Look Good! Buy a book! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #16
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
funny ... i would never put God of Small Things on my bookshelf because i don't think it has much literary value at all.
I found it quite overrated myself, though it certainly was something new and different for Anglo-Indian fiction, and I enjoyed her portrayal of life in Kerala, surreal though it was. But yes, relative to other "major literary successes" of the last several years, it seemed like a rather half-baked mishmash of various poorly knit pomo styles. IMO.

She did get in a lot of trouble with the censors in India, ostensibly for the taboo Dalit/Vaishya romance--though I suspect the brother-sister incest, child molestation, etc. also had something to do with that.
__________________

__________________
yolland is offline  
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,492
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

I found it quite overrated myself, though it certainly was something new and different for Anglo-Indian fiction, and I enjoyed her portrayal of life in Kerala, surreal though it was. But yes, relative to other "major literary successes" of the last several years, it seemed like a rather half-baked mishmash of various poorly knit pomo styles. IMO.

She did get in a lot of trouble with the censors in India, ostensibly for the taboo Dalit/Vaishya romance--though I suspect the brother-sister incest, child molestation, etc. also had something to do with that.


i haven't read it since i took post-colonial fiction my sophomore year in college, though i do remember it paling in comparison to most of the other stuff we read -- Rushdie, Naipal, Kureishi, etc., and especially my favorite (and contraversial distinction as a post-colonial writer) Irvine Welsh.

i also feel the same way you do about the Shakespeare collection -- my grandmother used to order series of books (i.e., everything by Dickens, major works by Thackery, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, etc.) and they're all sitting in my parent's house with lovely bindings and printing dates from the early 1950s. i've demanded that my parents will them to me, i being the English major of the family.

yet, i can't imagine when i'll ever get to reading them all, or even re-reading the ones i didn't get to read in high school and college.

though i did read Moby Dick on my own initiative, though.

i was also unemployed at the time.

still, think it's an important thing to express an appreciation, or at least acknowlegement, of the importance of good literature.

and this is coming from a big old po-mo kid.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-02-2005, 11:39 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

I got a laugh out of seeing Roy's God of Small Things mentioned in there, because I just recently got around to reading that and afterwards I thought, "Well, she's a photogenic lady with props from all the right dissident luminaries, but there is no way in hell six million people read this book."
I can believe 6 million people started the book, but as far as finishing goes...

I do love V.S. Naipaul and I like Anita Desai very much too - certainly more than Roy's fiction. Roy does however, have a poetic way with words that often emerges in her non-fiction writings.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,492
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Roy does however, have a poetic way with words that often emerges in her non-fiction writings.


you mean her functionally insane non-fiction writings?

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Yes, that's exactly it, LOL. I've never heard anyone put it that way but you've nailed it. From her speeches to her writings, it always feels like she's playing with the language - some very interesting word choice and really unique diction, for example, although she doesn't actually say a lot. It's more like verbal porn. It's been a while since I've looked at her writings (interestingly in a social anthropology class years ago), but I do remember them being all style and very little substance.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 12-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,492
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Yes, that's exactly it, LOL. I've never heard anyone put it that way but you've nailed it. From her speeches to her writings, it always feels like she's playing with the language - some very interesting word choice and really unique diction, for example, although she doesn't actually say a lot. It's more like verbal porn. It's been a while since I've looked at her writings (interestingly in a social anthropology class years ago), but I do remember them being all style and very little substance.


yes, exactly.

she's very, very vivid. but crazy.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 07:06 AM
I read controversial books, too, I read "The DaVinci Code", which doesn't have alot of Catholic fans, to put it mildly.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com