long over due, take my money - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 PM
long over due, take my money

Pallbearers carry the body of Pfc. Brandon Smith, a 20-year old Marine killed on duty in Iraq, at his funeral March 26, 2004

Bill Would Boost Payment to Killed Soldiers' Survivors

All Things Considered, January 12, 2005 · A planned proposal in Congress would increase the financial compensation to families for soldiers killed in combat. Currently, the U.S. government pays a $12,000 'death gratuity,' but some lawmakers are suggesting that be upped to $100,000. NPR's David Welna reports.

link here

i have paid hundreds of thousands in taxes, these families deserve it.

Old 01-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Yes, I support this. I hope it passes.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Sounds like a huge amount of money, I don't know what else to say. Not exactly against the idea, not exactly for it either.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Sounds like a huge amount of money, I don't know what else to say. Not exactly against the idea, not exactly for it either.
You mean you don't support your troops, how un-American.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Are you always such a pain in the ass?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Are you always such a pain in the ass?
My ass feels great. So I guess not.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
That was a little uncalled for, maybe instead of a comment like that, you could provide me with some good reasons why I should support it. After all, I'm convincibly neutral.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
That was a little uncalled for, maybe instead of a comment like that, you could provide me with some good reasons why I should support it. After all, I'm convincibly neutral.
Ok maybe my wink wasn't enough to show my sarcasm. My post was a tongue in cheek response to all the conservatives who are so quick to respond to liberals who don't like what the government or the troops do by calling them un-American.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:

Ok maybe my wink wasn't enough to show my sarcasm. My post was a tongue in cheek response to all the conservatives who are so quick to respond to liberals who don't like what the government or the troops do by calling them un-American.
Maybe your wink was a cover for not having the balls to firmly say what you truely mean? I've always found it humorous when people hide behind emoticons when you know damn well they really mean what they said.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Maybe your wink was a cover for not having the balls to firmly say what you truely mean? I've always found it humorous when people hide behind emoticons when you know damn well they really mean what they said.
No I say what I mean. I don't use emoticons lightly, I use them for their purpose.

But thanks for accusing me that I have no balls. (see that one was used to show you that I'm not really thanking you)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Oh you have to be kidding.

Of course you haven't said what you believe either. And you're not even funny. Not funny and ball-less. Great combo!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Yes, I noticed the sarcasm, and don't remember a single instance when I referred to you as un-American. Now if we can get back on topic, that would be great.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
$100,000 in a war costing BILLIONS doesn't sound like a huge number to me at all. I think we as a nation should be willing to give more to the families of the people who make that ultimate sacrifice. It's not exactly going to break the bank either.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:23 PM
100,000 dollars is a lot of money - but not nearly enough to compensate for somebody who lays down their life to uphold the principles of their nation. 150 million or thereabouts would be the total payouts for the KIA in Iraq - that is a fraction of the money gets wasted on welfare in most first world countries (I consider the shitloads poured into inneficient indigenous poverty cycles and the ammount that goes to dole bludgers to be wasted money)

In regards to the billions of dollars for the war arguments, the actual cost of maintaining an inactive millitary and active millitary are not that great - the net cost of the Iraq war is not altogether massive for an operation of such scale especially when compared with the operational costs in maintaining that millitary when its not conducting operations.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

In regards to the billions of dollars for the war arguments, the actual cost of maintaining an inactive millitary and active millitary are not that great - the net cost of the Iraq war is not altogether massive for an operation of such scale especially when compared with the operational costs in maintaining that millitary when its not conducting operations.
I think that might be what Bushie (or probably more accurately Rummie and Dickie) thinks..."Hey, we've got this thing (military), and it's costing us so much in upkeep anyway, so what the hell, lets attack someone!"