London Bombings: Who, Where and How

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Probably a wise move to consolidate the particulars into a seperate thread as the nature of the main thread has shifted and expanded.

In this thread post on what happened; pictures that one would not like to be posting on a grief thread, information that is outside the context of that and whatnot.

If that was the post in the other thread about Heathrow then that is ideal for this one, but I just posted as well in the other thread, which has changed as more info has come out. I think that seperate threads is the ideal option.

From SkyNews
At least 45 people are reported to have been killed and 1,000 injured in a series of co-ordinated terror attacks on London.

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt said the figures, which could rise, were from a reliable source.

He also reported that it is understood that seven were killed in the bus blast in Tavistock Square.

A previously unknown group calling itself “Secret Organisation al Qaeda in Europe” said it carried out the attacks as revenge for British “military massacres” in Iraq and Afghanistan.
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1188265,00.html

The offending message is here
"It is time of revenge against the crusader and Zionist British government has come in response to the massacres committed by Iraq and Afghanistan,"

"The mujahedeen heroes have launched a blessed attack in London,"

"Here is Britain burning now out of fear and horror in its north, south east and west. We have often and repeatedly warned the British government and people."

"We still warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the crusader governments that they will receive the same punishment if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan we gave the warning, so we should not be blamed."
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/explosions.claim/

Al Qaeda in Europe popped up in a statement in April by one Omar Bakri
LISBON (Reuters) - Several Islamic militant groups are preparing attacks on London, making such a strike unavoidable, a radical Muslim cleric said in an interview with a Portuguese magazine.

"It's inevitable. Because several (attacks) are being prepared by several groups," Sheikh Omar Bakri Muhammad told Lisbon's Publica magazine from London, where he is based.

One "very well organised" group in London calling itself al Qaeda Europe "has a great appeal for young Muslims", he said. "I know that they are ready to launch a big operation."

London police said they were not prepared to discuss the claims, but the country's most senior police officer, Sir John Stevens, has previously said that an attack on the capital was inevitable.

The firebrand cleric, who has outraged moderate Muslims and non-Muslims alike with his uncompromising views, gave no further details.

Asked if a British Muslim was allowed to carry out a "terrorist attempt" in a foreign country, Muhammad said "That is another story."

He added: "We don't make a distinction between civilians and non-civilians, innocents and non-innocents. Only between Muslims and unbelievers. And the life of an unbeliever has no value. It has no sanctity."
http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/001611.php

A British defense expert says Thursday's bombings in London were executed by at least 24 people and designed to mirror bombings last year in Madrid.

While the city was still reeling from five subway blasts and three aboard buses, Michael Clarke, director of the Center for Defense Studies at King's College London, told The Guardian the attacks had obviously been well-planned.

The fact that London was hit when the resources of the security forces were focused on the Group of Eight summit in Scotland indicated some clever thinking by terrorists, he said.

He also noted the similarities to the attacks on Madrid commuter trains last March 11.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/upi/20050707-073205-7456r.htm

Timeline of events
8:51 Moorgate / Liverpool street explosion, 100 yards into tunnel from Liverpool Street. Seven confirmed fatalities

8:56 Kings Cross / Russell Square: 21 confirmed fatalities

9:17 explosion on train arriving at Edgware Road; three trains involved, 5 confirmed fatalities

9:47 explosion on bus at Upper Woburn Square; number of fatalities unconfirmed

12:02 - Blair - "It's reasonably clear that there has been a series of terrorist attacks in London. It is my intention to leave the G8 to talk to police and emergency services personnel face to face... The G8 leaders will continue in my absence... Each of the countries around that table have some experience of terrorism... They all share our complete resolution for the defeat of terrorism. It is particularly barbaric that this has happened on the day people are meeting to try and help the problem of poverty in Africa... Just as it is reasonably clear that this is a terrorist attack... it is reasonably clear it has been timed to coincide with the opening of the G8... It is important, however, that the terrorists realise our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause the death and destruction of innocent people and impose their extremism on the world. It is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we have here in this country and in other civilised countries around the world."

As much as it hurts me, this will not end. We will have to face attack after attack in the largest cities as it is practically impossible to protect them 100%.

