looking for an explanation, please - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #16
love, blood, life
Local Time: 01:14 AM
I have my doubts that people like to live in a police state where if they utter a word of defiance they will be dragged away and tortured to death.

If you honestly believe that Iraqi's enjoyed living under Saddam and in Afghanistan living under the Taliban was a "lifestyle choice" then it illustrates why I do not adhere to that wrongheaded point of view. People deserve to be free, you can introduce liberty by fighting for it and in the end it will be worth it.

Old 09-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Re: looking for an explanation, please

Originally posted by NameOfLove19
OK, so I'm really rather puzzled that many Bush supporters view the fact that most of the world supports Kerry as a negative. Could someone illuminate me? I'm not looking for rage and flaming, I'd just like to know why people think that.
I'll take a shot at answering your question.

Generally, the US has a strong sense of independence. When acting, national interest takes precedence over obtaining consensus or permission.

Now, the two are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes the best national interest has a component of consensus building.

The value of independence may not be the same as countries in the EU or other parts of the world. This is likely influence by many factors, including geography and history. After two world wars and numerous shared borders, EU countries are more likely to work together (building consensus) because the consequences of failing to build consensus may defeat the national interest sought.

My guess is that when selecting a leader, there are many in the US who would prefer a 95% solution with no consensus instead of a 60% solution with consensus.

Kerry, in trying to distinguish himself from Bush, has said that he would place a higher value on consensus building. This may (but not necessarily) result in a lower national interest result.

Just my $.02