Looking for a career??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Retirements Seen Raising Teacher Turnovers
Sign In to E-Mail This
Printer-Friendly
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 17, 2005
Filed at 11:52 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More teachers, it seems, are ready to leave their schools behind. Forty percent of public school teachers plan to exit the profession within five years, the highest rate since at least 1990, according to a study being released Thursday.

The rate is expected to be even greater among high school teachers, half of whom plan to be out of teaching by 2010, according to the National Center for Education Information.

Retirement is the dominant factor, as the public teaching corps is aging fast, say surveys of teachers in kindergarten through grade 12.

In 1996, 24 percent of teachers were age 50 or older. By 2005, 42 percent of teachers are.

''I'm ready to do what I want to do,'' said Pat Jeppe, 59, a middle school teacher in Southaven, Miss., who plans to retire in a couple of years after teaching for the past 35. ''I finally have grandchildren and I want to be with them and go to their school functions,'' Jeppe said.

The projected turnover rate will deprive school districts of an enormous amount of teaching experience just as the U.S. pushes to get a top instructor in every class.

The proportion of teachers with at least 25 years in the classroom has more than doubled in the past 15 years, from 12 percent to 27 percent.

The teaching corps has grown older across the board because more people are moving into the field in their 30s and 40s, said Emily Feistritzer, president of the center, a private organization that specializes in survey research of school trends.

''We're going to have tremendous turnover, but I happen to think it's a tremendous opportunity rather than a hand-wringing time,'' she told The Associated Press.

''We'll have 40 percent of the teaching force replaced by mid-career switchers and people with life experience, people with altruistic motives for coming into teaching,'' Feistritzer said.

In 1990, 74 percent of teachers predicted they would still be in the classroom five years later. In the surveys, that total dropped to 66 percent in 1996 and 60 percent this year.

School districts are expanding their recruitment beyond colleges of education to other career fields, where experts in math, science and other subjects are being trained to teach.

Broadening this pool of prospective teachers will help fill the void of retiring teachers, said Michelle Rhee, president of The New Teacher Project, a nonprofit group that helps some of the largest school districts recruit teachers.

Younger people remain a big force in public teaching, with one in three teachers 39 or younger. But many of those teachers no longer think of teaching as a 30-year career.

''There is a growing realization that the mind-set is shifting, that they don't consider teaching to be a lifelong profession,'' Rhee said.

Maia Sheppard is one of those people. She worked for three years in a New York City public school, where she taught global history, wrote curriculum and helped immigrant students try to learn English and meet state standards in several other subjects.

After three years, she had enough and quit teaching.

''It was just all the time, nonstop,'' she said. ''I just didn't have time to do anything else but school.''

Now 32 and living in Minneapolis, Minn., Sheppard is pursuing a doctorate in education.

Overall, 83 percent of teachers say they are satisfied with their jobs, a level that has held steady over the last 15 years. Yet, beyond retirement, teachers say they have plenty of reasons to consider leaving: concerns over pay, dissatisfaction with school bureaucracy or plans to work in another education job, among other factors.

The survey of 1,028 public school teachers, taken in March through June, has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

yeah, i'll believe it when i see it. my university has been going on about how it's such great time to be in education, because of all the older teachers who are ready to retire. i'm waiting for this supposed mass exodus of teachers so that i can get a full-time job in the city, but it seems like people aren't budging. older teachers make really good money and it makes sense that they'd want to keep collecting those big cheques for as long as they can.

for myself, having to rely on substitute teaching and tutoring to make ends meet is frustrating and stressful. but at least i'm in the field. go to any store or restaurant around here and you'll find that many wait staff and retail employees are people with education degrees. it's quite sad really.

maybe i should just move to the states?

lmjhitman said:
maybe i should just move to the states?

Probably. Go to New York. They make a hefty teacher's salary compared to the rest of the nation.

Melon

Problem in Northern Ireland is that too many people want to become teachers, the teacher training college here St Mary's has only 98 places but 2000 odd applications...

is this not part of a larger demographic trend? lots of professions are presently facing immense deficits in knowledge and expertise as many are set to retire soon. improved financial planning, i imagine, is facilitating this to some extent.

canada's public service is in a similar spot. in my group of about 30, there are maybe 4 or 5 people under 50. there are lots of good opportunities to get sucked upward in this vacuum.

Give me a greencard, a decent salary and the possibility to teach the talented and kick out the bully, and I´ll be teaching your kids music and politics for a year or two (if it´s a gun-free school).

nbcrusader said:
If only you could have such control of the classroom....

Robin Williams could, but I guess an English/American elite school in the 60s (if that flic was playing then) is an appropriate breeding ground for future geniuses, whereas the nowaday average school is just not disciplined enough. And with discipline I don´t mean old-fashoned discipline, just staying polite and not disturbing the lessons.

One of the reasons I never got a music teacher. I always had the impression they were the assclowns of school.

lmjhitman said:
older teachers make really good money

Tell that to my mom, who has an MEd, has 25 years in the same school board, and is less than 10 years from retirement and still makes less than $50,000 a year. And she's been threatened with getting laid off repeatedly (3 or 4 times a school year) over the past 5 years.

Teachers' salaries in Canada are abhorrently low.

DaveC said:

Tell that to my mom, who has an MEd, has 25 years in the same school board, and is less than 10 years from retirement and still makes less than $50,000 a year. And she's been threatened with getting laid off repeatedly (3 or 4 times a school year) over the past 5 years.

Maybe in Nova Scotia.

My mom has the exact same credentials as yours (MEd from UofToronto). She left teaching to consult for a while (big bucks) and returned a couple of years ago. She teaches high school and earns $76K. In Ontario, senior teachers are very well paid.

Well here in the Maritimes it's insane. My mom has actually recently been offered a consulting job for a textbook publisher. She's torn, because if she takes it she'll actually have the money to do some of the things she really wants to (buy a new car, take a trip, redo the house), but at the same time, she absolutely loves teaching. It's a bit aggravating that all the provincial government talks about is keeping jobs in Nova Scotia, and then they give pennies to the School Boards, requiring them to lay off dozens of teachers each year.

One of the reasons I have moved towards administration at this stage of my career is the fact that I can negotiate my own salary. If I am not producing I will not get the salary.

I have LOVED every minute of my teaching career. I have lived a semi-simple life, with a house much smaller than the bank says I can afford. I have bought a SCION which is awesome for it's price, 34 miles to the gallon. This was my first summer in ten years I did not work, because of my surgery, but I usually run a robotics camp to teach kids to build and program autonomous robots. I save money all year to get the time off that I can to be with my family. WE are able to afford more than most. But, I want more.....:huh:

DaveC said:

wow. she'd make at least $75K in alberta, dave. which is one of the reasons i want to stick around here. but ontario is looking pretty good, now that anitram's mentioned it.

Ontario isn't bad, although if you live in the GTA, keep in mind that your cost of living will be considerably higher than elsewhere in the country.

My mom actually teaches at Queen's University part time now and she's loving that.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Robin Williams could, but I guess an English/American elite school in the 60s (if that flic was playing then) is an appropriate breeding ground for future geniuses, whereas the nowaday average school is just not disciplined enough. And with discipline I don´t mean old-fashoned discipline, just staying polite and not disturbing the lessons.

Please don't confuse movies with real life.

Back
Top Bottom