This sucks :mad:

George Galloway:

The loss of innocent lives, whether in this country or Iraq, is precisely the result of a world that has become a less safe and peaceful place in recent years.
We have worked without rest to remove the causes of such violence from our world. We argued, as did the Security Services in this country, that the attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq would increase the threat of terrorist attack in Britain. Tragically Londoners have now paid the price of the government ignoring such warnings.
We urge the government to remove people in this country from harms way, as the Spanish government acted to remove its people from harm, by ending the occupation of Iraq and by turning its full attention to the development of a real solution to the wider conflicts in the Middle East.
Only then will the innocents here and abroad be able to enjoy a life free of the threat of needless violence.

Ken Livingston, mayor of London:

"This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful; it is not aimed at presidents or prime ministers; it was aimed at ordinary working class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christians, Hindu and Jew, young and old, indiscriminate attempt at slaughter irrespective of any considerations, of age, of class, of religion, whatever, that isn't an ideology, it isn't even a perverted faith, it's just indiscriminate attempt at mass murder, and we know what the objective is, they seek to divide London. They seek to turn Londoners against each other and Londoners will not be divided by this cowardly attack... I wish to speak through you directly, to those who came to London to claim lives, nothing you do, how many of us you kill will stop that flight to our cities where freedom is strong and where people can live in harmony with one another, whatever you do, how many you kill, you will fail."

Ironic considering that both of those men have done considerable statements of support for Islamists of one type or another over the last few years; from homophobic sheiks to Hamas terrorists.

Red Ken kept on message, Georgeous George is really just ellaborating on his prior statements and positions. It is abundantly clear where he stands in the scheme of things.

It's awful, it is, but as my husband reminded me today, in Iraq innocent people get blown up all the time, thirty or forty dead in a single day isn't anything unusual. They bleed the same way those in London did today, and they die just as horribly.

najeena said:
It's awful, it is, but as my husband reminded me today, in Iraq innocent people get blown up all the time, thirty or forty dead in a single day isn't anything unusual. They bleed the same way those in London did today, and they die just as horribly.

yeah, it's sad how quickly we've gotten bored of suicide attacks in Iraq. they rarely make the first page. I think it takes something like this that hits a little closer to home (even as an American) to remind us how cruel these terrorists are.

My dad's told me he has two theories regarding these attacks:

1: the terrorists who did it are part of Al-Queda and timed it around the G8 summit because they don't want people to help Africa with their problems, 'cause it makes their recruitment possiblities less likely .

2: the CIA gave the terrorists those weapons. The terrorists would naturally use them, and that'd give Cheney and Rumsfeld and them (Bush being exempt, because my dad says that if this happened regarding the CIA, chances are Bush wasn't informed, just like some other presidents in the past haven't been informed of things going on behind their backs-that's illegal, but it's happened) more reason to keep this war going. Some people here may not agree with this one, though.

I don't like either of these being the reason for the attacks, but if my dad happened to actually wind up being right about the second one in particular, then I'd say those who sold the weapons and all that would deserve to be punished just as much as the terrorists themselves. You don't do things like that.

Anywho, I would think that this bombing would be proof that maybe we should try and find another method to stop terrorism, because obviously the way we're waging this war on terror right now isn't working. If it was, things like this wouldn't keep happening. But they are. And we're back on alert as well. So maybe it's time to try something new.

I also get a bit irritated with people out there who will paint the Islamic faith as an evil one because of this. These people aren't any more representative of their religion than people like Jerry Falwell are representative of Christianity, for example. If people get all upset over a religion like Christianity being brushed off as a religion of death because of the actions of a few, then I would hope they'd get just as upset over people doing the same thing here.

Angela

hmm...I can't really see the second one happening. while public support for the war is pretty low, I don't feel like there's that much public pressure here to pull out right away. I could be completely off, but it seems like even people against the war generally think we should "finish what we started." (talking about American attitudes there, not necessarily European attitudes)

while I do believe it was perpetrated by al queda or a similar group, I also don't think it has anything to do with the G8's aid to Africa. I can't see the G8 backing off in aid because of a bombing, that's kind of absurd (it may allow them to get away with a lousy plan though). I think it was more about the war in Iraq and sending the message that they have no problems killing and maiming innocent civilians in any country that cooperates with the US.

