM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Proof of what? Evolution, because I can give a lot of proof that evolution happens.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

What's your e-mail address? I don't have it.

Melon
oops - oliveu2cm@yahoo.com

Old 06-30-2004, 04:28 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFirstBigW
I believe that God tells us that homosexuality is a sin, and as all sin I believe it is something which is harmful not only to those who are engaged in it but to everyone in their lives and their community as well.
You know what other group of people are harmful to everyone in their lives and community? Bigots -- like you.

Comparing the "harm" that two gay people do by falling in love with the harm that homophobes do when they wage another of their filthy campaigns against gay people, there's absolutely no comparison.

Quote:
I believe that people are doing grave harm to themselves and putting their eternal destiny in jeopardy without realizing it.
You don't know what you're talking about. What actually causes "grave harm" to gay people is having to hear yet another ignorant bigot whining about how gay people are "disgusting" and "destroying the morals of society," or having to hide their sexuality for fear of the consequences.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:41 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:30 AM
Well said, Fizz. I don't get the whole "harmful" argument, either. Nobody dies or is injured or anything by being around homosexuals, so...yeah, I just don't get it.

Angela
Old 06-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #80
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Fizz, let's not throw words like "bigots" around so carelessly. Whether you agree with TFBW or not, I believe he or she has stated his or her opinion as circumspectly and respectfully as possible.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Fizz, let's not throw words like "bigots" around so carelessly. Whether you agree with TFBW or not, I believe he or she has stated his or her opinion as circumspectly and respectfully as possible.
So it's okay for TFBW to say gay people are "harmful...to everyone in their lives and community" but it's not okay for me to say he's a bigot? With all due respect, I think you should consider how offensive those comments are to gay people. In any case, I don't see how making bigoted comments in a polite manner makes them any less bigoted.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #82
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:30 AM
I DO NOT agree with TFBW in that point (as you can read in my previous statement about sexual orientations) but i think it would have bin wiser to ask her first in which manner she thinks it's harmful.
She said "like all sins" but from my point of view there is a huge range of how harmful something is. It's a difference between killing or raping or not keeping the sabath for example.
Anyway, i'm not going in more details because i think this subject is discussed much to emotinal here and because of that rational discussion isn't feasible anymore
Old 06-30-2004, 09:43 PM   #83
The Fly

Local Time: 04:30 AM
I promised I wouldn't discuss homosexuality in this thread anymore, and I'm sad to see that it's still taking over this thread when it should have been returned back to the original topic.

As for the more general question of how sin itself can be harmful to not only the person involved in it but also those in their lives and the community, I meant in the way that we are all in one respect interconnected and part of one another as God's family, and when one member of the family suffers or engages in self-harmful behavior, the family as a whole suffers to a certain extent as well.

In other words, I guess I'm talking about that old cliche "no man is an island."
Old 06-30-2004, 09:53 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I found the proof of the de-evolution......Geroge W. Bush.
Is he the missing link or what?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:54 PM   #85
The Fly

FizzingWhizzbees:
When you placed my phrase "grave harm" in quotes, you then followed it with two other phrases in quotes: "disgusting" and "destroying the morals of society".
I'm sure you probably didn't do it on purpose, but it kind of makes it look like you're attributing those last two quotes to me as well, so I'd just like to go on the record as saying that I've never used either of those phrases.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:27 AM   #86
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
All I'm going to say is this: to what melon, A_Wanderer, and Angela Harlem said.

Angela
Old 07-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:30 PM
There is no devolution, evolution does not have a direction

/This is one of those jokes where I would say it in a totally serious manner.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:26 AM   #88
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:30 AM
A_Wanderer:
I allways thought evolution had a direction:
"Survival of the fittest" not "Survival of the best"
So people who live in a dictature and just do what they should do have higher chances to survive and prosper compared to people who try to make a revolution
Old 07-01-2004, 06:44 AM   #89
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

So it's okay for TFBW to say gay people are "harmful...to everyone in their lives and community" but it's not okay for me to say he's a bigot? With all due respect, I think you should consider how offensive those comments are to gay people. In any case, I don't see how making bigoted comments in a polite manner makes them any less bigoted.
Fizz I'm not addressing you with my response here but yours I am quoting has prompted it.

I honestly don't believe the subject of homosexuality can be discussed on this forum, and I say this with no assigningng blame or pointing fingers. Any level of being opposed to it for whatever reason is going to be offensive to some. It's just the way it is. And surely that is to be expected because sometimes we are saying that a natural part of someone is wrong, it is a sin, it is morally reprehensable etc. Who wouldn't be offended by that? I would. That's for sure.
So what about the issue of right to free speech? Here begins the thorny part and one which causes the problems. As Fizz says in not so many words, even carefully wording something and making all good intentions to be polite, can still offend.
So what do we do? It isn't even about moderating this forum really. I dont like to see it become a situation where an opinion isn't welcome. That then becomes something I dont think any of us really hope to see, but can we continue it at the cost of some being offended? That bothers me more. We see this in a few topics around here, religion being another, and when it is impossible for even the majority of this board to agree on one given thing, I think even if only a few are so deeply offended, then we have a problem and need to do what this forum wasn't intended to do, and that is silence a topic.

I dont even want to close this thread, but I am going to because it isn't constructively growing in any real direction.