London Protests!!!! General Discussion Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:50 PM
London Protests!!!! General Discussion Thread

Thoughts?

----16,000 British Police officers on duty to "protect" Dubya from the angry masses. It will cost the British taxpayers over 7 million pounds, or 15 million dollars to protect the man they hate.

----250 Secret Service Agents with loaded arms "protecting" Dubya from adroit, angry masses.

----Cell phone user will lack service throughout the week due to fear of bombs being detonated through air waves.

----Officials are expecting over 100,000 people to protest in favor of an end to the War in Iraq.

----The mayor of London was quoted as saying yesterday that Bush posed "the greatest threat to life on the planet".

Here's my opinion in a nutshell (a la Jeff Foxworthy):

If you need 16,000-plus armed police officers (i.e. soldiers), plus another 250 top-notch bodyguards to protect you, you're probably a George W. Bush.

Old 11-18-2003, 12:18 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Re: London Protests!!!! General Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
Thoughts?

----Cell phone user will lack service throughout the week due to fear of bombs being detonated through air waves.
I'd make sure Bush would ensure me "carry over" minutes for that week...

Old 11-18-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Thoughts...

- I'm mad as hell that I'm working on Thursday and this will be the first national anti-war demo I've missed since the protests over Iraq started.

- I can't believe Bush had the audacity to demand that his security team be granted immunity from prosecution should they injure or kill a person whilst in the UK. I'm glad that for once the British government had the guts to stand up against this.

- Go Ken!

- 5m is the figure I've heard for policing this. How about we spend that on building five new schools or hiring a few thousand new doctors?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Thoughts...

- I can't believe Bush had the audacity to demand that his security team be granted immunity from prosecution should they injure or kill a person whilst in the UK. I'm glad that for once the British government had the guts to stand up against this.

Is this true?!
Old 11-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

This was the article which I read on the subject, from a newspaper this Sunday: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...086397,00.html
Old 11-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Just too many Dubya jokes flying around at the mo. Have to share one...

Quote:
George Bush met The Queen, and he turns round and says: "As I'm the President, I'm thinking of changing how my country is referred to, and I'm thinking that it should be a Kingdom"

The Queen replies "I'm sorry Mr Bush, but to be a Kingdom, you have to have a King in charge - and you're not a King."

George Bush thought a while and then said: "How about a Principality then?",

To which the Queen replied "Again, to be a Principality you have to be a Prince - and you're not a Prince ".

Bush thought long and hard and came up with "How about an Empire then?"

The Queen, getting a little annoyed by now, replies " Look Bush, to be an Empire you must have an Emperor in charge - and you are not an Emperor."

Before George Bush could utter another word, The Queen said: "I think you're doing quite nicely as a Country".
Old 11-18-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 12:50 AM
I'm very glad that the protestors have finally been given the go-ahead to march through Whitehall. It was infringement of civil liberties to even suggest that people did not have the right to be making a peaceful protest in their own country.

It also disturbs me that half of the entire metropolitan police force will be used to police this farce - it stands to reason that criminals are going to think 'Bonus!!' and go out robbing people, knowing that the police are going to be elsewhere.

this sucks big time. I just wish I could be in London to protest.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Just too many Dubya jokes flying around at the mo. Have to share one...

that's fab
Old 11-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #9
New Yorker

"Meanwhile, Bush comes to the same country that turned out in droves to welcome Bill Clinton, when he walked through the centre of London with a smile and a wave and not a combat vehicle in sight. "

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/colum...086839,00.html

LOL
Old 11-18-2003, 05:48 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This was the article which I read on the subject, from a newspaper this Sunday: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...086397,00.html
If this is true...damn this enrages me.

Edited to remove angry language. I just don't know what to say.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Did you know there's a protest in Market Square in Nottingham tomorrow, bammo? If I didn't have class, I'd go.

I had to read that joke three times to get it.

My mobile reception has been shit lately. I blame it on Bush.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:33 PM   #12
War Child

Protesting is a good thing.

However, I heard they're toppling a Dubwa statue ala the US toppling the Saddam statue in April.

Personally, that makes me sick to my stomach. Is Bush as bad as Saddam? I don't think so. Let's keep it real people.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:35 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

So the leader of the USA comes to the UK and 100,000 people feel they have to protest that. I'm not really sure what the protestors feel will be really productive about this current protest, but if they stayed home or did something else, there would be no need for all the extra money being spent on Security. Its silly that Bush will not be doing a number of things US leaders do because certain people feel they have the right to disrupt those events. I guess its to much to ask that the elected leader of the USA visit the UK to discuss a wide number of issues and not have to deal with this level of protest. Oh how evil it is to sit down and talk about important global issues effecting both countries.

But hey, its a democracy, so get out there and do as you please so long as you don't violate other peoples rights. But its unwise to Bitch about the level of security because it wouldn't be needed, if people did something else this week rather than topple or burn a Bush statue. And to those involved with toppling the Bush statue or figure, "Saddam is out of power in Iraq and he is not coming back." Sorry "if" that bothers anyone.

The Latest Poll in the UK shows that 43% of people there welcome Bush's visit to the UK, while 36% oppose.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #14
New Yorker

Yes , the 43% want him to come so they can show him the protest LOL

Fizz - call in sick!

edited to say

He's also going to meet with dead UK soldiers families. Something he's not had the respect to do here in the US and it's starting to get a lot of attention wit Veterans groups. - Wanker.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:52 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Those who will be protesting Bush actually represent a tiny fraction of the UK. Most US Military personal, Veterans, and Military families support George Bush and plan to re-elect him as their president.