VertigoGal said:
I can't see the G8 backing off in aid because of a bombing

Oh, I don't think they will, either. But I can see some fringe groups being upset because they want to recruit people into their terrorist groups and if we're nice to the people they want to recruit, it kinda defeats their plans...which ticks 'em off.

I honestly don't know about the second option, either. These are just my dad's theories, I'm personally more likely to believe the first one than the second out of the two...but who knows. Weirder stuff has happened after all.

Or maybe it had nothing to do with either of those two things, maybe it's more like what you're saying, too. Whatever the reason, we can all obviously agree it still doesn't excuse the terrorists' actions and they do need to be dealt with. How to deal with them, though, is another matter.

Angela

I had a dream last night that W was behind it. Personally behind it, I mean. He was carted off in handcuffs. Stupid dream, lol.

Had an interesting talk with my husband last night about the differences in opinion between the UK public and Blair, and Americans and Bush.

pax said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4659713.stm

What worries me about this is that the London bombings could have been planned so that officers might be released from the G8 summit to help out there...thus leaving Gleneagles more vulnerable to a follow-up attack.

Scary. :sad:

what is happening is absurd.
I don't have any words...
Just thoughts and prayers for the dead, their families and the injured people.

A Londoner's call to arms
Some will attempt to blame Tony Blair's government for bringing this horror to our capital. The people who set these bombs expect this reaction. They saw it in Madrid, and they crave it in London.

They must get the reverse. Under Blair's leadership Britain has taken its place in a war against Islamofascism, against the bombers of New York, Bali and Beslan, against those who believe that their love of death is stronger than our love of life. We saw that love clearly displayed last Saturday at 'Live 8' in one of this city's great parks - striking proof of this young, diverse nation's desire to engage with and assist the wider world.

We are right to be in this war, and right to work with progressive forces in the Islamic world who want a life free from tyranny, totalitarianism and the cult of death - such as the millions who voted in Iraq, such as the millions who today yearn for freedom in Iran. Together with our Moslem allies we must redouble our efforts - and, yes, our troop deployments - so that we can isolate and destroy Bin Ladenism wherever it chooses to make a stand, and send the clerical fascists back to the dark ages.

But many people will blame Tony Blair. Some of them have spent years saying that there is no real terror threat anyway, that the war is something worthy of inverted commas, something got up by the American right for its own dark purposes. Let yesterday prove that they were wrong. Let yesterday prove that 60 years after defeating another brand of this same poison, Londoners and Britons of all faiths and backgrounds can still see clearly who their enemies are, and refuse to bow the knee.

Phillip Craig

I have yet to see how the so-called "War on Terror" is in any way, shape or form being advanced by the war in Iraq...unless it is that the latter is giving terrorists a training ground and a recruiting boost. If Bush and co. were actually serious about fighting terrorism, they should have stuck around in Afganistan rather than pull out the troops to send them into a "pre-emptive strike" against a country that had nothing to do with Bin Laden.

I know the news channels are only doing their jobs....
But why must they keep showing it over and over and over and over again.

Isnt this just want these wankers want?....World Publicity to get noticed?

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I also know that they pulled out manpower and more importantly translators, etc. who were key to the continuing success of that operation. And last time I checked, we still weren't any closer to catching Bin Laden.

Also, from my observations from my travels and encounters with people from many different countries, the level of worldwide support for the U.S. has dropped significantly since the invasion on Iraq. People can get behind chasing terrorists in Afganistan, but no one bought Bush's lies about Iraq and no amount of post-invasion moralizing about Saddam being an evil dictator can change that.

Hey A_Wanderer

We know the WHOs

We know the WHEREs - beslan, bali, , new york, moscow....whereever the WHOs are present..

and we know the HOWs.. dont we..

I have NOW realised that the actual TERRORISTs constitute only 10% of the problem ...the remaining 90% of the problems are

- terrorism sympathisers
- terrorism condoners
- terrorism justifiers

These people are the moral boosters of terrorists....its because of such people that terrorism is flourshing in all parts of the WORLD.. I know this is extremely disgusting..but this is what it is

AcrobatMan

Back
Top Bottom